Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Among mid forwards and medium forwards he ranks.

#1 for Disposals @20.6.
#4 for Player Rating @11.29.
#5 for Metres Gained @326.9
#2 for Contested Possessions @8.5.
#4 for Ground Ball Gets @5.5.
#2 for Clearances @3.5.
#8 for Score Involvements @5.5.
#1 for Score launches @1.8
#7 for Tackles @3.7.
#3 for Pressure Acts @21.7.

One or two quieter games doesn't change the fact that he is one of the best half forward flankers in the competition and is every bit worth a top 10 pick or thereabouts. If we can't get what he is worth in a trade then we should look to extend him for one year and allow West Coast to come in with an offer next season that will deliver us band one compo.
Most surprising thing in this whole post is the fact that you rated him against Medium Forwards. Pretty sure Bakes needs to stand on a milk crate to look a medium forward in the eye.

Plenty of players aren't worth the pick they're traded for. WA teams have trouble landing players. Freo have nobody in their team with proven finals success. WCE are desperate for experiences leaders. We're on the bottom of the ladder, neither can threaten to walk him to the preseason Draft. Collingwood gave up pick 34 and their 1st round pick (currently 10 probably ends up 8/9) Bakers better than Schultz. He's not a FA, he's in demand and a club can hardly offer a player a salary of say $800 -$900k then say he's worth pick 20? If a club values a player enough to pay a high salary then the price is a top 10 pick minimum. Probably more.
Jackson won a flag

why couldnt we trade Baker & something for pick 3?
Its not supposed to be a high quality draft so i think that wouldnt be unreasonable.

This is a strong and deep draft. Just no standout #1.

Pick 3 is very close to 1 in what we could get.

Having said that Baker would be gold for WC. And gold for us to keep. Don't really want to trade him. Pick 3 would do it though.

Pick 3 for Baker?

Sign Count Me In GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a strong and deep draft. Just no standout #1.

Pick 3 is very close to 1 in what we could get.

Having said that Baker would be gold for WC. And gold for us to keep. Don't really want to trade him. Pick 3 would do it though.
We're not getting pick 3 for Baker

We're not getting pick 3 for Baker
If Baker wants out and picks the Eagles, then I'd be asking them for their 2024 & 2025 R2 picks and moving on. I don't believe WCE are going to move out from pick 2 or 3 to get a lower R1 pick to hand to us nor should they. Their R2 pick this year currently sits at 23, could even be 22 or 21 by seasons end now that Simpson is gone. Their R2 pick in 2025 will be around the similar spot. So we'd get 2 top 30 rated kids for Baker who was a rookie selection that we hit the jackpot on.

If Baker wants out and picks the Eagles, then I'd be asking them for their 2024 & 2025 R2 picks and moving on. I don't believe WCE are going to move out from pick 2 or 3 to get a lower R1 pick to hand to us nor should they. Their R2 pick this year currently sits at 23, could even be 22 or 21 by seasons end now that Simpson is gone. Their R2 pick in 2025 will be around the similar spot. So we'd get 2 top 30 rated kids for Baker who was a rookie selection that we hit the jackpot on.
We'd be getting absolutely shafted, but if he wants out you'd have to make it happen I guess.

We'd be getting absolutely shafted, but if he wants out you'd have to make it happen I guess.
Ideally we all want the best possible pick for Baker if he leaves, but if he chooses WCE then there is a simple and straight forward deal there to be done and we move on. Adding the 2024 R2 pick in particular, makes it easier for us to bundle up with some of our other picks and get inside the top 20 while also strengthening our draft hand for next year as well.

If he picks Fremantle well then you ask for the best of their 3 R1 picks this year which again is another pretty straight forward deal to get done.

Pick 3 for Baker and our 2nd rounder (~pick 21) is a fair deal. If West C won't do that, we tell him we aint trading him to West C and he then has the choice of staying or Freo.
I love (not) how people say ‘we’ as if they are the lost manager.

Why would Baler want to go to a Club that just sacked its coach. He doesn’t know who the coach is now and may not know for some time. I think he is staying

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back