List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i suggested the same last year.

As for Lyons i have a feeling based on nothing but gut, that he may turn out to be a really good player.
Yes & would at least like to find out at afc!

God hurry up trade week. I feel like we're just stagnating atm and really need to turn this list over. And get our new list man named. And our new CEO. Bring on 2015.

I really hope Thommo retires so junior can get entrenched in the 18. And Lyons for Toumpas would be an excellent result for both kids. Imagine Toumpas and Garlett on the wings instead of Martin and MacKay.
You would think we need a new list man asap given trade & draft period are not that far away & much to prepare for a key period for us now we have decent picks to make up for the lost years.

You would think we need a new list man asap given trade & draft period are not that far away & much to prepare for a key period for us now we have decent picks to make up for the lost years.

Can't come soon enough and he'll have to hit the ground running I would've thought

If we had the opportunity to get Toumpas at a reasonable price we would be mad not to do it.

Reasonable price is the condition.
He has been extremely disappointing at Melbourne and the one aspect of his game that I thought was a strength was his pace. Where did it go?
He is slow. Even his decision making is really slow at present.
We have M Crouch, Lyons, Martin,Thompson... how many more of this type of player with their leg speed do we need.

I don't know if injuries are slowing Toumpas but we as supporters seem to have this mindset of looking at players that were low draft picks and believing that we will transform them. Tambling being a perfect example.
How many times did posters want to trade for Jack Watts ( don't they own a TV).

I know it is desirable to look at SA lads but surely we need to bring in some pace or size into our team with our trades. I'm guessing Jack Trengove will be mentioned heavy in trade talk in the coming months and he is a perfect example of what we don't need.
Great player but Matt Crouch would beat him in a foot race.

This trade period we need to be very specific in our wants and target the deficiencies in our squad.
Traded players in the main are there to make an instant impact because they've had the advantage of a couple of seasons of development compared to a 18 year old who we draft.
They should not be list cloggers just because they are available.

I might be wrong about Toumpas but on exposed form I would rather target players who are lacking opportunity because of squad strength than players lacking opportunities because of leg speed and form.

How about Pat McCarthy from the bays as a mature age CHB? Had his time at Carlton ruined by injuries but seems to have put that behind him now and playing good footy in a team thats struggled all year.

Billy Stretch from Glenelg did himself no harm for the draft today vs Crows reserves - if he's eligible, think he is only 17 atm?

Fast, skillful, worked hard

Is he eligible and if so where is he predicted to go?

Billy Stretch from Glenelg did himself no harm for the draft - if he's eligible, think he is only 17 atm?

Fast, skillful, worked hard

Is he eligible and if so where is he predicted to go?

Melbourne father son.

Steven Stretch is his old man.

if anyone was wondering how durdin went, he got thrown to the ****ing wolves playing for a team that didn't care. played in defence the whole game and was unfortunate to play in a game where we had no leadership or direction. 10 touches and 3 marks in a difficult game is no bad showing.

How about Pat McCarthy from the bays as a mature age CHB? Had his time at Carlton ruined by injuries but seems to have put that behind him now and playing good footy in a team thats struggled all year.

Certainly one I was interested in last year, showed potential as a rebounding CHB at junior level, is a good size for a KPD as well. I certainly think we could do worse than look to pick him up considering our genuine key defensive stocks include Talia, daylight, then Hartigan, more daylight and Siggins. At 21-22 years of age, he should be ready to go as well if required and have gained a certain level of maturity. At the very least a good option for our rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if anyone was wondering how durdin went, he got thrown to the ******* wolves playing for a team that didn't care. played in defence the whole game and was unfortunate to play in a game where we had no leadership or direction. 10 touches and 3 marks in a difficult game is no bad showing.

More from interests sakes, what position was Matthew Panos playing? When he was initially drafted by the Bulldogs he was thought of an undersized full-forward and nothing else. But 34 touches, 12 marks, 4 I50's and 5 R50's suggests he may have been playing midfield/CHF. Has he developed another side to his game?

More from interests sakes, what position was Matthew Panos playing? When he was initially drafted by the Bulldogs he was thought of an undersized full-forward and nothing else. But 34 touches, 12 marks, 4 I50's and 5 R50's suggests he may have been playing midfield/CHF. Has he developed another side to his game?
Played all year as a mid and has killed it.

Killed it to the point that he might get another shot at AFL level?

Would be a good size for a midfielder, but from memory he wasn't the quickest player which might count against him.
I've seen very little of him but one game I saw on telly early in the year they said afl clubs were re looking at him as a midfielder. Don't think he's overly quick

Reckon we're going ok without one. We just signed a best 15-24 player for 4 years at $400k. Reckon we need a bit more of that.

Caleb Daniel lads... He's TINY, but that kid can play footy! Should be available in the 2nd or 3rd round too.

Caleb Daniel lads... He's TINY, but that kid can play footy! Should be available in the 2nd or 3rd round too.

I've heard that most recruiters rate him as a rookie draft prospect but expect one club to pounce late in the 4th/5th round like Marsh from last year. I'm cooling on him a little but (but not much) purely because he's not as elite an accumulator as he was in the championships so I'm not sure if he's ever going to be capable of averaging 25 touches, even at peak.

Someone I'd really like us to take a look at is Mark Whiley from GWS. Some of you might not know who he is...he's one of those depth players there who fly under the radar.

I don't think he's internally rated all that highly and I get why, they've got a lot of players like him. But I like him, and with the Giants needing to cut their list he's probably not going to cost anything more than a 4th or 5th.

Whiley's a 6'3 midfielder/defender. Starting off as a mid sized rebounding defender, his footskills aren't great and as such he never really built a name for himself. However now he's moved into the midfield and this is where I like him. His size is excellent for a modern day mid and his clearance work and strength around the stoppages is excellent. On the outside he's able to receive and run and in general he's a high level ball winner and accumulator of possessions. Defensively he excels with him being a high level volume tackler and a bloke whose tackles stick - something we desperately need. What I really like though is he can tag to a high level. He's got the athleticism and work rate to go with nearly anyone and is a hard worker. Last year as a 20 year old he played on

Daniel Rich - 20 touches/2 goals
1 half on Isaac Smith - 8 touches,
1 half on Grant Birchall, 4 touches
Dyson Heppell - 23 touches and completely shut down his influence
Scott Pendlebury - 25 touches/2 marks - completely quelled his influence
Nat Fyfe - 19 touches/2 goals
Gary Ablett - 19 touches in 3 qtrs
Only real lapses were letting Nathan Jones get 29 touches and Harley Bennell getting on top of him for a quarter

Now I reckon he's got the physical skills and attributes to be a far better tagger than what we've already got in Kerridge. Not only that but he's far better around the stoppages being a genuine stoppage player offensively too. It'd free up Kerridge to play his game which really is quite good as well.

Since this post he's had a 3rd best on, a 2nd best on and today he was best on.

Still can't get a game. Would release Kerridge & VB. Surely worth a punt as he'll cost SFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back