Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Initially I thought McDonald back was an ok call to release Blakey/Rampe from playing deep key back but Blakeys poor form and Fox being a horrible forward did hinder us a lot with this move.

To Logan’s credit he did an ok job down back but he needs to be our spearhead up forward.

I’m not a Florent fan and his first half was diabolical with his constant costly fumbles but you can’t deny he’s a good set shot at goal when he gets an opportunity. His last quarter was solid.

I mean literally every time they went forward they scored for 90% of the game i think off the top of my head 3 goals conceded on the goal line.

Defense was absolute shambles for most of the evening.

I mean literally every time they went forward they scored for 90% of the game i think off the top of my head 3 goals conceded on the goal line.

I flagged it as a weakness at the beginning of the season but I thought they had improved but now they've fallen off a cliff.

Honestly, might be in the minority here, but there were periods of the game where I didn't mind Logan as a defender.

Yes, I cracked the shits when he got run down, but he had some nice moments back there, and I honestly thought he looked more comfortable than Tom McCartin.

I still think he will and should immediately go forward when Melican is back, but I don't mind that they were trying things with our forward set-up and to help him gain some confidence.

The 2 coaching decisions I took issue with were Cleary as the sub in the first place (as you mentioned) and Fox as a forward. Fox is simply not a forward. We saw this in the Richmond game earlier this year, and we keep seeing it, yet the coaches persist with it.
Pretty sure Fox would have been playing a defensive role in the F50. Who was on Darcy Moore? I hardly saw him all night.

Surely the questions about Parker's spot in the side are done now, along with the ridiculous suggestion that his comeback started our slide. What a great weapon to have. Showed his versatility, experience and hardness at various points throughout the night. No need to even think about the sub vest when he can contribute resting forward like that.

I logged on to the game day thread half way through the third quarter just to try and get some views on one particular umpiring decision that had occurred in front of me and quickly slammed the lid back on. It was pretty awful stuff.
That's why I rarely visit or post in a game day thread. Too much emotion so little thought between the brain and keyboard.

But if you can't vent here safely then where can you?

This is what I would do if I was coach:

1. Mills in defence permanently

2. Parker forward

3. Fox defence

4. Blakey to wing (a premiership winning move)

5. Logan CHF

6. Chad out of the guts

7. Adams/ Rowie in the guts

8. Heeney as the utility - in the guts then floats forward to kick a couple

Too many players confused about their role. But we will work it out I’m sure.

More friendly observations from JHWF.

It's that pesky travelling thing like McRae said would of been different if it was at the G
Several times last night the commentators said that the pies enjoy travelling. Of course they do, it's a novelty for them! It's just like having an excursion and they must be so excited during the week and find it difficult to sleep the night before the big plane ride.

Heeneys last qtr was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen. A tonne of the ball, brutal contests won, clutch goal and monster marks. Just an insane level of footy.

For how good heeney was, mccartin was just as bad. He's like watching grand parent deterioate atm. His footy iq seems to be going backwards. His decision making is by far the worst in the league. He takes too long with the ball and has an uncanny ability to either turn the ball over or get pinged holding the ball when 99.9% of players would be able to force a ball up.

He is a pure liability out there atm
He is a second KPD who has to play as a first.

Mostly that was down to far superior organisation around the ruck contest IMO. You can tell the coaching is far superior.
They knew where people were going to be to transition the ball away from the contested ball and quickly up field - as opposed to our play which was disjointed, disorganised and random. The contrast was amazing in the third quarter. They were drilled in systems, we relied on chance and individuals. Could have torn what's left of my hair out watching us try and lope handballs over the guy coming in to tackle - a tactic they were obviously well prepared for the amount of times they intercepted it, battered it down or were waiting to smash the receiver. By contrast thy had runners where they expected them to be and moved the ball really well.

The ball coming in like it did for them made it virtually impossible for our defenders - who were up against a superior forward line to ours in terms of marking power, and when the ball hit the deck.

If not for Heeney, Parker, Chad just willing us back into the game...

I've been critical lately and even suggested his spot could be under scrutiny moreso than other established players but he was brilliant last night.
I like Oli, but he was a mess in the first half or so. Fumbles galore.

I think he stays though, had some good moments later on. And Blakey was even worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well then. What to make of that.

Awful for decent chunks of it, and our season effectively looked on life support for early in the last. Then someone found the defibrillator and gave it an almighty jolt and we responded.

Heeney - we need to see more quarters like that last quarter in coming weeks.. absolutely massive.

There is a lot to improve on, and we have to play a lot better when it matters - but wins like that, when things look almost completely desperate, are what can flick the switch on a season. It took massive heart to get off the canvas and find a way.

And to the massive bellend Pies fan in the O'Reilly near us that spent the whole night baiting swans fans and trying to pick a fight. I hope that karma semi trailer that came along and knocked the wind out of your sails teaches you to watch the game, barrack for your team, and drop the f***wit behaviour. A lot of people enjoyed watching you slink off at the end.
I was there, too, a few rows back. I recognised the Collingwood's fan face from somewhere...I'm fairly sure he's an ex-Swans employee, which makes it even funnier.

This is what I would do if I was coach:

1. Mills in defence permanently

2. Parker forward

3. Fox defence

4. Blakey to wing (a premiership winning move)

5. Logan CHF

6. Chad out of the guts

7. Adams/ Rowie in the guts

8. Heeney as the utility - in the guts then floats forward to kick a couple

Too many players confused about their role. But we will work it out I’m sure.

More friendly observations from JHWF.
You forgot:

9. Gus in

No need to thank me.

The game turned when Hayward got the behind to open the last qtr scoring, Campbell was about to go wide , instead shifted corridor and we took risks and ran like we did most of the year, woke up then
The eyebrow raiser for me was in the last quarter when Mills got the ball in the d50 and handballed it under pressure to a player running past. The difference with this handball was that, although it was under pressure, it wasn't a get out of jail handball, but rather a handball with aggressive intent. It started a chain down the ground and we started to run.

It was at that point that I think we stopped just running to chase players and started to run to create. For mine (yes, mine) that is when it started to change.

Sydney needed to respond on field after the debacle last week, and a quick couple of goals early on seemed to paint a positive image for the game but that turned out to be a mirage. For most of the game Collingwood were doing enough to hold the Swans at arms length, and then skipping out to a 27point lead looked to be home and hosed but somehow Sydney found something within them and dug deep when needed.
I questioned if the players had any pride in the Guernsey after the debacle last week , and this game showed they did.
Parker was a standout throughout the game, and Heeney with one of the best final quarter performances of the season , if not all time.
More importantly, the win to help stop the slide for now and hopefully some self belief and confidence back in the players.

I enjoyed the win, but I'm hoping the players and coaches don't just assume we're back.

We beat a mediocre team by 3 on our home deck, looked a shell of our former selves for most of the night and got over the top with 20 mins of guts. Pies had left the door open with some wayward kicking and stuff ups going forward.

We'll be back if we bring the same intensity that we showed late (and for a bit of the first), for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back