Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 42.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 23.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

H2H record in Finals:
  • Qualifying Final (2004) = Port Adelaide 117-62 Geelong
  • Grand Final (2007) = Geelong 163-44 Port Adelaide
  • Semi Final (2013) = Geelong 96-80 Port Adelaide
  • Qualifying Final (2020) = Port Adelaide 58-42 Geelong
  • Qualifying Final (2021) = Port Adelaide 86-43 Geelong
Port Adelaide leads the H2H record 3-2.
Interestingly the home team has won every single time, that will probably continue.

H2H record in Finals:

In recent times it's 2 zip.

H2H record in Finals:
and 2-0 in cut-throat games, which this isn't, so looks like Port will win again

Port should win unless they choke.

Scott is an excellent coach who has covered a weak midfield, but he is bringing a knife to a gun fight this week and his best hope is the old Port choke.

With Holmes, SDK, a functional Cameron, Stengle, O.Henry, Bowes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Mannagh, Neale and Humphries playing for us this time. Half a different team.
Yeah, but Butters and Rozee only combined for 5 touches more than Danger in that game, they'll have that by qtr time Thursday night.
Then theres this Horne- Francis guy that a couple of people have noticed recently, they reckon he goes alright too.

Yeah, but Butters and Rozee only combined for 5 touches more than Danger in that game, they'll have that by qtr time Thursday night.
Then theres this Horne- Francis guy that a couple of people have noticed recently, they reckon he goes alright too.
Notice how I didn't pass any disparaging comment on Port or their midfield (duh, I'm not a moron). It was a more general comment on how matches from a few years ago bare zero relevance.

Port will likely win, but it will be because this team has more talent than their Geelong counterparts. Not because "Port have the measure on Geelong in home finals".

Understood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice how I didn't pass any disparaging comment on Port or their midfield (duh, I'm not a moron). It was a more general comment on how matches from a few years ago bare zero relevance.

Port will likely win, but it will be because this team has more talent than their Geelong counterparts. Not because "Port have the measure on Geelong in home finals".

Understood?
Id say its a bit of both.

But thats just my opinion.

Understood?

Understood?
It just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Like when we'd be dragged into the finals off the back of two champions with a horribly unbalanced list, and then be labelled as 'chokers' in the finals.

In reality, we were smashed by better sides when there was nowhere to hide, such is the nature of finals...but if that's your narrative, it ends up becoming 'true' per say if you look at it though that lense.

You reckon Rozee and Butters will have 28 touches by 1/4 time?

Sweet will play a big role if our midfield continues to stay on top and control the clearances which will go a long way to winning here.

He’s been in excellent form of late and last time we played, Visente was our ruck and he won that battle. Sweet is considerably ahead of a young Visente at the moment so if he gets on top as he has lately, here’s hoping for some silver service down to our midfield and first grabs.

Port to win this one and it could be over by half time. I think Geelong might go out in straight sets.

I think Port's bigger test will be the Prelim.

Rare for Geelong to go out in straight sets
Since their dominant era began, they have lost the QF 7 times and won the Semi 6 times by an average margin of 45 points

Rare for Geelong to go out in straight sets
Since their dominant era began, they have lost the QF 7 times and won the Semi 6 times by an average margin of 45 points
We've bounced back in a lot of semis but always pay the price for QF mishaps, as the old legs are cooked by the PF. 2020 was an exception but had shorter quarters and was a shorter season.

Our record of making the GF after winning the QF is strong. 5 times out of 6 this century. Sydney 2016 were the exception. So in reality logic says this is Geelong's season on the line. Win and who knows, maybe we'll make it to a GF. Lose and it's very likely just a matter of whether we're knocked out in week 2 or 3.

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, Geelong's had enough success and it'd be good for Port fans to see some.

On the other hand; if Port go out in straight sets again the Sack Hinkley and Sack Koch threads on the Port board will be the greatest read in history.
We should start a magazine. Profits can towards the new coaches bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Back