Player Watch #46: Ben Miller - Re-Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Deserves the extension Mr Versatile has been an important role player for us and reckon still has plenty of improvement to come.

Embarrassed to say I was one of those who’d written him off earlier in the year after a couple of lacklustre performances in the 2s

I wrote him off last year.

Played the one game and looked a fish out of water.

At least I said I can't see him making it, not sure whether I actually wrote him off definitively last year

His first game this year was completely different even earlier in the season. Like watching a different player. IQ a lot better. Seemed more connected and more in tune with what was happening in the field

Having said all that I think the role versus Port on the weekend really suited him.
He takes some nice marks, has genuine size for the ruck, broad shoulders and not intimated and moves really well in terms of getting across the ground for a taller guy. I think the second ruck role really suits him plus the fact he can help back and possibly forward. I am still not 100 percent sure of him as a pure KPP defender long term but he certainly can defend and contribute to the team and his attributes allow him to help us in different and unique ways. Put him on a Cameron when he moves up the ground or a Blicavs? There are possibilities and he does not get in the way of Lynch and JR either so I think he is a bit of a gem in terms of role fit for our combination and something we have lacked. He has swingman attributes. I think he is a bit elusive because he covers the ground so well for a tall guy. I think he is a better fit than Chol because he seems more versatile and less forward focused which we already have covered with our weapons.

I think he helps our midfielders to. He is a mobile marking option that provides a outlet. I like him roaming around. He is far more mobile for you average ruck support with size. I think our midfield have busted themselves too much with handball at times and Sonsie elite kicking and Miller as a marking linking option really re-energises our midfield and complements the likes of Prestia where aerial dominance is not their strong suit.

Other than that, he is only young and must have further upside so who knows how well he goes. Hope all the best for him and us

He is almost like a claytons CHF in a swing role at times, when he is there and you do not really need one but he contributes chips in and does a few different things. He is unassuming on the field and sneaky seemingly being able to perform different roles at different times without structurally thinking about it. I quite like what he brings up the ground. Almost like a Nik Cox but with some size and presence. It really is something different and I am not sure what oppositions think of what to do with him if anything at all either. It really is about him making our combination better through greater synergy and its hard for opponents to stop that because they cannot stop everybody and different connections. Bit like a Sam Reid and even a guy like Finlayson has been popular up the ground of late

Last edited:

I have been singing Ben Millers praises for a few years now and always maintained he will be a good reliable player that has many strings to his bow
Foward , Ruck , Defence and at 198cm 100kgs and a good leap with excellent speed and agility is the perfect swingman to compliment Balta & Gibcus

Get this man to 50 games

Last edited:
I have been singing Ben Millers praises for a few years now and always maintained he will be a good reliable player that has many strings to his bow
Foward , Ruck , Defence and at 98cm 100kgs and a good leap with excellent speed and agility is the perfect swingman to compliment Balta & Gibcus

Get this man to 50 games
He must have a great spring if he is 98cm...

He is rucking well which is a bit of a surprise given he hasn't rucked since his junior days. Spent his time in the forward line trying to get out of Lynch's way, as he should have given Lynch's form. Looks to have put himself into a finals side, which half way through the season would have felt like a pipe dream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn’t have Baltas leap at the centre bounce but enough to be surprisingly effective. But at the boundary throw ins used his body better than Balta has in the past. Also great follow up work when the ball hit the deck. Overall not dominated by McEvoy when they were opposed and provided some effective taps. Looks a modern day second ruck and will become more effective up forward

He is rucking well which is a bit of a surprise given he hasn't rucked since his junior days. Spent his time in the forward line trying to get out of Lynch's way, as he should have given Lynch's form. Looks to have put himself into a finals side, which half way through the season would have felt like a pipe dream.

If you recal: Miller was trading for ruck during finals 2020 when Soldo was still out injured and only really Nank. He was ready to go ;
Typical Richmond priming players for multiple positions

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Vertical jump in ruck contests is really impressive. I know he hasn’t matched up on anyone amazing in the middle yet but looks to be a pretty decent 2nd ruck with that leap and ground level stuff.

He’s been my surprise package of the season. I think he’s going to be that player that we can swing all over the ground. He’ll never be the main man but a very handy 3rd tall down back/forward and 2nd ruck

Just wanted to echo the sentiments in here, he has been fantastic as a 2nd ruck. I was never convinced of him as a pure defender, admittedly it was only a small sample size and he is still only 22.

Never the less, as a 2nd ruck he really has added something to our game. Holds his own in the ruck contest (wins more than his share of hit-outs to advantage) and thereafter is good below his knees, good hands to flick the ball out to our mids and has pace for his size. Really like him in the position and he's locked in there for the rest of this season and I think moving into 2023.

Was interesting seeing him line up on McEvoy a few times, for a couple of weeks prior to Sunday I'd been thinking that there's more than a few similarities between the two.

What he did on the weekend only reinforced that opinion, watching him being the decisive spoiler on the wings in pack situations and jockeying for position at stoppage ruck contests like a key defender.

Thought he played a great decoy role when up forward against the Hawks.Kept a defender out so Lynch could launA

Was interesting seeing him line up on McEvoy a few times, for a couple of weeks prior to Sunday I'd been thinking that there's more than a few similarities between the two.

What he did on the weekend only reinforced that opinion, watching him being the decisive spoiler on the wings in pack situations and jockeying for position at stoppage ruck contests like a key defender.
Clearances are the key and he delivered, will only get better

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Ben Miller - Re-Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back