Preview AFL Round 17-GWS Giants vs Geelong Cats, Saturday July 25th 1.45 pm, Startrack Oval (Canberra)

Who will win Geelong or GWS?

• Geelong by 1-24 points

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Geelong by 24-48 points

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Geelong by 48 + points

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • GWS by 1-24 points

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • GWS by 24-28 points

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • GWS by 48 + points

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No idea (the Fred Le Deux option)

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Giants lost all 3 games at Star Trek oval last season- they played the Dogs, Port and Norf and went down by 5+ goals in each game. This season, they have played there twice: vs Melbourne (when Melb were struggling to score more than 7 goals in a game at that time of the season), and vs the Suns, who were struggling without Junior. Yeah, they were good wins but I hope we can bring one of our better games against them. Wouldn't be too worried about Star Trek- and they only play there 3 games a season, by the looks.
I'm probably thinking of Spotloss Stadium pal. But for us I don't think it makes a great difference as to whether its at Startrack or Spotloss. We've never really smashed the Giants either in comparison to what other teams have done to them in their first few years. Hopefully we show up from the first bounce! ;)

Walking down the road to watch this one.

Just hope it's warmer than it has been lately. Nigh on Arctic recently :eek:

And I'll have the Minister of Internal Affairs with me......who happens to be a Hawks supporter that hates Geelong :(
can you detour into the men's dunnies on the way in and ditch her, Cataholic? I couldn't imagine anything worse- other than watching a Norf game with my hubby, of course. (though he doesn't actually hate the Cats- he just likes to hang shit on me when Norf FINALLY beat us..)

3 games at their home venue in a row!! Last time we played them at Simonds was in 2012, unbelievable!

Well spotted, Tysio. That is absolute crap, isn't it? The venues used to be rotated year by year- looks like another of the AFL's equalisation strategies. Having said that, I'm happy with only 1 WA trip this season, and no Brissie trip :D Very happy, in fact!

Yeah, well. In four years we are yet to get any kind of home game against Freo - all games (including week after next) have been/will be at Subiaco - throw in an extra couple against the Weagles and we've been to Perth more often than you guys have come to us (or you guys have gone to Perth over the same stretch)

Yet to get the Suns or the Dogs in Sydney and got our first home game against Brisbane a few weeks ago after three straight to the Gabba - so I suppose what comes around goes around.

Should be a good game - could go either way depending on which Geelong and which Giants teams turn up.

can you detour into the men's dunnies on the way in and ditch her, Cataholic? I couldn't imagine anything worse- other than watching a Norf game with my hubby, of course. (though he doesn't actually hate the Cats- he just likes to hang shit on me when Norf FINALLY beat us..)

That's why she's so bitter - cos we beat them repeatedly, but now she revels in our difficulties :mad:

And you're right, there's nothing worse :(

Ditch her? Hmm.

You might be on to something there!

Yeah, well. In four years we are yet to get any kind of home game against Freo - all games (including week after next) have been/will be at Subiaco - throw in an extra couple against the Weagles and we've been to Perth more often than you guys have come to us (or you guys have gone to Perth over the same stretch)

Yet to get the Suns or the Dogs in Sydney and got our first home game against Brisbane a few weeks ago after three straight to the Gabba - so I suppose what comes around goes around.

Should be a good game - could go either way depending on which Geelong and which Giants teams turn up.
The fixture shits us all at times, I think, Ichabod.
Especially when we see the Big Club$ stay home at the MCG under contrived circumstances.
I know the interstate clubs might moan about having to travel every second week but they knew that was the case when they signed up to play AFL. If that travel can be alleviated a little- i.e. teams travelling more to adjoining states rather than across the country- then maybe supporters will be a little happier.

FWIW, we had a lot of travel to WA over several years a few years ago, maybe it's our turn to have a rest from it. Or we'd travel to WA, then to Brisbane 2 weeks later, with stupid 6 day breaks factored in between somewhere. We only seem to play WA teams once a year at the moment though, which suits me fine, especially when they're both up and about. ;):D

Both teams have been a bit up and down this season- I think you're right and it will all come down to which team turns up on the day. I hope it's our better version :)

That's why she's so bitter - cos we beat them repeatedly, but now she revels in our difficulties :mad:

And you're right, there's nothing worse :(

Ditch her? Hmm.

You might be on to something there!
temporarily, of course :D You can always sit elsewhere, find her at the end of the game and tell her you got lost! :D

(even better- get some brownie points by telling her that you helped an old bloke get medical attention after an accident in the toilets :) Win-win! :D)

temporarily, of course :D You can always sit elsewhere, find her at the end of the game and tell her you got lost! :D

(even better- get some brownie points by telling her that you helped an old bloke get medical attention after an accident in the toilets :) Win-win! :D)

Or stir her up by saying I spent the arvo chatting to another, younger, lady :p

Possibly out for the remainder of the season

At the sponsor's day last week Troy Selwood put out a chart of injured guys and when they expect them back and said they expect almost all the injured guys, including Vardy, back within 2-3 weeks and only McCarthy and Clark were expected to be 4 weeks or longer. So we will probably only get him back close to finals if at all.

At ground level (where I was on Saturday), he looked very slow. Don't see he can be keeping someone out now. We're not a hope for the flag, why not start phasing out the weak links?
I agree Stokes is done, he doesn't tackle or win the hard ball and he's completely lost his pace, I think Cockatoo should come in seeing as we're playing against a lot of kids in the GWS team, I think he can have a great impact as a sub, plus we gutsed our way to a win on the weekend but lacked pace and polish on the outside, while Smedts probably deserves a shot it at some point I think Cocky is far more hard at the ball, fast, versatile, and skilful than Smedts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

catempire or any other mod for that matter given this is looking like a 50/50 game somewhat can we get a poll put in?
I can't seem to do it on the mobile. Will do tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Tough game this - i watched the Giants last qtr against Suns - straight after the Geelong game on Saturday - theve got some athletic types - J Cameron - Tommy Lonegran is going to have to be on his game ( and find about a yard of pace) - glad in a way its in Canberra- because GWS wiped the floor with Hawthorn in the last qtr in their game earlier this year at Spotless

We are 7 and half wins and losses - i think that trend will keep happening - we will lose this week ( hopefully im wrong) and then we will beat Brisbane the following week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back