Autopsy 76 point Team Effort win vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Hawks had the right intensity, just no game plan.

If you could tell me what the Hawks were trying to do I'd be all ears but it looked like they had little structure going forward and no plan for defence

They tried to clog up the corridor and stop our run through the middle. When that didn’t work, they had no idea what to do.

Have just watched full Replay of the game and can categorically say The Wicks saga is complete BS. Mainly all in the last qtr and after game interacted and celebrated with team mates, laughed and joked and looked every bit apart of the team in the song afterwards. His first goal from that brilliant pick up was celebrated with him by several team mates, the second in question was a case of him being the deepest forward in the square on a hard running transition goal. Jordan, Hayward and couple of others were looking for a spell and a drink rather than jumping all over Wicks who did take an eternity to get back up near the top of the 50 to get a drink. Fizz was also out of the goal by then and I hate to say it but I think there was a bit of lack of excitement there because blokes in the vicinity were thinking this is a bit easy. Although I don’t like it let’s face it Hawks although having a crack were shocking. We were good without being brilliant and the best part about that is there so much improvement in this side as the year goes on. Keep working there backsides off doing the hard things on and off the ball, being super competitive banking wins and come September we should be really at our peak.
Post of the week oldtimer 55 years following

They tried to clog up the corridor and stop our run through the middle. When that didn’t work, they had no idea what to do.
No for once , we got the ball and they all flooded back , he's a shocking coach , they got it a few times , no one to kick to , panicked turned it over and we shat on them

Noticed that Grundy attended 69% of Centre Bounce attendances (CBAs),down on his season average of 77% (which obviously includes this game).
McLean 2nd highest CBAs for the year with 27% and Amartey 4%, his first CBAs for the season.
(HOs Grundy 29, McLean 15 & Amartey 1).

Only similar CBA stats are from game v Collingwood.

Now of course it could be Grundy was carrying a slight niggle, but I'd be more inclined to think it's tactical.
Neither Cameron/Cox or Meek/Chol are particularly highly rated and just as important overly physical so give Brodie a bit of in game rest so he can play greater minutes against the better, stronger rucks?

Over 80% CBAs for Grundy this season are V Gawn 83%, Nankervis 88% and Witts 85%.

Matters to me as a little conundrum of why coaches sometimes see things so differently. Another conundrum is why you would bother to comment. Cheer cheer.

Haha.. it isn’t just the coaches seeing things differently.

I had a squizz at our poty voting. Reckon eleven or twelve players have.got votes. None are ill deserved. Guess this is what team effort means Will be interesting to see what the umps made of it in their voting.

Haha.. it isn’t just the coaches seeing things differently.

I had a squizz at our poty voting. Reckon eleven or twelve players have.got votes. None are ill deserved. Guess this is what team effort means Will be interesting to see what the umps made of it in their voting.
Yes it's gonna be a tough choice for them who to give 3 votes to. Lots of options. Heeney, Florent, Lachie Neale.

Did anyone else notice the worried look on his face when Florent kicked that 50m goal?

Talk about once bitten twice shy, he refused to even hope it was a goal until goal umpy signalled it. Only then did he allow himself a weak smile.

I suppose it's better than rolling around on the ground hugging your teammate on live TV without realising it'd been touched on the line

Made some GIFs of some various moments that caught my eye.

Brilliance

Lewis Melican through heavy traffic if you don't mind! This is a guy who is playing good footy and he knows it. I could've included countless other examples of him playing in front and then taking off once he marked it.

200.gif

The collect, the steady, the goal. Just awesome from Wicks.

200.gif

Quite possibly one of the sexiest plays you'll see this year. This can only come from three players knowing exactly what each guy is going to do and anticipating it.

200.gif

Jakey Lloyd with the double fake. Just smarts. Knew exactly what he was gonna do.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Unseen & Unsung

Warner has copped it from many (myself included) for his work rate with the ball vs without it. But the way he gets after this and keeps at it after his initial fluffed handball is so good to see.

Florent's brilliant goal on the run was awesome, helped in part by Rowbottom effecting the oncoming Newcombe from impeding Florent's run at goal. The way Rowbottom doesn't switch off when snubbed for the receive but instead instantly switches from offensive to defensive once he knows what Florent's gonna do and lays the shepherd is so important.

Some discussion about how the game has gone past Jake Lloyd. On the contrary, I believe the game has come back around to him. He's just spent so long getting dinky touches hemmed into the back pocket that we forget what a seriously good runner he is. Watch the way he surges forward here, and there were other examples I could've used. That's Errol Gulden stuff, and it's perfect for our game and the way we play.

Wholesome

Said this last week but you seriously need replays to appreciate all that James Rowbottom does. In this case, it's not actually him doing anything, it's Logan McDonald, but for a guy who has laid over 600 tackles in his career and will probably go down as the club's greatest ever tackler, he has never looked so excited by a tackle being laid before. He is just team-first always, it's bloody great.

Free Comedy

Ending on a light note, this shot of Brodie Grundy cracked me up. Standing on the mark after giving away a free, he's just checking out the replay like he's mentally planning the absolutely petty review he's gonna write about the umpiring.

200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have just watched full Replay of the game and can categorically say The Wicks saga is complete BS. Mainly all in the last qtr and after game interacted and celebrated with team mates, laughed and joked and looked every bit apart of the team in the song afterwards. His first goal from that brilliant pick up was celebrated with him by several team mates, the second in question was a case of him being the deepest forward in the square on a hard running transition goal. Jordan, Hayward and couple of others were looking for a spell and a drink rather than jumping all over Wicks who did take an eternity to get back up near the top of the 50 to get a drink. Fizz was also out of the goal by then and I hate to say it but I think there was a bit of lack of excitement there because blokes in the vicinity were thinking this is a bit easy. Although I don’t like it let’s face it Hawks although having a crack were shocking. We were good without being brilliant and the best part about that is there so much improvement in this side as the year goes on. Keep working there backsides off doing the hard things on and off the ball, being super competitive banking wins and come September we should be really at our peak.
Of course it's BS.

Options for Melbourne media

1. Report positively about the Swans' footy - means acknowledging the skills, coaching, determination and team culture.
2. Ignore the Swans - increasingly difficult come September
3. Report negatively about the Swans outside footy - whether there's any basis in truth or not

Why 3?

1. Read by South Melbourne fans
2. Read by no-one
3. Read by everyone

Options for Swans

1. Comment - we're admitting there's a grain of truth to it
2. Don't comment - we must be hiding something
3. Deny it - we're confirming it
4. Confirm it - we must be hiding a bigger problem

Number 2 is our best option. The news cycle moves on quickly

Brilliance

Lewis Melican through heavy traffic if you don't mind! This is a guy who is playing good footy and he knows it. I could've included countless other examples of him playing in front and then taking off once he marked it.

View attachment 1974872

View attachment 1974873

Quite possibly one of the sexiest plays you'll see this year. This can only come from three players knowing exactly what each guy is going to do and anticipating it.

View attachment 1974875

Jakey Lloyd with the double fake. Just smarts. Knew exactly what he was gonna do.

View attachment 1974876

Unseen & Unsung

Warner has copped it from many (myself included) for his work rate with the ball vs without it. But the way he gets after this and keeps at it after his initial fluffed handball is so good to see.

View attachment 1974877

Florent's brilliant goal on the run was awesome, helped in part by Rowbottom effecting the oncoming Newcombe from impeding Florent's run at goal. The way Rowbottom doesn't switch off when snubbed for the receive but instead instantly switches from offensive to defensive once he knows what Florent's gonna do and lays the shepherd is so important.

View attachment 1974881

Some discussion about how the game has gone past Jake Lloyd. On the contrary, I believe the game has come back around to him. He's just spent so long getting dinky touches hemmed into the back pocket that we forget what a seriously good runner he is. Watch the way he surges forward here, and there were other examples I could've used. That's Errol Gulden stuff, and it's perfect for our game and the way we play.

View attachment 1974882

Wholesome

Said this last week but you seriously need replays to appreciate all that James Rowbottom does. In this case, it's not actually him doing anything, it's Logan McDonald, but for a guy who has laid over 600 tackles in his career and will probably go down as the club's greatest ever tackler, he has never looked so excited by a tackle being laid before. He is just team-first always, it's bloody great.

View attachment 1974886

Free Comedy

Ending on a light note, this shot of Brodie Grundy cracked me up. Standing on the mark after giving away a free, he's just checking out the replay like he's mentally planning the absolutely petty review he's gonna write about the umpiring.

View attachment 1974887
Some great leadership and great teamwork on display. These guys are playing for each other.

Rowy is a future captain of our club

I feel like Sam Mitchell's attitude towards his players getting more aggressive as the game went on didn't help his team.

He started the game with a group that was fully committed but making mistakes and ended it with a group who looked like they barely gave a damn and were still making mistakes.

I'm no coaching expert but just seemed like the totally wrong approach to take with a young side that was having a genuine crack against a team way above them.

Reminds me of Glenn Hoddle coaching.

Highly skilled player who just can't imagine why the players he coaches aren't able to do what he could. 3 dimensional thinking that's wasted on 2 dimensional players

Tough year ahead for them, another club that cut way too deep, way too early

Noticed that Grundy attended 69% of Centre Bounce attendances (CBAs),down on his season average of 77% (which obviously includes this game).
McLean 2nd highest CBAs for the year with 27% and Amartey 4%, his first CBAs for the season.
(HOs Grundy 29, McLean 15 & Amartey 1).

Only similar CBA stats are from game v Collingwood.

Now of course it could be Grundy was carrying a slight niggle, but I'd be more inclined to think it's tactical.
Neither Cameron/Cox or Meek/Chol are particularly highly rated and just as important overly physical so give Brodie a bit of in game rest so he can play greater minutes against the better, stronger rucks?

Over 80% CBAs for Grundy this season are V Gawn 83%, Nankervis 88% and Witts 85%.
Very well observed.

Some great leadership and great teamwork on display. These guys are playing for each other.

Rowy is a future captain of our club
My fav moment was Heeney saluting the ‘captain’ (Rowbottom) after his 50m goal. Pretty sure Rowy has 100% respect from all around him.

Last edited:

Brilliance

View attachment 1974872

View attachment 1974873

View attachment 1974875

View attachment 1974876

Unseen & Unsung

View attachment 1974877

View attachment 1974881

View attachment 1974882

Wholesome

View attachment 1974886

Free Comedy

View attachment 1974887

Re Melican, Horse said his anticipation is a real strength & you see it in your example with him being the first one to anticipate & react to the bobbly ball which allows him to surge through the attempted tackles.

Re Lloyd, he also made a good play when he received a handball on the run from a player who had a FK. This allowed him to kick the footy with some pace into our F50 resulting in a mark. I would love to see more of our runners do this during a game, especially as an alternative to bombing it long. It's a good way to bring pace on the footy & get others up field moving around rather than being stationary.

Brilliance

View attachment 1974872

View attachment 1974873

View attachment 1974875

View attachment 1974876

Unseen & Unsung

View attachment 1974877

View attachment 1974881

View attachment 1974882

Wholesome

View attachment 1974886

Free Comedy

View attachment 1974887

A gif of me appreciating the hard work you put into the post

IMG_0670.gif

A gif of me appreciating the hard work you put into the post

View attachment 1975465
Thanks Dad

So you could say I'm the GIFt that keeps on giving

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 76 point Team Effort win vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back