List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

good, he was only ever going to go to Port

I hope we were also going hard for me. He will be in his prime (25) the next time he comes out of contract. Can't just let him walk to Port without at least pushing up his value.

On the topic of Durdin, does anyone think he will drop to us? Some mock drafts have him going from 7th-9th. With us with pick 10, do you think some clubs will be hesitant to pick him? I personally would love him as an SA lad but there are other options and potentially better key defenders out there we could draft.

And with Pickett, looks like West Coast might get him, but if they pass on him and take someone else do we take him? Even though we need another tall?

On the topic of Durdin, does anyone think he will drop to us? Some mock drafts have him going from 7th-9th. With us with pick 10, do you think some clubs will be hesitant to pick him? I personally would love him as an SA lad but there are other options and potentially better key defenders out there we could draft.

And with Pickett, looks like West Coast might get him, but if they pass on him and take someone else do we take him? Even though we need another tall?

To fill in for Ruttens position. However I would like Pickett as he will add some pace to our squad.

I just have this vibe about Durdin that he will be a James Sellar 2.0

To fill in for Ruttens position. However I would like Pickett as he will add some pace to our squad.

Mate of mine has a theory that unless your picking #1 and get the obvious Boyd/Cameron/Patton type than no team should be picking a tall KPF with a pick in the first 20 and it's easier to trade for an established one than hope an early draft pick develops or grab a tall in the later rounds.

Of course when you see what the team paid for guys like Sauce and Jenkins and what they initially invested in the Meeson, Sellar, McKernan it does make a bit of sense.

I know what you mean, especially seeing is quite vanilla. Hoping he turns into more of a Jake Carlisle though. I would also consider Goddard if we are looking more for the Rutten replacement. As far as I am aware Carlisle is a bit more athletic and would provide a bit more run with Talia in the back half.

ATM with pick 10, my priority list would probably be something like:
1. Pickett
2. Durdin
3. Goddard

But I wouldn't underestimate our recruiters. They might snag a nobody that turns into a real good defender with a 2nd or 3rd round pick and go for the best outside midfielder available with our first pick, who knows.

I know what you mean, especially seeing is quite vanilla. Hoping he turns into more of a Jake Carlisle though. I would also consider Goddard if we are looking more for the Rutten replacement. As far as I am aware Carlisle is a bit more athletic and would provide a bit more run with Talia in the back half.

ATM with pick 10, my priority list would probably be something like:
1. Pickett
2. Durdin
3. Goddard

But I wouldn't underestimate our recruiters. They might snag a nobody that turns into a real good defender with a 2nd or 3rd round pick and go for the best outside midfielder available with our first pick, who knows.

Weller I would be happy with. But we don't need more inside midfielders!

Clem Smith I would love if he slipped to us in the second round

Sammy Durdin's a better prospect than both of them. We should be doing anything to get him.

Ew. All the talent and skills on the planet but let's be realistic here, he's a headless chook. No idea how to find the footy or position himself, just not a smart footballer. Goes okay in defence in a pure lockdown capacity when he can just track an opponent though. Such a waste of his contested marking and footskills.

Smarts are too often overlooked in favour of athelticism nowadays. It's just wrong.

Is Weller an inside or outside midfielder? I've seen profiles that discribe him as one or the other. Chris25 compares him to Aish, and his highlight package looks impressive.

Just read that josh Glenn is going to nominate this year, I remember there was a fair bit of hype around him in his draft year but pulled out, just wondering if anyone has been tracking how he has been going with central districts and what sort of midfielder he is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if we give yeansch or Henderson and our second round draft pick to gws for their first round pick because they want a rebounding defender and if Malceski doesn't sign with them they have no body

What if we give yeansch or Henderson and our second round draft pick to gws for their first round pick because they want a rebounding defender and if Malceski doesn't sign with them they have no body

GWS have two picks in the first round currently 3 and 20ish (end of first round compensation).

Our second round pick would be 28ish.

I think 28 + Jaensch/Hendo is worth much less than pick 3 and more than pick 20.

They can have Reilly + 28 for pick 20 on the other hand.

I would do Jaensch + 28 + our third rounder for their picks 20 + third and fourth rounders. That would give us roughly 10, 20 and 37 which could net Leverde, Marchobank and Garlett. I would call that a win

Last edited:
Just read that josh Glenn is going to nominate this year, I remember there was a fair bit of hype around him in his draft year but pulled out, just wondering if anyone has been tracking how he has been going with central districts and what sort of midfielder he is?
That's interesting. I was of the opinion we should have been in his ear the year he was initially eligible and tried to get him as a rookie. That way he could have still played with Centrals and given him a taste of what it would be like being an AFL listed player. If he decided to fully commit, then great he would be on our list, if not we only wasted a rookie spot. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Being a tiger man I have watch Jordan Murdoch with some interest. To me he has developed into a speedy midfielder who can break away from the pack. Does anyone else think that this guy would be an asset and if so could be actually pull him away from Geelong.

That's interesting. I was of the opinion we should have been in his ear the year he was initially eligible and tried to get him as a rookie. That way he could have still played with Centrals and given him a taste of what it would be like being an AFL listed player. If he decided to fully commit, then great he would be on our list, if not we only wasted a rookie spot. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

How, if he didn't nominate?

He's been tracking very well indeed, arguably Centrals' most consistent player this season from all reports. Haven't seen many Centrals games this year but from what I have seen he's similar to Mitch Grigg, but I stand to be corrected by any Centrals fans.

How, if he didn't nominate?
Precisely, we needed to have convinced him to nominate. From memory I think he initially nominated and then withdrew his nomination. From what I can understand he was unsure whether he wanted to take his footy seriously, even quitting SANFL seniors at one stage to play with his mates I believe.

Adelaide and Port were in the box seat to give him a taste of AFL on a rookie list without expecting a commitment from him. It basically would have bought him some more time to make a decision as to whether he wanted to commit. It would have been a low risk, high reward gamble for the club. From memory Knightmare had him in his top 30 power ratings.

There would have always been the risk that an interstate club may have drafted him had he nominated, but I think that would have been very unlikely considering he would have been a huge flight risk.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting we go after him now as such, just that considering our draft sanctions at the time we needed to be exploiting as many opportunites as possible at the time.

Precisely, we needed to have convinced him to nominate. From memory I think he initially nominated and then withdrew his nomination. From what I can understand he was unsure whether he wanted to take his footy seriously, even quitting SANFL seniors at one stage to play with his mates I believe.

Adelaide and Port were in the box seat to give him a taste of AFL on a rookie list without expecting a commitment from him. It basically would have bought him some more time to make a decision as to whether he wanted to commit. It would have been a low risk, high reward gamble for the club. From memory Knightmare had him in his top 30 power ratings.

There would have always been the risk that an interstate club may have drafted him had he nominated, but I think that would have been very unlikely considering he would have been a huge flight risk.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting we go after him now as such, just that considering our draft sanctions at the time we needed to be exploiting as many opportunites as possible at the time.

What if we did try to convince him, but were unsuccessful?

Sam Shaw boarding a flight from Sydney to Adelaide as we speak.

For me this really adds value to the GWS trade rumours that have been thrown around the place (Davis, Cameron, Plowman).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back