Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope we arent too conservative with this game...still need to win and a big win could be the perfect confidence boost.

Mackie desrves a rest but would hope we can continue with Jimmy to give him continuity....giving Chapman another spell could be worthwhile to ensure his niggles get a little more time.

I like the idea of Smedts coming in though...is definitely first 22.

I got two member tickets that not going to use. Will put them on seat resale. Unless someone here wants them in next 1/2 hour. They undercover up the back of the hickey stand. They where the aisle goes up so extra leg room too

The Bulldogs have a late change.

They've bought in another ruckman in Campbell and left out Jones.

Doesn't surprise.

They've been playing 3 rucks most games (with Roughead as a defender admittedly) so not unexpected for Campbell to come in.

Long odds on us playing four finals, to be honest.

Ill take those odds if your willing to lay down some cash......

My ladder predictor has it all mapped out;

EF Geelong v North Melbourne (MCG - Sat Alvo) - Geelong by 38 points.

SF Geelong v Adeliade (Adelaide - Sat Night) - Geelong by 24 points.

PF Geelong v Sydney (SCG - Sat Night) - Geelong by 12 points.

GF Geelong v Hawthorn (MCG - Sat) - Geelong by 1 point.

Geelong getting up in a beauty over a tired Hawthorn who once again have an epic PF against Collingwood the week before. Tom Hawkins cements himself as one of the greats with a 20+ goal finals series and Trav Varcoe stars as Super Sub.

Couldn't be anymore simple really.......

the afl would be desperate to get a game at jihad.

if we end up playing norf what're the chances we end up playing there.

Depends on where the interstate teams play - MCG gets first bite if Sydney and Crows get home finals.

Still thinks there's a chance we might play the Blues at the G in front of 94,000 on a mild Saturday afternoon.

Don't mind trav coming in but long odds on him being able to play 4 finals
Should only be getting better with each game he plays. If he was a racehorse you'd say he'd been set for the gf after 6 previous runs this campaign. If he's got good cover and pulls out 3 wide at the turn with a clear run at it I'm backing him in..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should only be getting better with each game he plays. If he was a racehorse you'd say he'd been set for the gf after 6 previous runs this campaign. If he's got good cover and pulls out 3 wide at the turn with a clear run at it I'm backing him in..
What a weird comment

Trav is pure inside material....get him out front early and just let him charge home with others in his wake.

Ill take those odds if your willing to lay down some cash......

My ladder predictor has it all mapped out;

EF Geelong v North Melbourne (MCG - Sat Alvo) - Geelong by 38 points.

SF Geelong v Adeliade (Adelaide - Sat Night) - Geelong by 24 points.

PF Geelong v Sydney (SCG - Sat Night) - Geelong by 12 points.

GF Geelong v Hawthorn (MCG - Sat) - Geelong by 1 point.

Geelong getting up in a beauty over a tired Hawthorn who once again have an epic PF against Collingwood the week before. Tom Hawkins cements himself as one of the greats with a 20+ goal finals series and Trav Varcoe stars as Super Sub.

Couldn't be anymore simple really.......

Where's that lid?

and we wont playing at the SCG.....

I think thats huge to be honest.
I cant see what Gaz posted not happening (didnt I post that earlier in this thread?)
ANZ helps us ALOT and I would prefer to play the Swans in a prelim than say the Pies.
Hawks in the GF is SO scary tho....

Maybe a little indigestion from some of your analytical, logical comments.
I frankly have very little care or concern about the voting system in our B&F.
I love watching our team which has a blend of all sorts, and we've been blessed with Wojo in the past, a key player in our structure, yet hardly a vote winner, and TV, again a similar player. Critical enough that our MC have decided to include him this week, and never once dropped him last year, fwiw, despite the frequent advice fron some BF experts.
You frankly do not have the knowledge that our MC has as far as his role in our team. I respect your knowledgeable opinions most of the time, but it's futile comparing facets of Lonergam's S&W, with Varcoe's .
I get sick of similar opinions regarding Rioli, those saying he is overrated, not enough possessions etc. , just jealousy, the guy is a genius of a player. Varcoe may not be in his league yet, but he is of that ilk. And he has shown he can do IT on the biggest stage possible, when it counts, and that is my last memory of his ability, hence the enthusiasm to see him aspire to get there again.

It’s mystifying just why you would make the comment that I don’t have the football knowledge of our match committee when I’ve said ad infinitum on this forum that none of us here have anything approaching that knowledge or insight. It’s not only something I’ve remarked on soooo often, it’s a given.

That said there are some here who, to my eyes, have had some degree of playing and coaching experience at a half decent level and therefore have an interest in, and understanding of, behind the scenes thinking. People who also take an interest in keeping abreast of modern day football thinking and may still have an involvement in the game.

There are light years of difference between the popular media voting and the way our club assesses player performances and applies votes in the Carji. Even the Brownlow with the 3.2.1 system is flawed for many reasons, not the least being that it assesses the 3 vote player as 3 times better than the 1 vote player which is nonsense.

I sometimes quote our voting system because there is a panel that assesses the performance of every player on a scale of 1 to 10. Performances based on pre-set KPIs related to the roles given, how effectively they were carried out, and the degree of difficulty. The panels’ assessments are aggregated and averaged to arrive at a players vote.

Because it is a detailed measure and because it is measured by the very people you have correctly said have the expertise that I rate it so highly and therefore think there is justification in using it as a sound guide to player performance. As I’ve said it is light years from the largely superficial media voting.

Much of the discussion regarding Trav reminds me of the one on Nathan Ablett. There were some here who even rated him as better than Gaz. The Carji was an excellent guide to the clubs assessment of him in those heady days when people were grossly overestimating his contribution.

Trav is a wonderful player with immense talent. All that some of us are saying is that we would like him to be remembered for consistently high level performances rather than occasional ones. There’s still time.

I enjoy our different takes on issues. It makes for good forum discussion.

BTW. I was referring to Tom Longergan’s attitude not “facets” of his game.

The guy whose gig he's taken, Simpkin, was BOG in the two's today, again! coming off a 9 poss last qtr verses the Saints, lets hope Varcoe brings something to the table besides hype tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back