Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just nervous about him playing at all, at any level, this year.

If they have made the decision to do that, and that he is a chance to play afl finals as a sub, then he needs to play this weekend at AFL level.

If he was to play VFL again this week, then he would then have to be thrown into the Swans game as a test, which we can't afford to do.

You want the truth? He's been sponsored by this board since day one and let's just say there have been some very rose-coloured glasses for a long portion of that. He took a long time to come good and got a lot of games early that on form he absolutely did not deserve. He came good during the finals and contributed when he had to, but to infer in hindsight he has a great year is ridiculous.

you talking about hawkins or varcoe? only difference is hawkins was pilloried.

get off the kids back and let him play the game before his inclusion is criticised.

either that, or email scott and tell him how wrong he has got it. again, before the fact.

edit: last two lines not directed at you personally.

Should be a ripper of a game against an old foe. I remember the days when the Bulldogs hadn't won here for 13 years and only once in 26 years starting from the early 60's to the mid 70's. One game (early 70's I think)we were 26 points down at 3/4 time and won by 7 when the ground only had 3 grandstands and the old scoreboard down the southern end was a giant rectangular box. You could stand on the Moorabool wing and drink cans all day and when you the game was finished, the ground was like a bomb had hit it. Cans everywhere and streamers all over the oval with 3 areas of mud (1 up each end and a big patch in the middle). Now that is history of a long rivalry. Not like these crap games against Port or GC or GWS. Of all the games programmed for Kardinia Park, the old foes are the ones I enjoy most. Let's hope it's a good one.

Yes it was a bit harsh. I thought Duncans grand final was actually quite good despite the bad reviews he got. I also think his role in that goal was underated by the media. But to suggest that Duncan contributed to the lionshare of that goal was just ridiculous. The poster should have a good hard look at himself. Duncan did drop a very gettable mark, although it was no gimme. Varcoes crumbing at top pace and snap on goal was more difficult then Duncans mark attempt.

Duncan's GF wasn't without its flaws - he got outbodied too easily in a marking contest inside 50 soon after he came on and I think he gave away at least one free kick - but it was a good performance for a 20 year old playing in easily the biggest game of his career nonetheless. His first touch was a direct goal assist to Stevie J, and in the third term he contributed to more build ups that resulted in goals than probably anyone else (aside from obviously Hawkins). After Christensen took his famous undersized hanger on the wing, quick ball movement gave us the opportunity to bomb forward in numbers, and it was Duncan who kicked inside 50 for Ottens to get the ball out to Hawkins, who soccered home a major. He was also involved in Hawkins' first goal and obviously kicked truly himself from 50. Never understood on what basis his efforts were singled out for especial criticism.

I am of the firm belief that we should play Varcoe because of two reasons.

1. He would not be playing unless he was 100% and thus had no more chance of injury than any other player.

2. He is one of our only players that have played over 50 games and are in that age group that is essential to our future. People on this board are convinced we need a player like Boak who is under 25 and has a lot of AFL experience yet question whether or not Varcoe is essential to our side. This is a list of players who have played 50+ games and are under 25 years old.

Joel Selwood 133 Games 24 years and 2 months of age
Travis Varcoe 100 Games 24 years and 4months of age.
Tom Hawkins 98 Games 24 years of age.

We have three people in this age group that is essential to our future as they will be the leaders and players we expect to play well consistently over the next two years while our young guns develop and our old champions begin to slow. I am not saying that we should play Varcoe just because he is fit, however the potential upside of Varcoe compared to someone like Simpkin or Murdoch is huge. Therefore in a game which playing Varcoe in and having him not do well is of no real significance is great. If he plays well let him try again against Sydney and solidify his spot for finals, if he does not play well, then he can go back to the VFL or sit the rest of the season out. No loss at all.

However the benefits of a fit and firing Varcoe are huge compared to a young, inexperienced player such as Murdoch, Guthrie and Smedts. Especially in finals, where the pressure is on and these youngsters will make mistakes, heck even Luke Shuey got embarrassed in some instances last year in his first final and he is considered one of the premium youngsters in the AFL. Varcoe provides incredible run and carry along with exceptional skills and is a great reader of the play, if he can bring this against the dogs it will be a great benefit come finals.

In summary a fit and firing Varcoe is greater than any of youngsters (except for Menzel, who I consider to be an exceptional talent and will be a star if he recovers well.)

you talking about hawkins or varcoe? only difference is hawkins was pilloried.

get off the kids back and let him play the game before his inclusion is criticised.

either that, or email scott and tell him how wrong he has got it. again, before the fact.

edit: last two lines not directed at you personally.

Both have copped it from time to time. For different reasons. Mine was about Varcoe.

I think most of us have come to the thinking that if the club thinks he's fit (which they obviously do), they might as well run him around in the seniors. I've got no problem with that at all. He'll only be better for the run.

Didn't finish in the top 11 at the Carji last year? I wonder why???
I'd really love to find out just where the heck he did finish, the vital chmpion he is.
That's why if you run around all game spectating, you're not likely to attract votes, that's why!

To be fair to Simpkin he's killed it in the two's for the odd senior appearance, yes, only 12 possessions against the eagles after a stint in the two's once again.
But having a second game, his reading of play and that spot up of Hawkins(last qtr) with 9 possessions from a quater of football against a very tough opponent in the Saints(just ask THunt) and playing for their season, proved to me, he's got what it takes.

As for Varcoe 12 possessons is a regular game.

Does he need to finish in the top 11? I would have thought the debate centered around whether he is worth his spot in the 22. Did he finish top 22?

As for comparing Simpkin to Varcoe, apples and oranges. One is an inside mid and one is an outside runner.

Let's face it...Bulldogs today are not light years above strong VFL standard. I suspect if we were playing Hawthorn or Collingwood, MC may be a little less likely to play Trav this week.

Does he need to finish in the top 11? I would have thought the debate centered around whether he is worth his spot in the 22. Did he finish top 22?

As for comparing Simpkin to Varcoe, apples and oranges. One is an inside mid and one is an outside runner.
It's interesting how often TV features in highlight reels from our recent finals campaigns. When he's on song he is a game changer. He actually is what Bruce McAveny thinks Cyril is.

Let's hope we can stop Liam Jones getting off the leash like last time. Sit on him and they'll be lucky to kick 10 goals.

You want the truth? He's been sponsored by this board since day one and let's just say there have been some very rose-coloured glasses for a long portion of that. He took a long time to come good and got a lot of games early that on form he absolutely did not deserve. He came good during the finals and contributed when he had to, but to infer in hindsight he had a great year is total exaggeration. Because he didn't.

Hopefully he can get on the ground on Sunday, get some form and fitness up and be better for the run.
I didn't infer he had a great year. In fact I said his first half of the year was poor. Varcoe had an inconsistent year in which he gradually improved, but he did have some very good games as well. He didn't just come good in the finals. He had some great games late in the home and away season. And I agree, Varcoe got a lot of games early in his career based on talent and not form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely feel sorry for any Geelong supporter who does not think Travis Varcoe's goal in last year's Grand Final was one of the greatest individual pieces of play in our history.

It was a thing of absolute beauty from the spoil in the back half all the way through to the joyous celebration.

Agreed.
Will go down in GFC history with "The Toe-Poke".

Simpkin's pretty unlucky, but you gotta get Bundy in.

Having said that that lineup screams 'late changes' to me, Simpkin may well get a reprieve and given what Scott said about Smedts this week (and the fact he can't play vfl after this week) I'd be pretty surprised if they both don't play, let's face it almost every week this year we've had late changes so more wouldn't surprise, especially for a Sunday game.

Simpkin very unlucky IMO, was impressive in the last 1/4 last week. I wonder if he will have a new home next year? Lets be honest he would be best 22 at most bottom 8 sides already, shows alot of positives.....

It will be interesting to see how one of our strategies this year - to place immense pressure on ball carriers - is carried out by Trav this week. He is a renowned chaser and tackler and the roles he played last year especially locking down space were extremely valuable IMO. One thing we have struggled with is sides running and carrying the ball when our zone is picked apart. Watch out for Trav on the flanks depriving opposition ball carriers space to run into.

Troll win by the match committee on Meto et al.

It's a good sign to see players in the emergencies all who are worthy of a game.

I hope we can have some fun against the Bullies this week. No slow starts or fade outs please...

Let's face it...Bulldogs today are not light years above strong VFL standard. I suspect if we were playing Hawthorn or Collingwood, MC may be a little less likely to play Trav this week.
That's actually a fair call.

I'd love to see stats on Varcoe from last weeks game. (never will)
and when I say stats I mean running stats.

We know he played 70% game time. But how much of that was walking, jogging, top speed etc.
I'm sure the club knows all of this and have taken it into account.

But, (for the last time) I would have rather seen him getting more possessions and touch in the 2's.
He'll get less touches in the AFL. There is no doubt about that.

It will be interesting to see how one of our strategies this year - to place immense pressure on ball carriers - is carried out by Trav this week. He is a renowned chaser and tackler and the roles he played last year especially locking down space were extremely valuable IMO. One thing we have struggled with is sides running and carrying the ball when our zone is picked apart. Watch out for Trav on the flanks depriving opposition ball carriers space to run into.

Interesting comment, this is the sort of thing you miss by only being able to see it on television.
I wonder with Varcoe back chasing and tackling the unlikely causality for the finals will be Walker. Walker's importance to this defensive forward effort is less important if Varcoe and Motlop are doing their jobs effectively.
I see them having three options:
West and Stephenson with West spending more time up forward.
West and Vardy with Vardy spending more time up forward
West and Walker with Walker spending more time up forward.

I think I like option A, because Stephenson was so good against Hawthorn and West can clunk some big grabs up forward. Vardy is the wildcard.

I genuinely feel sorry for any Geelong supporter who does not think Travis Varcoe's goal in last year's Grand Final was one of the greatest individual pieces of play in our history.

It was a thing of absolute beauty from the spoil in the back half all the way through to the joyous celebration.

Nah...he just kicked a goal and waved his arms round a bit....:rolleyes:....and it was only one possession! No big deal.

The Carji Greeves is heavily weighted to players who play every game to a solid to good standard. If you score very little votes in a half a season then it doesn't matter how good your second half of the season is going to be. Your not going to do well. Theres a reason why Gary Ablett Senior only ever won one. Varcoe played some exceptional games in the back half of the season running of the half back flank. He got best or second best on ground in the papers in a couple of games. Being close to best on ground is an exceptional game in my book.
I think you've made my case for me.;)

BTW. Votes are awarded in the Carji on the basis of each players best 18 games. Every game is not counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back