Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Melbourne > 30 pts

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And here I was thinking that Carlton supporters would be accustomed to seeing their club losing. Lovely to see it still hurts.

Keep crying son, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Melbourne fan taking pot shots, you just beat 17th to hold your 16th place on the ladder against a side missing its best 4 players.

Fwiw I couldn't care less about the result today either way it changed nothing

You say that like wehad a fully fit best 22 out there.

Weitering missedthe last 10 mins and Kruezer was off for 20 minutes.

Melbourne lead for 99% of the game and lead in almost every statistical measure. Yet according to you we should have only kicked 3 goals as thr umpires gave us 12.....

You would think a club that has lost roughly 40 of their last 45 games would have more gracious losers......

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Facts are facts you can dispute the truth but it is still the truth.

I don't say it like you had a full functional best 22 I just laughed at it being used as an excuse when neither did we.

Eh, it is what it is. I don't slice it or dice it to advantage or disadvantage anyone. Looks to me like seven 28yo+ players to three.

These guys all at their peak are they?

What do you think the optimum ages are for being at your peak in this sport?

These guys all at their peak are they?

What do you think the optimum ages are for being at your peak in this sport?

As a rule of thumb I'd suggest 25-26, but obviously players mature at different rates. Simpson for example didn't finish top three in the b&f until 29, and has done so four times.

Melbourne fan taking pot shots, you just beat 17th to hold your 16th place on the ladder against a side missing its best 4 players.

Fwiw I couldn't care less about the result today either way it changed nothing
If his mob had lost...and gee they nearly let that one slip...you know he wouldn’t be anywhere near this thread.

As a rule of thumb I'd suggest 25-26, but obviously players mature at different rates. Simpson for example didn't finish top three in the b&f until 29, and has done so four times.

You need not do too much more than be durable to get a top 3 spot in our B&F of late.

However, if 25/26 is the peak age, then the Dees had 4 players at their peak to our zero. I like to go with the standard 24-27, a year either side, making it 7-4.

I don't look at Murphy at almost 32 years of age with 261 games of experience and think that he is better than Viney at 25 years of age and 112 games. That comparison alone skews the age and experience argument, without recognising Viney is at the peak of his physical powers.

Yeah, some players are freaks well into their 30s. There is plenty of argument to suggest that Simpson, Murphy and Thomas are slowing down and are starting to struggle against opponents at their peak.

You need not do too much more than be durable to get a top 3 spot in our B&F of late.

However, if 25/26 is the peak age, then the Dees had 4 players at their peak to our zero. I like to go with the standard 24-27, a year either side, making it 7-4.

I don't look at Murphy at almost 32 years of age with 261 games of experience and think that he is better than Viney at 25 years of age and 112 games. That comparison alone skews the age and experience argument, without recognising Viney is at the peak of his physical powers.

Yeah, some players are freaks well into their 30s. There is plenty of argument to suggest that Simpson, Murphy and Thomas are slowing down and are starting to struggle against opponents at their peak.

Plenty of players who peak at 25 are no longer playing at 29.

I just compare the team ages to a standard benchmark. Carlton had a slight (+0.34) age advantage, which on average equates to a 52% chance of winning.

If a team is consistently not meeting the benchmark, it's time to examine the composition of the team. This was the oldest Carlton side since Round 7 last year, and only the third above 25yo since 2016. Maybe some of those older players shouldn't still be getting preference at selection?

I gave Carlton plenty of credit when they were clearly ahead of the development clock under Ratten, as I've done with e.g. the Bulldogs in the past two seasons. I'm sure there's something in my history where I tipped them for the 2012 flag. Don't worry, I'll praise the Blues again when they warrant it.

Not easy running out a game when you have three down on the bench for so long, and one of them has kicked six. Having said that, it was 12.12 to 10.4 or something at one point. We needed to kick straighter and we'd have had it out of reach in the second quarter.

Plenty of players who peak at 25 are no longer playing at 29.

I just compare the team ages to a standard benchmark. Carlton had a slight (+0.34) age advantage, which on average equates to a 52% chance of winning.

If a team is consistently not meeting the benchmark, it's time to examine the composition of the team. This was the oldest Carlton side since Round 7 last year, and only the third above 25yo since 2016. Maybe some of those older players shouldn't still be getting preference at selection?

I gave Carlton plenty of credit when they were clearly ahead of the development clock under Ratten, as I've done with e.g. the Bulldogs in the past two seasons. I'm sure there's something in my history where I tipped them for the 2012 flag. Don't worry, I'll praise the Blues again when they warrant it.

Absolutely some of those older players shouldn't still be getting preferenced, however we lack players in the 24-27 age range, and we get killed physically when we lack those older bodies. No doubt if we trade in some decent players at their peak, they will be replacing older players rather than younger ones. We just have a very unbalanced list, and those over 30s are placeholders for the time being. Our list really starts at Docherty and under in terms of our next window.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the result really matter in these dead rubber type games? I am concerned only that we have been 30+ points behind before we kick into gear 4 weeks in a row, starting to become habit.
Yes these games matter to the crows thankyou Melbourne 😁

Absolutely some of those older players shouldn't still be getting preferenced, however we lack players in the 24-27 age range, and we get killed physically when we lack those older bodies. No doubt if we trade in some decent players at their peak, they will be replacing older players rather than younger ones. We just have a very unbalanced list, and those over 30s are placeholders for the time being. Our list really starts at Docherty and under in terms of our next window.

Yes, it's unbalanced, mainly through a cavalcade of recruits who haven't worked out for one reason or another. Which gets back to recruiting and/or player development. I posted a list on the Carlton board a while back showing Carlton recruits who are now aged 25-27. Quantity wasn't the issue.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...tomed-out-again.1215943/page-50#post-60364201

Yes, it's unbalanced, mainly through a cavalcade of recruits who haven't worked out for one reason or another. Which gets back to recruiting and/or player development. I posted a list on the Carlton board a while back showing Carlton recruits who are now aged 25-27. Quantity wasn't the issue.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...tomed-out-again.1215943/page-50#post-60364201

We spent our currency on the draft. We paid two fifths of frig all for players that are or would be in those peak years. It was always going to be a rebuild with Doc and Cripps as our senior players.

We spent our currency on the draft. We paid two fifths of frig all for players that are or would be in those peak years. It was always going to be a rebuild with Doc and Cripps as our senior players.

Which is borne out by looking at the 2019 games by players Cripps' age and under.

198 Carlton
196 Gold Coast
194 Melbourne
193 St.Kilda
184 Sydney
182 Western Bulldogs
165 Port Adelaide
163 Fremantle
157 Brisbane
140 Essendon
134 Richmond
122 Geelong
117 Hawthorn, West Coast
116 GWS
115 North Melbourne
101 Collingwood
94 Adelaide

Which with the exception of the failed seasons of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn, is a rough approximation of the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL 2019 Round 16: Carlton v Melbourne, 1:10pm AEST MCG

Back