Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Baker signs contract

To buy a new house in wa

RFC / Dimma didn’t want any of them . Ellis’ demotation to the reserves confirms he hasn’t rated him as a player now at two clubs .
I think Ellis had been on very good contract at RFC $500k, I believe, and was offered similar by Suns early 2020. He was a walk up start for 8 years under Dimma. Never dropped. Won 2 flags. who rated him?

GCS rated his running we didn't match the large contract and were stiffed on the compo.

Ellis only played 16 games 2023, , so already out of favour as a 30 y.o.

Last edited:

I think Ellis had been on very good contract at RFC $500k, I believe, and was offered similar by Suns early 2020. He was a walk up start for 8 years under Dimma. Never dropped. Won 2 flags. who rated him?

GCS rated his running we didn't match the large contract and were stiffed on the compo.

Check your facts he started seasons in the vfl

Check your facts he started seasons in the vfl

Insane money at RFC $500k, Was offered similar by Suns early 2020. He was a walk up start for 8 years under Dimma. NEVER injured NEVER dropped. Won 2 flags.

Please define "rating/not rating" for me

Ellis only played 16 games in 2023, first 3 in 2024 so already out of favour/form BEFORE Dimma arrived

Last edited:
RFC / Dimma didn’t want any of them . Ellis’ demotation to the reserves confirms he hasn’t rated him as a player now at two clubs .
CCJ serves his suspension in 2021 and basically not dropped. North offer 500k/year to a 10 gamer. We don't match cos he's behind Nank, Soldo, Lynch & JR.

CJ & Chol offered money and senior games at new clubs. CJ& Chol would be very handy as KPF in 2024, but IMO Dusty & Lynch contracts mean we can't retain players.

Baker with 2 clubs after him? ..on past form, we don't retain him.

Twomey reporting that Richmond have tabled a 5 year deal to keep Baker, while Fremantle have offered a similar length deal. No word on what WCE have offered but they are definitely interested.

CCJ serves his suspension in 2021 and basically not dropped. North offer 500k/year to a 10 gamer. We don't match cos he's behind Nank, Soldo, Lynch & JR.

CJ & Chol offered money and senior games at new clubs. CJ& Chol would be very handy as KPF in 2024, but IMO Dusty & Lynch contracts mean we can't retain players.

Baker with 2 clubs after him? ..on past form, we don't retain him.
CCJ, Chol and Ellis were expendable.

Baker is not. He is very much required and I'm confident the club will try it's hardest to keep him.

The smart move is to let Baker go. 27 next year. This club's list is a million miles off competing again. The fact the list is so far off means we need to be aggressive.

No time for sentiment. Obviously only if the club is confident it can get a quality first round pick in exchange. A massive contract and a few more years of Baker's prime while we finish bottom 4 vs a possible 10 year player walking in the door

Baker's value will never be higher than it is now.

I guess WCE shouldn't bother going after Baker then.

They are even further away than us from contending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t need Baker as he’s replaceable and his role isn’t actually going to improve us. We need low draft picks so we can get genuine mids or tall forwards. He’s just a faux Pas tough guy Back pocket/ HBF. They’re a dime a dozen so let’s start building a team from scratch around genuine quality left on the list . I know he’s highly rated here, but if he can get us an early first for the role he plays then let’s take it and bank it.

Twomey reporting that Richmond have tabled a 5 year deal to keep Baker, while Fremantle have offered a similar length deal. No word on what WCE have offered but they are definitely interested.

Gotta let him go, gotta cash in on these sorts

He’s not an elite talent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geelong fans actually think Selwood is a good media performer, where as Richmond fans admit Cotch is bad in the media lol...
At least with Cotch, what you see, is what you get. I reckon that's why he is so revered at Tigerland

Gale never spoke directly about Cotch’s comments in any negative way , it was a beat up by 7 .
Much the same about Cotchin’s comments about baker leaving . ‘ the massive offers being offered would be hard to pass up ‘ or words to that affect are a long way from ‘ baker is leaving ‘ .
People need to learn to listen what is actually said not what the media like to spin including via edits and their own presenters voice overs .
Good post. The media try to polish any turds they can into a click-diamond*

* I just invented the phrase "click-diamond" so anyone using it from now on is welcome, but please make a $100 donation to the brick 🧱 by brick Punt Rd redevelopment fund in return.

Thanks kids.

Dem facts

We don’t need Baker as he’s replaceable and his role isn’t actually going to improve us. We need low draft picks so we can get genuine mids or tall forwards. He’s just a faux Pas tough guy Back pocket/ HBF. They’re a dime a dozen so let’s start building a team from scratch around genuine quality left on the list . I know he’s highly rated here, but if he can get us an early first for the role he plays then let’s take it and bank it.
I’ve heard this a few times now, he’s replaceable.
Can you expand on that?
Who would replace him if he left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back