Preview AFL Rd 11 - Collingwood v Melbourne - MCG Mon 10/6/13 - 3.20 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on what? He has been exposed at AFL level so far, and simply is not ready.

Well he been okay for me. Might be better without the 3rd Tall down there. Might be better with Witts and Cloke

I'm not sure how Clarke remains in our best 22.

I understand that we are playing a lot youth at the moment but Clarke is nowhere near AFL level.

I would prefer we gave Jordan Russell his place if we need to bring in an experienced head.

I'm not sure how Clarke remains in our best 22.

I understand that we are playing a lot youth at the moment but Clarke is nowhere near AFL level.

I would prefer we gave Jordan Russell his place if we need to bring in an experienced head.

Wasn't best 22 tonight, came in as an emergency.

A few things Bucks said after the game:
- Paine needs to work on his defensive work, otherwise he's been good
- Our ideal structure is to have 3 big forwards with one playing ruck/forward so I guess we're waiting to bring Paine in soon, as Witts doesn't look quite up to it
- He thought Josh Thomas was quite good and Caff did a great job for 3 1/2 quarters
- I think he mentioned Marley playing well
- Joked that a couple of Dids' mates helped him out with some cheap possies (had a bit of a lol!)

IN: Cloke
Out: Clarke

Bucks also said that he wants a 3 tall power forward line and "hinted" that he tried this with Witts and stopped short of saying 'it hasn't worked'.

So then the 3rd Tall would be our of Paine or Grundy then

i would rather Dawes atm, Lynch is hopeless.

Changes are pretty simple, Cloke comes in for marty.
I would have contemplated playing Benny Johnson, but not now that he is out for a few weeks.
I would slot goldy back in after the bye, and beamsy is still 3-4 weeks away.

IN: T.Cloke
OUT: M.Clarke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where the injuries to Frost, Keeffe and Hartley have come home to hurt.

Coming into the season the plan would have been to most likely develop Gault in that forward/ ruck role and had he shown any sort of improvement he'd be in contention by now. Instead he's left to stagnate in defence at reserve level.

I think ultimately the stability we have down back in the seniors for KPD's will mean that Keeffe is the one that will come in to replace Lynch post the bye if his form continues to stagnate. The obvious rider to that is that he gets through the next 2-3 matches after this week unscathed.

After what we saw tonight from Reid that also allows us more flexibility with who we move forward and back depending on the opponent.

Bucks also said he is looking forward to Keefe getting back out there. Hmmm.. maybe Reid up forward? But I'd say Paine is a bee's dick away .. we'll let Bucks decide on that one.

Well that be at earliest after the Bye. But that could be an Idea

It's strange, from the training sessions i've been to Lynch has slotted every one he's gone for, but on the field he's having issues. I reckon it might be not taking the glove off when he's lining up for goal that's effecting his ball drop, you saw what happened when he took it off while lining up against Geelong.

It's strange, from the training sessions i've been to Lynch has slotted every one he's gone for, but on the field he's having issues. I reckon it might be not taking the glove off when he's lining up for goal that's effecting his ball drop, you saw what happened when he took it off while lining up against Geelong.

I not sure what is up with the Glove. He always use to take it off before having a Shot now except for Cats game he keeps it on

Probably not the best idea, but we are playing Melbourne. So I'd like to see some experimentation.

Out: Clarke, Maxwell, Blair

Clarke - Exposed in the 1v1s quite badly. I think the rise of Seedsman as an offensive weapon has changed the dynamics of the backline. Whereas earlier in the year, Clarke played a balanced game and did some offensive running, now he's more mindful of playing defensively because Seeds is doing a lot of the creating from half back. Opposition teams are then exploiting the match up.
Maxwell - Am I right in saying that he might have had a niggle that caused his substitution? Well then, let's just say that it doesn't get right in time for the game next week.
Blair - Tackling hard, working hard, but the output and possibly confidence isn't there. Plus, I don't think we have a good balance - too many short people. I'd like to give Blair a week off or so, then bring him back into the team after the bye. Having JT, Ball, Macaffer, Kennedy and Martin in the starting line up makes it difficult for Tyrion.

In: Russell, Paine, Witts

Russell - Will be better than Maxwell and with Seedsman elevating his game in recent weeks, it's pushed Clarke to play less offensively, which exposes him badly. Let Seedsman, O'Brien and Shaw make the running from the back half with Russell and Williams playing more defensive.
Paine - Forget Trav. If Paine guns it in the VFL, make him the #1 target and give Trav an extra week off. Frawley is a quality defender, so I want to see how Jackson copes with it. Lynch will be around in the forward line and up the ground as training wheels.
Witts - Similar situation for Witts. With Jolly as his training wheels, I want to see how Witts will handle playing more time in the ruck and if we're good with injuries, I want to see Jolly, not Witts get subbed off. Jamar's a quality ruckman at his best, so I want Witts to close out the game as #1 ruck.

Probably not the best idea, but we are playing Melbourne. So I'd like to see some experimentation.

Out: Clarke, Maxwell, Blair

Clarke - Exposed in the 1v1s quite badly. I think the rise of Seedsman as an offensive weapon has changed the dynamics of the backline. Whereas earlier in the year, Clarke played a balanced game and did some offensive running, now he's more mindful of playing defensively because Seeds is doing a lot of the creating from half back. Opposition teams are then exploiting the match up.
Maxwell - Am I right in saying that he might have had a niggle that caused his substitution? Well then, let's just say that it doesn't get right in time for the game next week.
Blair - Tackling hard, working hard, but the output and possibly confidence isn't there. Plus, I don't think we have a good balance - too many short people. I'd like to give Blair a week off or so, then bring him back into the team after the bye. Having JT, Ball, Macaffer, Kennedy and Martin in the starting line up makes it difficult for Tyrion.

In: Russell, Paine, Witts

Russell - Will be better than Maxwell and with Seedsman elevating his game in recent weeks, it's pushed Clarke to play less offensively, which exposes him badly. Let Seedsman, O'Brien and Shaw make the running from the back half with Russell and Williams playing more defensive.
Paine - Forget Trav. If Paine guns it in the VFL, make him the #1 target and give Trav an extra week off. Frawley is a quality defender, so I want to see how Jackson copes with it. Lynch will be around in the forward line and up the ground as training wheels.
Witts - Similar situation for Witts. With Jolly as his training wheels, I want to see how Witts will handle playing more time in the ruck and if we're good with injuries, I want to see Jolly, not Witts get subbed off. Jamar's a quality ruckman at his best, so I want Witts to close out the game as #1 ruck.

Really Like those Changes but I would keep Maxwell in and Drop Lynch Instead

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 11 - Collingwood v Melbourne - MCG Mon 10/6/13 - 3.20 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back