Preview AFL Rd 17 - Coll vs Carlton - Prematch Discussion, DaVe86's Preview post 138, Teams post 236

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Rd 17 - Coll vs Carlton - Prematch Discussion, DaVe86's Preview post 138

I should have known better than to expect a half decent conversation with you guys. We were invited to come over here and have a talk about the game but I can see that's just not going to happen. Shame.
Can I ask why you compared Robinson to Ball instead of Thomas? Seems nonsensical to me.

Re: AFL Rd 17 - Coll vs Carlton - Prematch Discussion, DaVe86's Preview post 138

I should have known better than to expect a half decent conversation with you guys. We were invited to come over here and have a talk about the game but I can see that's just not going to happen. Shame.
You don't want a half decent conversation though, you want us to admit your team is chockers with superstars and if it wasn't for injuries you'd beat us.

Of course everyone here knows that is rubbish, but instead of shutting your mouth and toeing the line like we have to on your board, you get on your high horse when we call you out. Go back to your board, honestly we don't want, enjoy reading or even pretend to entertain that we like your views here

Carltons midfield is good and definitely their strength. But we've got them covered, both for top end talent and depth. It's not even close really.

Umpires for Saturday are Margetts, Rosebury and Meredith.

This is straight from Brett Rosebury replying to my tweet.

That's 3 pretty good umpires, you usually don't get 3 of that quality for one game, meaning the AFL clearly sees this game as its biggest showpiece for a while, and why not.:)

[
quote=Optimax;21617860]
You don't want a half decent conversation though, you want us to admit your team is chockers with superstars and if it wasn't for injuries you'd beat us.
When did I say anything like this. I was expressing an opinion on our respective midfields. You guys are clearly a better side than us. With or without our injured players.

Of course everyone here knows that is rubbish, but instead of shutting your mouth and toeing the line like we have to on your board, you get on your high horse when we call you out. Go back to your board, honestly we don't want, enjoy reading or even pretend to entertain that we like your views here
What are you talking about, shutting my mouth?? We were invited here to discuss the game, thats what I was doing.

Optimax, just because i think we have a better midfield does not make me a troll. I was hoping to have a decent discussion, but I'll do as you wish.
You'll get your wish, I wont be back.

Judd, Swan, Pendlebury are all in a group by themselves, and I could forgive anyone for liking one over the other. Murphy wouldn't be out of place in that group either, but for me is just below the others in terms of reliability, consistent output and impact.

Jolly is a better ruckman than anything Carlton has on offer, and it's not really open for debate I don't think.

Ball is the best inside contested ball winner, clearance/tackling machine from both teams, of the remaining players. Ellard, Curnow, McLean (lol), Robinson a clear class below, particularly when you look at the length of time Ball's been at it at a very high level. Could be his best season this year after a super 2010.

After that, Simpson, Carazzo, Scotland (not really a mid, but I'm struggling) then is falls away in a huge way. Gibbs isn't a midfielder at all this year.

While over at Collingwood you still have a genuinely good midfielder in Wellingham, the best winger in the game (Thomas), and players who are in there in bursts like Didak, Beams, Sidebottom, Shaw (wing), Blair, Krakeour, Davis - half the team can go in there proficiently.

Absolute no contest unless you're looking at the starting four from each side, in which case it's debatable, but still pretty clearly to Collingwood:

Jolly, Pendlebury, Swan, Ball > Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy, Ellard/Robinson

May be time to leave this thread Toad.
Only an unlikely win on Saturday would give us any credibility here on this argument. :)

I don't even think an upset win would do much to help your argument really. Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas have all been talked about as potentially being the best player in the comp at various stages this year, then we have about twice the midfield depth Carlton do.

It's not close at all, if you think Carlton midfield is the equal of ours then you're sadly deluding yourself, I don't think your midfield has even broke even with ours even once in the last 4 games. Hint, it's not our press, our players are just better. :)

I want such an enormous win this weekend that it sends their filth supporters back to whatever hovels their consider home. I don't want to see a Carlton supporter outside of their own board for at least 12 months.

117 points is the benchmark, I'd be hoping for 150 min.

AFL ROUND 17
CARLTON v COLLINGWOOD
Saturday 16 July, 2011
MCG, 2:10pm

COLLINGWOOD
B:
Leon Davis, Ben Reid, Harry O’Brien
HB: Alan Toovey, Nick Maxwell, Heath Shaw
C: Dane Swan, Dale Thomas, Sharrod Wellingham
HF: Jarryd Blair, Chris Tarrant, Andrew Krakouer
F: Steele Sidebottom, Travis Cloke, Leigh Brown
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury (vc), Luke Ball
Int: Luke Rounds, Lachlan Keeffe, Ben Johnson, Alex Fasolo

In: Ben Johnson
Out: Simon Buckley (omitted)

Carlton

* B: Bret Thornton, Lachlan Henderson, Aaron Joseph
* HB: Christopher Yarran, Jeremy Laidler, Nick Duigan
* C: Bryce Gibbs, Chris Judd, Heath Scotland
* HF: Jeffrey Garlett, Matthew Watson, Kade Simpson
* F: Andrew Walker, Matthew Kreuzer, Eddie Betts
* Foll: Robert Warnock, Mitch Robinson, Marc Murphy
* I/C: Paul Bower, David Ellard, Edward Curnow, Wayde Twomey
* Emg: Dennis Armfield, Kane Lucas, Zach Tuohy

In: Twomey, Curnow and Watson.
Out: Houlihan, Waite and Russel

I like the selection, I think Buckley needs to get 2-3 games under his belt in the VFL to get back to the level he was playing at before a few niggling injuries hit.

And BJ's back, woo hoo, another premiership hero.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL ROUND 17
CARLTON v COLLINGWOOD
Saturday 16 July, 2011
MCG, 2:10pm

COLLINGWOOD
B:
Leon Davis, Ben Reid, Harry O’Brien
HB: Alan Toovey, Nick Maxwell, Heath Shaw
C: Dane Swan, Dale Thomas, Sharrod Wellingham
HF: Jarryd Blair, Chris Tarrant, Andrew Krakouer
F: Steele Sidebottom, Travis Cloke, Leigh Brown
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury (vc), Luke Ball
Int: Luke Rounds, Lachlan Keeffe, Ben Johnson, Alex Fasolo

In: Ben Johnson
Out: Simon Buckley (omitted)

I agree and Think that is a Good Change

Be good to see benny in action again, little disappointed Dids couldn't get up for the game though...hopefully he'll be back soon.

Where is Didak? Perhaps he is coming back through the reserves?

BTW that non logical toad of a carlton supporter... i happened to stumble across your dribble about the carlton midfield.

You continue to look past the fact that our midfield isnt permanent like yours. We dont rely on a Judd or Murphy and rotate a number of our HHF and HBF through due to our depth. Didak (AA), Thomas (AA), Johnson, Sidebottom, Davis (AA) and Beams. Got a hell of a lot more depth and players than your club could dream.

Here's to a 50+ smashing Saturday.

Lets hope we ensure Aaron Joesph gets a lot of the ball on Saturday.

[
What are you talking about, shutting my mouth?? We were invited here to discuss the game, thats what I was doing.

Optimax, just because i think we have a better midfield does not make me a troll. I was hoping to have a decent discussion, but I'll do as you wish.
You'll get your wish, I wont be back.

I would take a different line. I welcome posters like Toad and Harker who seem to give balanced views. I'd rather a little controversy and an alternate view as long as they keep it balanced which they have

Dont see much difference in the starting midfields. I'd rather ours but say Kreuzer/Judd/Murphy/Ellard doesnt lose anything much in comparison to Jolly/Swan/Pendles/Ball.

We bat deeper and have a better forward line and even more so defence. I wouldn't really expect a Carlton supporter to roll over on a comparison involving Juud and Murphy.

This board is good because we allow opposition views. We only get stronger by tolerating and encouraging their visits. If any of you experience treatment on another board that doesn't measure take it as a positive not something to fling back in the future

Carlton's team has been added to my edited post

I'd still like Caff in there somewhere, but everyone has their favourites. Thrilled to see BJ back, glad I was on the money :p

Carlton's team has been added to my edited post
Jordan Russell out too, wow, this will be easier then Hawthorn I reckon.:eek:

Look at those ins, I bet the Collingwood boys are shaking in their boots now.

Updated tip, Pies by 56.:thumbsu:

I approve of BJ in for Buckley. Maybe a little harsh on Buckley but over the last couple of weeks he's had a few more iffy possessions/decisions than the rest of the team IMO. Has not played bad at all but our expectations and performance atm are so high that a little drop-off can cost you.

I approve of BJ in for Buckley. Maybe a little harsh on Buckley but over the last couple of weeks he's had a few more iffy possessions/decisions than the rest of the team IMO. Has not played bad at all but our expectations and performance atm are so high that a little drop-off can cost you.

Agreed. Whoever went out was going to be unlucky but Benny J has been v good recent times and has a number of clutch performances in the bag. He has to come as he is clearly best 22.

No offence but Ellard reminds me of Luke Godden. As for Warnock, he makes Josh Fraser look like Clark Keating in September 01/02/03. Mitch Robinson is a toughnut but his disposal makes Paul Licuria's foot skills look like Peter Daicos in full flight.

..more'so the combination that has netted the blues the most clearances.. ..although it could be given a helpful nudge by the excellent form that Murphy and Judd have been in this season.. ..but often a midfield combi is more than the sum of it's parts.. ..individually there's definite areas that Knockers and Ellard could improve upon, but as a foursome at CB's they're the best so far this season for the blues [who are a very good clearance team].. ..looking at clearances and scores from stoppages, Blues rate very well.. ..so the midfield can't be too shabby.. ..as for best mids, as i said a very 'opinionated' kind of arguement and i reckon it's hard to definitively say team X has the best midfield for more than a few weeks at any given time..

Anybody think Keefe will be put down back and Taz up forward due to Carlton's lack of talls at both ends? (Keefe would be much better back than forward, and somebody should be able to cover Betts etc. other than Tarrant)

Sure, we don't want to mess with our back 6 who are working perfectly, but would like to see Keefe given a shot at something he has been doing for more than one week (playing forward).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back