Autopsy AFL 2024 First Qualifying Final - Swans v GWS Sat Sept 7th 3:20pm EST (SCG) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Draw.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS didn't exactly try their guts out once the margin was safely in the Bulldogs hands.
Knowing full well they only have to drive down the highway for an opening final.

Sydney have been ordinary as of late.
Stop Blakey and Gulden and they're a fairly average team.
Of course, easier said than done.

Why is this the Saturday afternoon game?.Surely the team that finishes 1st would want the longest rest going into the second week of finals.Also probably the best game so put it on in a timeslot which will get the most eyeballs.Melburnians will watch AFL no matter what time it's on but in a growing market in Sydney a night game is a no brainer.25 degrees and sunny in Sydney who is watching TV? AFl once again totally missed an opportunity to grow the game and has showed its bit of a mickey mouse competition
The WB AFLW is also on that night. I mean, really?

Give the Vic teams the Friday night game and the most recovery going into week 2. God it’s so bias.

GWS have played Sydney in 3 finals, as the away team each time, and won, in the last 8 years.
Meanwhile West Coast and Fremantle and Adelaide and Port Adelaide have had a combined 120+ seasons and have met in a showdown/derby final 1 time.
Yeah it's a crazy stat. I'm sure there's plenty of combinations of teams who never met in finals over 100 years

I'm thinking the Giants win to make it an embarrassing 4-0 vs the Bloods in finals. I think they have more mongrel and ticker in them when on then the Swans, who have a soft underbelly. I can't see them being not competitive. Sydney lost by 112, the Giant biggest loss was like 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Last few years”… those finals were a while ago now.
Finals these days feels like its own mini season. I expect the Giants to turn it on for finals, they always do - seems a part of their culture.
But yes - the last 10 derbies the scoreline is 7/3 in favour of Sydney - with GWS's wins being by 2, 1 and 1 points respectively, whereas the Swans have won theirs by an average of 32 points.

I watched both derbies this year and Sydney definitely had the wood over GWS - however the same could be said for 2018 when the Swans won both derbies but lost the EF to GWS by 49 points.

Finals these days feels like its own mini season. I expect the Giants to turn it on for finals, they always do - seems a part of their culture.
But yes - the last 10 derbies the scoreline is 7/3 in favour of Sydney - with GWS's wins being by 2, 1 and 1 points respectively, whereas the Swans have won theirs by an average of 32 points.

I watched both derbies this year and Sydney definitely had the wood over GWS - however the same could be said for 2018 when the Swans won both derbies but lost the EF to GWS by 49 points.
If finals are a new mini-season, I feel like we're just about the only team who's been able to have a proper mini-pre-season. Everyone else has been fighting for their spot in the 8 right up until the final bell, so I'm hopeful that the Swans will be running out games very strongly for the next month.

If finals are a new mini-season, I feel like we're just about the only team who's been able to have a proper mini-pre-season. Everyone else has been fighting for their spot in the 8 right up until the final bell, so I'm hopeful that the Swans will be running out games very strongly for the next month.
Swans are still my tip for the flag.
Main question is whether they can find enough ways to score under finals pressure with a relatively weak forward mix.

The more the Giants speak the more obvious it is that they strategically threw the game against the Dogs.

By losing, they absolutely made certain that their first 2 finals would be in Sydney.

If Hogan kicks 4+, GWS win. I rate the Giants, but they have a bit of dependency on Jesse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Qualifying Final - Swans v GWS Sat Sept 7th 3:20pm EST (SCG) - Teams in OP

Back