List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I'd want Mitch is for his toughness. And I wouldn't want to give up anything of value for him. Only a player we planned on delisting (pets/mckernan).
Yeh but what do we need toughness for? We have one of the best inside midfields? If by toughness you mean someone who comes out and belts blokes as an enforcer.

Yes, there is no doubt he is a 'hard' player but his hardness borders on stupidity at times - he is not what we need at all. Jeffy Garlett on the other hand...

I agree. Wonder what sort of ball park we are looking at, re pick. Could a pick in the 30-40 range be plausible?
I've always said use the Koby Stevens trade as a gauge. He was the same, hard inside mid who was stuck playing in the WAFL and couldn't crack the senior side. Eagles got pick #44 from the Bulldogs for him, which was a 2nd rounder in name because of all the compo picks.

Prefer Brent Reilly for Jack Fitzpatrick or Jake Spencer tbh. Jamar's a 1st ruck quality player and would carry those wages with him. Too many $$$ on a second ruck. Fitzy/Spencer are genuine depth rucks who can perform if required and wouldn't be on serious cash. Both behind Gawn as Melb 2nd ruck too.

Though I think if we got anything for Reilly it'd be a win tbh.

I doubt Reilly would get us someone as young as Fitz or Jake. Hence why i said Jamar.
Jamar cant have more than 2 years left. Neither can Reilly hence why i thought'd itd be a win win of need for both sides.

I've always said use the Koby Stevens trade as a gauge. He was the same, hard inside mid who was stuck playing in the WAFL and couldn't crack the senior side. Eagles got pick #44 from the Bulldogs for him, which was a 2nd rounder in name because of all the compo picks.
That's a pretty good analogy. I wonder if their original draft position will affect what we can get for Lyons? Stevens was a pick #22 in 2009 and Lyons #61 in 2010.

Good work mate, would be interested to read your summaries on why you made those picks. Didnt think you were a fan of Durdin though ?

Yeah, I'm not. But I'm also aware of my own imperfection and completely open to the fact that I could be wrong about Durdin. Despite my cynicism, if he's there at 9 I think you jump.

9 - Durdin: Can play back. Work in progress though so wouldn't immediately come in and do Truck's job. Has shown ability to play an intercept game and read the ball well but hasn't come together. The upside in Durdin is his athleticism - tall, high leap, clean below the knees, moves well. Also kicks well. There's so much good there you just pick him on the hope that you can fix the problems in a few years

29: Glenn: I was hoping a Garlett or a Menadue would be on the board here but they weren't. Wigg was a consideration but he's just too slow through the middle. I really rate Glenn, readymade player who impacts forward, back or middle. Has an inside and outside game, a great kick and some real composure. Whatever need we had he could fill

46: Daniel: Because he's a personal favourite. Really rate what he can do. Wins his own ball, elite kick/vision/decision making combo, elite endurance, great pace/agility/evasion, good tackler, runs both ways, knows where the goals are. The upside in him if his height doesn't end up a huge disadvantage is too good to ignore.

64: McKenna: Can see him being the 2nd most successful Irish import behind Hanley. Could even be better. In Gaelic he's a smart reader of the play, gets himself into the right positions and is a clinical finisher. Think he could be a half forward & half back at AFL level as that smart rebound option in the Hanley mold or be one of the first Irish fellas to end up as a forward such is his innate sense of where the goals are. At his age we've got the time to get some real AFL skill into him to go with what he's already got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brent Griffiths always looks a player in the 2nd ruck role for Richmond but never plays as much as he should. Worth a look for a trade IMO.

Yeh but what do we need toughness for? We have one of the best inside midfields? If by toughness you mean someone who comes out and belts blokes as an enforcer.

Yes, there is no doubt he is a 'hard' player but his hardness borders on stupidity at times - he is not what we need at all. Jeffy Garlett on the other hand...

Agreed, I reckon Garletts the one you pick up for peanuts now, get him back under the wing and guidance of Betts and he flourishes.

When he's got his head screwed on straight he's another 40+ goal a year forward who you'd just love crumbing to the likes of Walker and Jenkins.

Nah, I think Hanley's a better player than Kennelly was - just needs to continue doing this for another few years to confirm it. He just doesn't get the plaudits as he's at a shitty team and doesn't have the flag to his name.

Then again though I'd forgotten Stynes when I made the post.
I got topped again with Stynes.

I'd also have Hanley as the better player to Kennelly but I'd say Kennelly has been more successful given he's got a premiership medallion.

I'd rather we played a midfield of Rielly, Porps and Mackay all year long that trade for Robinson. The guy is an absolute ****ing **** who is too stupid to understand what team means...which probably shouldn't be a surprise as anything more than three letters would be an acromyn to that twat.

Burns the ball, gives away stupid frees and gets reported and then lies when he is on an all night bender...FFS, why would we want him?

Last edited:
As much as I love Lyons as a player, if we're not going to play him and it's true that there are several clubs interested in him, I'd say lets try to get something for him before he decides to just walk away. It'd be a shame as he's got heaps of upside but in fairness, he's fighting with Thompson, Grigg and Crouch Jr for a spot so even once Thommo retires, he'd still not be guaranteed a game especially as Crouch will likely be first in line for that spot. It seems like a few clubs value him pretty highly so we might be able to use that to get ourselves a quality player in a position we're thin on (Ruck/KPD)

What incentive is there for him to trade not playing at one club, for not playing at another club "cheaply"?

If he leaves GWS it'll be to a team that has a first ruck vacancy.

I disagree. Quite simply Giles isn't a first ruck. As the second ruck in a team he's a great option, but for his size he's quite a poor tap ruckman and doesn't offer enough around the ground. What he does do better than most ruckmen is hit the scoreboard so he's an okay option in a team that decides to run with two rucks but even then I wouldn't endorse it. Lycett, Griffin, Clarke, Grundy, Bellchambers, Simpson, Zac Smith, Gawn and Campbell are all players at other clubs not currently playing as the first ruck who I'd prefer leading my ruck division over Giles. He's in that next group with Warnock, Hampson, Derickx, Gorringe, Spencer, Longer and Nankervis. Though I'd probably place him between the two groups, not in the second.

I'd say a club looking for a first ruck would without doubt go after someone else. Giles was lucky in that GWS were a startup and terrible as it meant he got games. Now with Mumford at GWS he's their second ruck and quite simply would most likely be wherever he goes.

I guess if you're confined to being a second ruck, why wouldn't you want to do it in your home state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back