Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Swans v Port Fri Sept 20th 7:40pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 68 38.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 43 24.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He won’t get sacked, he got them to a Preliminary Final.

So you win by 112 points, 6 weeks ago. Means nothing in the scheme of things.

You know what means nothing in September, home and away wins.

Old mate Ken had arguably a top 2 list in the comp for 3/4seasons during his reign of terror at Port. He's taken them to 7 finals campaigns.

Guess how many finals games in total he has actually won during the past 10 years? Three.

Ken wasted Port's list by prioritizing home and away over working out a brand of football that wins Finals. Similar to what Geelong does, only they've actually won a flag during the last ten years.

There's a good chance that his entire career at Port is remembered as a footnote to Geelong's influence in the AFL after their dynasty in the late 00 era.

That and him being the most unsuccessful coach in the history of the VFL/AFL in terms of games coached vs. Grand Final appearances. Keep in mind that he's now lost 4 of 4 Prelims.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 10.55.14 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_9975.jpg
    IMG_9975.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Dixon is the most cooked player i've ever seen take an AFL field, but they didn't have much choice. Might need to trade in or pick up a KF as Marshall seems to be concussed by a change of the wind. Don't think Port are far off, but they need to move on from Hinkley.

As a neutral I would love a Lions vs Swans grand final. Geelong vs Sydney is probably the least interesting matchup possible of all the combinations to me personally.

So many Salty Hawks supporters here 😂

Absolute Gold ( just not brown and gold) 😉

So many Salty Hawks supporters here :tearsofjoy:

Absolute Gold ( just not brown and gold) 😉

Self own of the week, which is no small thing on BF.

You posted this in a finals thread about two teams who weren't involved in the final your team lost to the Hawks.

So much salt in you, that you STILL couldn't help but post about Hawthorn :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
As much as the port fans cry about Ken Hinkley, They should really be angry with the club and the way they've let him stay. Coming up with pre-inforced terms like "Win a final and you can keep coaching us" is a stupid metric and commitment by the club. That's not Hinkleys fault. He's just the recipient of a stupid policy.

I mean can anyone say it was a successful finals campaign from port? Getting smashed in the first home final and playing scared to beating the 7th placed team by under a kick and then being non competitive in a prelim and playing with a terrible gameplan. I would say this was just as bad as any other finals campaign they've had. But ken gets to walk away nice and secure in his job while port prove nothing yet again. The clubs just as big a joke as Hinkley for keeping him there with stupid clauses that mean nothing.

As much as the port fans cry about Ken Hinkley, They should really be angry with the club and the way they've let him stay. Coming up with pre-inforced terms like "Win a final and you can keep coaching us" is a stupid metric and commitment by the club. That's not Hinkleys fault. He's just the recipient of a stupid policy.

I mean can anyone say it was a successful finals campaign from port? Getting smashed in the first home final and playing scared to beating the 7th placed team by under a kick and then being non competitive in a prelim and playing with a terrible gameplan. I would say this was just as bad as any other finals campaign they've had. But ken gets to walk away nice and secure in his job while port prove nothing yet again. The clubs just as big a joke as Hinkley for keeping him there with stupid clauses that mean nothing.

At the point that Kochie says Ken is a better coach than the guy who actually delivered them a premiership, something has gone awry at Port.

If you didn't know any better you'd say that maybe Ken has Kompromat on him?

How? Top sides don’t get top draft picks.

That’s kneecapped enough

Allow to trade players without their consent. It’s the only way.

Geelong getting bad draft picks this year? No worries, they’ll get Bailey Smith who will take a pay cut to get there. Just like every other year (or they could take another salary dump?)

The landscape has changed. The draft doesn’t work because good players leave to the top teams. Salary cap doesn’t work because there’s more money outside of footy life so clubs are better of financially long term to play and win for Geelong, then earn an extra $100k for North.

Nah. Hes completely safe. Got a fantastic record for his team since he's been there...

As a neutral supporter, I personally think he did a fantastic job last week when ALL the odds were against him. .

Got his team up for victory with half his players missing and put an end to his opponents season which made my day. Just absolutely Fantastic stuff if you ask me
Personally I don't think Hinkley's win loss record as a coach is that great. You can look at win loss record which is distorted by the fact that a large percentage of those games are against the bottom sides or you can look at win loss record against top 6 sides which is the true measure as these are the teams you'll most likely be playing deep in September. When you look at Hinkley's record then it's downright average.

Since 2013 when he started choosing
Home and Away against top 6 sides (excluding Adelaide as showdowns are generally toss off the coin games).

21 wins 48 losses 30% success rate
15 wins 14 losses 52% success rate in Adelaide
5 wins 33 losses 14% success rate away
1 win 1 loss 50% success rate neutral venue

In finals
6 wins 9 losses 40% success rate
4 wins 5 losses 44% success rate in Adelaide
2 wins 4 losses 33% success rate away

Against top 6 sides in finals
4 wins 7 losses 36% success rate
2 wins 3 losses 40% success rate in Adelaide
2 wins 4 losses 33% success rate away

Only once since Hinkley started coaching have Port finished a home and away session winning more games against top 6 sides than they've lost (2024). Port have never finished a season having won more games against top 6 sides than they lost with Hinkley coaching. I agree some of it comes down to a list that isn't good enough but after 12 years with a success rate of 30% against top 6 clubs some of that has to be coaching as you can't make finals as often as Port has over an extended period of time with the same coach and him not being a part of that blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was always going to be a convincing Sydney win. Port played their GF last week. Post isn't made and it would have been Hawthorn vs Sydney prelim.
Hinkley is a fraud.
Yeah, let's blame the bloke that made the post.

Worst prelim i can recall....and i've seen a few.
Once 4-5 goals up it all became fairly bruise free. WTF ! Still...thats a good thing for next week i guess.

Now what we need is tonights game goes down to the wire and they beat the shit out of each other.

It was like 100 kids turned up to watch a fight behind the shelter sheds after school....and they shake hands. Phuk that.
Nothing in the game that would stop me flicking the remote over to the Iron Chef.
Not even an aeroplane celebration for a mini chuckle.
Thanx Port. Go Kenny !

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Swans v Port Fri Sept 20th 7:40pm EST (SCG)

Back