Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Bockchoy67
Surely you jest, Stiffy. ;)

Not only did Mattner find close targets, he has also added some grunt to a side that serverely lacks intensity.

Mattner also played the majority of the game on Lonie and Woewodin, who basically had no real effect on the game.

And that handball? Yes, it was there, but at least he gave a second effort, found the ball, and found his target. Unlike Scott Welsh who looked at the ball like it was full of nails.

I was at the game Stiff, and I was happy with Mattner's performance.

I agree he gets in and fights for the ball he deserves another game and Skippy needs to stay in also to get him some confidence and show what he can do;)

Originally posted by maccas_no1
I agree he gets in and fights for the ball he deserves another game and Skippy needs to stay in also to get him some confidence and show what he can do;)
Skippys AFL career expired Friday night.

Originally posted by Wayne's-World
Skippys AFL career expired Friday night.
No it didnt.

I cant believe how much **** people are giving Skippy after Fridays performance

I thought he was very good. He wasnt our worst player either. I thought he really got in there and tried, and his disposal in my opinion was right up to AFL scratch.

What does everyone here expect of our players? To be blo0 dy magicians? It will never happen.:rolleyes:

Most people on here expect way to much of our players. Ok, so some really arent up to scratch. But Skippy is NOT one of those. Its his first AFl game for a while and he definately deserves to stay next week.

Jericho was chatting to a couple of lovelies out in the foyer at one stage I noticed he seems to like the girls with the plunging necklines, but hey who doesnt:D :p
Hehe :p

Jezza is a really nice bloke I think. Ive had a couple of good chats with him about his games for the crows. Top bloke. Very modest and a little shy.

And I'm sure his girlfriend would love to hear what he got up to! Shes a top chick also.

Originally posted by RaDaR ReiLLy
No it didnt.

I thought he was very good. He wasnt our worst player either. I thought he really got in there and tried, and his disposal in my opinion was right up to AFL scratch.

What does everyone here expect of our players? To be blo0 dy magicians? It will never happen.:rolleyes:

Most people on here expect way to much of our players. Ok, so some really arent up to scratch. But Skippy is NOT one of those. Its his first AFl game for a while and he definately deserves to stay next week.

Spot On Skippy played well and will be in the side this week, thats exactly what he doesnt want is be contin ually in and out of the side

Spot On Skippy played well and will be in the side this week, thats exactly what he doesnt want is be contin ually in and out of the side
ANd he shouldnt be continually in and out of the side.

The problem on this board is that too many people remember players for the bad things they did in the past. AT the moment, Skippy is recieving this treatment. If people forgot about his bad games and focussed fully on Friday nights game, sane people would see that he was very good and that he deserves to be praised on his current form.

;)

No it didnt.

The point is everyone on an AFL list can play footy well.
I believe Skippy works as hard if not harder than anyone on our list.
But unfotunately his physical attributes for a small player finds him wanting at this level. Infuriating really when players with better physical attributes don't work anywhere near as hard , but can still get a game.

Yes he was our worst player.
No he can't kick longer than 40mtrs, no he isn't fast enough, can't run the lines (which a player of his stature must do), and he continually gets caught with the ball.

Not being tough, just realistic, in the dog eat dog world of AFL.

Hehe :p

Jezza is a really nice bloke I think. Ive had a couple of good chats with him about his games for the crows. Top bloke. Very modest and a little shy.

And I'm sure his girlfriend would love to hear what he got up to! Shes a top chick also.

Yeah she is a great girl, I met her last yr ;)

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Another game I see us losing at this early stage.

IN: Reilly, Schuback, Torney, Bode, Watts, M. Stevens (if he pulls up OK)
OUT: Shirley, Mattner, Skipworth, Begley (inj), Bassett (inj), Welsh (if he doesn't get suspended he should be dropped)

_F: _ 6. Fergus Watts _ 19. Mark Stevens _ 26. Jacob Schuback
HF: _ 18. Graham Johncock _ 2. Wayne Carey _ 30. Luke Jericho
_C: _ 33. Brent Reilly _ 32. Mark Ricciuto _ 40. Chris Ladhams
HB: _ 3. Kris Massie _ 16. Ken McGregor _ 9. Tyson Edwards
_B: _ 15. Jason Torney _ 37. Trent Hentschel _ 34. Ben Hart
1R: _ 4. Matthew Clarke _ 20. Tyson Stenglein _ 23. Andrew McLeod

INT: _ 10. Matthew Bode _ 11. Michael Doughty _ 13. Ben Hudson _ 44. Nathan Bock

Thoughts??????

How about bringing Rutten in at CHB to free Kenny up to play CHF, I think if Stevo plays it will be off the bench for perhaps 10-15 mins per QTR, I recon they'll keep Skipworth in even though he can't kick the ball 40 metres, Torney would add a bit of hardness in the back half so I recon thats a good call

We will lose this one unless players start to hit targets and work for each other, how many times do you see Teams like Brisbane and Essendon shepherd and back one another up? How may times do you see the Crows do this?

Re: Re: Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

Originally posted by iceman21

How about bringing Rutten in at CHB to free Kenny up to play CHF

I can see Shwab licking his lips now if Rutten played CHB against Hawthorn.

Croad at CHF would look like a superstar on him - the tortoise vs the hare.

Rutten can't play in defense at AFL level because he would be exploited for his total lack of pace.

If he plays at all, it would have to be at FF or in the pocket - but I can't see it .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As macca23 said Rutten would ge chewed up at CHB. The only position he can play in the AFL is FF.

Has anyone heard how did Stevo pull up from the game?????? If he has pulled up OK then its hard to ignore his 8 goal performace. He was fantastc. I guess the risk with all this is that players coming back from a long injury lay-off generally come out firing in their first game and struggle for a month after that.

Re: Re: Re: Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

Originally posted by macca23
I can see Shwab licking his lips now if Rutten played CHB against Hawthorn.

Croad at CHF would look like a superstar on him - the tortoise vs the hare.

Rutten can't play in defense at AFL level because he would be exploited for his total lack of pace.

If he plays at all, it would have to be at FF or in the pocket - but I can't see it .

Kenny Mac was never really fast but grew into the spot, I'm not saying to play him on a quick moving player but could he ,say last friday have played against someone like Rocca?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

Kenny Mac was never really fast but grew into the spot, I'm not saying to play him on a quick moving player but could he ,say last friday have played against someone like Rocca?

Rocca would have made mince meat of Rutten.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

Yet you guys are saying to try these guys!

Sorry but seems to me it couldn't hurt
By all means try them BUT try them in positions that they are likely to play in AFL. For as long as Rutten doesn't improve his pace and mobility he will never be quick enough to play key defensive position. Due to his limitations he is best suited at FF when it come to AFL footy. Even then he will look good when we have the ball but he will labour when opposition has it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

By all means try them BUT try them in positions that they are likely to play in AFL. For as long as Rutten doesn't improve his pace and mobility he will never be quick enough to play key defensive position. Due to his limitations he is best suited at FF when it come to AFL footy. Even then he will look good when we have the ball but he will labour when opposition has it.

Fair point- but since when has a players limitation stopped Garry Ayres from playing them on somebody? (Hird-Mattner, Basset-Lynch just a couple)

Re: Re: Re: Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

Originally posted by Wayne's-World
I more game is not going to make a difference to the clubs judgement of them.
How many years have they been on the list, how many chances have they had.
Sorry times up.
IMO, you can't judge a player as to what they can do at AFL level solely based on being on a list. We actually need to play them for a few consecutive games to see if they have what they have what it takes.

Goodwin said last night he is expecting to be back in two weeks and his injury recovery is coming along nicely:)
I would hate to see when his injury recovery is coming along poorly ... as he was orginally meant to return last week. How long has he been out for now?

Another game I see us losing at this early stage.

IN: Reilly, Schuback, Torney, Bode, Watts, M. Stevens (if he pulls up OK)
OUT: Shirley, Mattner, Skipworth, Begley (inj), Bassett (inj), Welsh (if he doesn't get suspended he should be dropped)

_F: _ 6. Fergus Watts _ 19. Mark Stevens _ 26. Jacob Schuback
HF: _ 18. Graham Johncock _ 2. Wayne Carey _ 30. Luke Jericho
_C: _ 33. Brent Reilly _ 32. Mark Ricciuto _ 40. Chris Ladhams
HB: _ 3. Kris Massie _ 16. Ken McGregor _ 9. Tyson Edwards
_B: _ 15. Jason Torney _ 37. Trent Hentschel _ 34. Ben Hart
1R: _ 4. Matthew Clarke _ 20. Tyson Stenglein _ 23. Andrew McLeod

INT: _ 10. Matthew Bode _ 11. Michael Doughty _ 13. Ben Hudson _ 44. Nathan Bock

Thoughts??????

I agree Stiffy if we go across this week with the same mind set as we did last friday night we'll be sitting on 2-8 & probably in 16 position come this time next monday.

My ins = would be Torney, Bode, Schuback & M Stevens.

outs = Doughty, Shirley ( bit of a disappointment,thought he would have kicked on from last year ) Skipworth (if he can't believe in himself how could any one else ?) Begley, & if Bassett joins Begley on the injury list Rutten might get another chance at AFL level.

This game's going to be hilarious...so many parallels on this board and over at HHQ it's not funny...

Talk of bringing in Mark Stevens, keeping in underperforming Scott Welsh = Nick Holland/John Barker

Your fringe players Skipworth, Shirley, etc etc = Picioane, Greene etc etc

Blooding youngsters Watts, Rutton = Brennan, Miller (no matter how much we all know they aren't up to senior football at the moment, it can't hurt can it? :p )

Anyway, good luck, just thought it was amusing how similar our predicaments are at the minute.

Out - Welsh Ladhams Mattner Skipworth

Ins - Torney Rutten M Stevens Bode

Torney is an absolute must fro me. His attack on the ball and courage would be welcome.

Rutten needs to be given a go as a marking forward cause by gees we are strugglin in that area when Carey is foreced to play one on one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back