AFL Round 13 Brisbane Lions V Adelaide Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A few points...

1. What happened to the rule that key position kids take years to get up to AFL standard? Leuenberger has played 18 senior games in his first one and a half seasons, seems impressive to me.

2. What is better 80 percent gametime in the reserves or 20 percent game time in the seniors?

3. No genuine second ruckman? I'd suggest if Carlton had even a genuine 1st Ruckman, Kreuzer would be playing his share of reserves football too.

4. Why does Hampson keep getting 'the flick'... blah blah bad for his confidence.... blah blah Ted Richards... blah blah.

mate cool your heels. I was just after an answer as to why he is getting dropped.

Just relax

No not really, just a bunch of useless comments, 80% & 20%

What is he doing wrong, Not finding the footy. Not going in hard enough etc...
Thats what im after

We have given reasons (around 10 in total from all posters) for why he is playing 2s. You seem to be digging to try and find a weakness in his game (most likely to start a Berger vs Kruezer debate:rolleyes:), but as we pointed out on-field form is not the most major issue.

No not really, just a bunch of useless comments, 80% & 20%

Thats what im after

He is working on his stamina to run out games and his ability to take a mark a touch better. All those things that a 2nd year player has to focus on.

We have given reasons (around 10 in total from all posters) for why he is playing 2s. You seem to be digging to try and find a weakness in his game (most likely to start a Berger vs Kruezer debate:rolleyes:), but as we pointed out on-field form is not the most major issue.
Got nothing to do with the comparison mate, in fact i probably would take Berger ahead of Kreuzer and i have said this the whole time.

Lets just hope the boy can get some continuity and confidence, and work on his deficiencies and get some regular game time in the ones.

to the person that suggested that Mitch Clarke is a ruckman... i thought he was a Forward... am i wrong on that to... not having a go at you BTW

Thanks guys

Thats what im after

Why do you assume that when one player replaces another it is because someone did something wrong?

Yes Leuenberger has tired a little, but it is the emergence of Clark that has allowed us to rest him.

Why do you assume that when one player replaces another it is because someone did something wrong?

Yes Leuenberger has tired a little, but it is the emergence of Clark that has allowed us to rest him.

Has Clarke been your 2nd option Ruckman, as i thought he was only a forward???

As you can tell i dont really watch too many Brisbane games...

Cheers mate

I am staggered with some of the changes this week.

Now we have replaced Johnstone with Henderson. :confused:

Disappointed I missed out on Adelaide at 3.80 to win by less than 39.5. They had come in a bit when I went down to the TAB.

Agree about the changes...I am staggered with the changes and expect us to get absolutely spanked this week, especially against a real experienced team like the Crows...I for one would not have 3 first year players play against the Crows.

I put a fair bit on the Crows, but only at $2.85. Like you, I am spewing I didn't get on at $3.80...awesome odds.

Agree about the changes...I am staggered with the changes and expect us to get absolutely spanked this week, especially against a real experienced team like the Crows...I for one would not have 3 first year players play against the Crows.

As far as I can tell, Harding is the only player who may be match fit (not sure) of the players not selected that isn't a first or 2nd year player.

As far as I can tell, Harding is the only player who may be match fit (not sure) of the players not selected that isn't a first or 2nd year player.

I would have preferred the more mature-bodied Dalziell at the expense of Polkinghorne and another runner like Proud/Harding for Henderson.

But I do agree, having 6 of our best 22 out injured (Johnstone, Sherman, Roe, Bradshaw, Lappin, Begley) is really starting to ravage our season and if we lost another one or two this week, the top 8 in no certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to the person that suggested that Mitch Clarke is a ruckman... i thought he was a Forward... am i wrong on that to... not having a go at you BTW

Thanks guys

Mitch Clark was drafted as a forward/ruck, but we've only started playing him in ruck this season. He's done a good enough job to play a consistent second ruck position while being versatile enough with an engine to play through the midfield, in attack or pinch hit in defense if we need him. Hope that helps explain it.

Although I have placed a substantial bet on the Crows to win this, these are the games I love to win and the most fulfilling.

Meaning: 6 of our best 22 out, playing an in-form top 4-5 side (unlucky against the Hawks) and alot of kids in our side. Beating a experienced mob like the Crows would obviously be way more satisfying than beating say a Melbourne with a full-strength 22. It gives the side an enormous amount of impetus for the second half of the season, not to mention the confidence gained. Very similar to the Geelong game, in terms of an under-manned 22 and not many people I know giving us shot, me included, but would love to be proved wrong.

With 4 very winnable games coming up over the next month (Melb, Ess, WCE, Rich) clinching this one would be a massive bonus, but will be bloody tough.

Memo to Matthews: Play Phyllis forward of the footy, keep him out of our back half and lets focus on his possessions either entering the fifty or being shots at goal. He doesn't seem to have the pace or elusiveness to be a running defender, he is in our best 22 when in form and we need him to be a damaging direct fooballer and not a constant lateral mover of the footy.

Drummo is massively important tonight. I'm expecting to see the ball in Adelaide's forward half much more than ours. I think our backline is good enough to stop most attacks and you can always count on the crows to kick their fair share of points. But if we're any chance of winning it will come down to how well we bring it out of defence and in turn provide quick delivery to our leading forwards. Drummond's quaterback role is vital.

I posted this in another thread, but I will repeat it here.

1. He gets more game time under his young legs in the 2s.
2. He isn't "punished" by big ruckman week after week if he is rotating between 1s and 2s.
3. Charman has proven to be a better performer when given a heavier ruck load and the same is true for Leuenberger - he takes a while to get into games as a ruck as he is still developing.
4. Clark is much better suited to the "relief ruckman" role as he is an alright ruckman, but very flexible in other positions he can play as well as being slightly better around the ground than Leuenberger currently.

Plenty of reasons for Leuenberger not playing 1s (but form issues won't be high on the list).

Agree with all of those, I'd add only that we seem to be playing less of the two big ruckmen philosophy these days. I think due to two factors, firstly the modern game is more a running game than a crash and bash game. Secondly the retirement of Big Beau and the trading of Wood means that we are short in the ruck department so I think they are just trying to protect the two quality rucks they have.

Did anyone here a result of what happened last night when Adelaide refused to train on the Gabba due to concerns about injury.They called the AFL in, tests were done, but nothing else was said.
Is the game on, or could it be changed.odd stuff.

We had a massive storm last evening, no power, generator back up at work the lot.So the area got some substantial rain, so that should help the cause.

About 10 minutes ago 3AW was reporting that Drummond was out!!!

Hopefully what they reported was incorrect, and Drummond is playing, he is the key in our defence!!!

Go Lions!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Round 13 Brisbane Lions V Adelaide Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back