Player Watch #46: Ben Miller - Re-Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Stick with him, he had a couple of howlers in the last 5 minutes but he’s starting to look more at home at this level. It’s not as though we have anyone else knocking the door down at VFL level and until someone better comes along, play him and see how much more improvement he has in him.

Not that I’m comparing him with Rance but he looked out of his depth in his early days and took quite a while to find his feet at AFL level

We better give this guy a contract for next year, because he really is not far away from tearing a came apart off half back.

FFS how do we have none of our future under contract, didn't we learn anything from last year

Because the club is in for high priced recruits so they don’t know where what is left in the till for the uncontracted players. Miller would be a player they will surely want to re-sign but he is not one of the bigger priorities at this stage.

I might be wrong but I presume the club would be saying to players like this that if they want early certainty the club is happy to pay x, but if they want to max their contract it is best to wait.

I wouldn’t have thought you would be able to solve the Chol and CCJ type situation by offering a modest contract at this point of the season, because their managers will have been speaking with other clubs and have a decent idea of what is likely to be offered for them. So Richmond offers Miller 250 x 2, but Miller’s manager knows Essendon is likely to offer 300 x 3, Collingwood 325 x 2, and Carlton, Saints, Bulldogs are interested around a similar level, then Miller is going to wait to see what Richmond can afford to offer after the trade period reveals what is left in the cap. If Richmond makes Miller and others a market value offer now, and he accepts it could restrict what we can do in the trade period. Plenty of clubs would find themselves in a similar situation with these type of players.

Because the club is in for high priced recruits so they don’t know where what is left in the till for the uncontracted players. Miller would be a player they will surely want to re-sign but he is not one of the bigger priorities at this stage.

I might be wrong but I presume the club would be saying to players like this that if they want early certainty the club is happy to pay x, but if they want to max their contract it is best to wait.

I wouldn’t have thought you would be able to solve the Chol and CCJ type situation by offering a modest contract at this point of the season, because their managers will have been speaking with other clubs and have a decent idea of what is likely to be offered for them. So Richmond offers Miller 250 x 2, but Miller’s manager knows Essendon is likely to offer 300 x 3, Collingwood 325 x 2, and Carlton, Saints, Bulldogs are interested around a similar level, then Miller is going to wait to see what Richmond can afford to offer after the trade period reveals what is left in the cap. If Richmond makes Miller and others a market value offer now, and he accepts it could restrict what we can do in the trade period. Plenty of clubs would find themselves in a similar situation with these type of players.
The big problem is we are asking players to take less to stay when we are short coaches because Dimmas big fat contract is taking up all the soft cap.

When is Dimma going to take a cut so the players can have more coaches.?Whats good enough for the goose is good enough for the gander.

The more discussions they have with oppo clubs the more likely they are to leave . Once upon a time not so long ago our own were our priority , kids like Miller should have been signed long ago . Our list management is woeful ATM.

I like Ben also, but it won't be long before our grand wizard Dimma will play him uo forward.
Dimma and his ridiculous obsession with playing players out of position is not only costing us games but
more importantly it is having a negative impact on players careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Ben also, but it won't be long before our grand wizard Dimma will play him uo forward.
Dimma and his ridiculous obsession with playing players out of position is not only costing us games but
more importantly it is having a negative impact on players careers.
Correct.
WTF has he done to gun KPD Balta? He now looks clueless out there.

He torched Gibcus yesterday playing him forward/ruck too...

Correct.
WTF has he done to gun KPD Balta? He now looks clueless out there.

He torched Gibcus yesterday playing him forward/ruck too...
Seriously Dimma has lost the plot, I agree on the Balta observation he does look clueless. Playing Gibcus in the ruck is just plain madness.
I have no faith with Dimma anymore, he has proven time and time again that he has no plan B. His assistants are plain horrible and it shows.
Short has gone from being B&F to becoming the most expendable, is disposal is ****ing awful since becoming a mid. Our backline looked so good with Balta down there. Balta was being compared to Rance now at his stage of his career he has gone backwards. All this shit is on Dimma full stop. I appreciate everything Dimma has done but lets not forget he had the best of the best in assistant coaches. It's become very obvious that he has lost the plot.

Seriously Dimma has lost the plot, I agree on the Balta observation he does look clueless. Playing Gibcus in the ruck is just plain madness.
I have no faith with Dimma anymore, he has proven time and time again that he has no plan B. His assistants are plain horrible and it shows.
Short has gone from being B&F to becoming the most expendable, is disposal is ******* awful since becoming a mid. Our backline looked so good with Balta down there. Balta was being compared to Rance now at his stage of his career he has gone backwards. All this s**t is on Dimma full stop. I appreciate everything Dimma has done but lets not forget he had the best of the best in assistant coaches. It's become very obvious that he has lost the plot.

Balta is playing forward because Lynch is out. Dimma even said in his presser that ideally he would be down back but circumstances don’t allow it at the moment

Short has gone from being B&F to becoming the most expendable, is disposal is ******* awful since becoming a mid. Our backline looked so good with Balta down there. Balta was being compared to Rance now at his stage of his career he has gone backwards. All this s**t is on Dimma full stop. I appreciate everything Dimma has done but lets not forget he had the best of the best in assistant coaches. It's become very obvious that he has lost the plot.
Balta and Miller don't fit in the one backline with Broad, Grimes and Tarrant.

Short's disposal is the same as it ever was.

I would be giving this bloke a 3 year deal - Never will get cheaper and is a list need
Super impressed with him tonight.
Heaps to work with.

That means re-purposing Grimes. What would you do with him?
Grimes is 31. Probably only has a couple of years left.

Can play on smalls though if we wanted to try and fit them all into the current side. Gibcus will probably have to bide his time in the VFL while Tarrant is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Ben Miller - Re-Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back