Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
H.S 19 June 2012

Eade's talking about Minson on the field, though. At the tribunal Minson can use his book smarts.

From Scott's press conference this morning:

- Stephenson another week away from playing at any level
- Christensen trained away from main group today but Scott is confident he will play this week
- Club is tempted to play Varcoe this weekend
- Vardy unlikely to play any AFL this season (no surprise there)

If they do play Varcoe, I hope it's only as a sub to start off. I wouldn't risk him at all until R23.

since minson could miss, why don't we give west a rest and how about simpson, 36 hitouts last vfl game. And orren in?

On what I have seen and read, it would seem Simpson's fitness isn't anywhere near afl speed at the moment, which is fair enough considering the major surgery he had and all the time he missed. Think he will be a good footballer next year, but this year's finals he's run out of time.

We either have to put Orren in with West or run West alone. Personally I'd prefer the former.

Eade's talking about Minson on the field, though. At the tribunal Minson can use his book smarts.

If they do play Varcoe, I hope it's only as a sub to start off. I wouldn't risk him at all until R23.

If Varcoe plays he will definitely be the sub.

What they have to weigh is the benefits of playing a full game in the vfl (as a pose to 1 1/2 qtrs in the afl) versus the fact that this is a game in which we are likely to dominate therefore it would be an ideal game for Varcoe to find confidence and touch before Sydney.

Love your work Winty.

As for the changes, I can't see anyone getting a look in unless they are being considered for the finals. That means Bundy, Stephenson, Smedts and Guthrie with Wojo as an outside chance. Vards & Trav will get a look in possibly against the Swans but if the VFL side is playing finals then they can still get match fitness if required throughout the finals.

With Smedts still a week away (from reports), I'd say Bundy & Stephenson in for Simpkin & Walker.

If players really need a rest this week, send them down to the backline!!!

Tend to agree, with the exception that Simpkin will probably get one more game (and deserves too). I love hyphen and think he deserved a run earlier in the last 2 months, but it's too late now. Surely if you are resting anybody 2 weeks from finals you would bring in players 23 24 and 25 etc, and clearly those are Guthrie Smedts and Wojo (along with maybe Murdoch), not hyphen. Particularly given this is the last week these three can get footy in (aren't eligible for vfl finals) that's what would make sense to me.

Walker will get one more week if Orren's hand isn't right until next week, but then he'll go out. We can't carry him through finals.

I would get West to play the walker role at the moment. And Orren to take the number 1 Ruck Role. Then if needed sub Orren Off in third Qtr
I think this one needs to be tried over the next 2 weeks. Orren played very well against the Hawks and whilst Walker has shown promise you get the feeling he's running on empty at the moment , or at least making less impact.
Orren looks like the best of the other Rucks at the moment to support West. Dawson and Vardy would have to be underdone and too risky to play in Finals?

I would get West to play the walker role at the moment. And Orren to take the number 1 Ruck Role. Then if needed sub Orren Off in third Qtr

Read the previous page of the thread - Scott confirmed today that Stephenson won't play at any level this weekend.

The Eade comment related his inability to give effect to instructions. As for the hearing, methinks his result had more to do with the Counsel who represented him than big Wil.

It happens from time to time.

Last year we played Casey and Melbourne on the same day. Beat Casey by 21 goals and Melbourne by 31 goals.

Most fun I've had at the footy that day. Got to the ground halfway through the first term of the VFL when we had 4 goals on the board, so I saw Geelong kick 64 goals. :D

The Eade comment related his inability to give effect to instructions. As for the hearing, methinks his result had more to do with the Counsel who represented him than big Wil.
Edit:
You get the elephant stamp Stig. Just heard on radio Wil represented himself at the Tribunal hearing. Good on him!:thumbsu:

Most fun I've had at the footy that day. Got to the ground halfway through the first term of the VFL when we had 4 goals on the board, so I saw Geelong kick 64 goals. :D

Me and a mate did that, after watching the VFL side we decided to have a "drink for every Geelong goal" drinking game.
THEN THEY WENT AND KICKED 37 OF THE DAMN THINGS!!
I got SMASHED.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me and a mate did that, after watching the VFL side we decided to have a "drink for every Geelong goal" drinking game.
THEN THEY WENT AND KICKED 37 OF THE DAMN THINGS!!
I got SMASHED.

Reminds me of a guy who told me he was in a corporate box during the Richmond game in '07 that started our run, and he decided to have a shot of bourbon everytime we kicked a goal. Said he was off his face by halftime. :D

Reminds me of a guy who told me he was in a corporate box during the Richmond game in '07 that started our run, and he decided to have a shot of bourbon everytime we kicked a goal. Said he was off his face by halftime. :D

and quite possibly dead by time on, 4th quarter...

I feel that we need to put the screws in this game, no going to sleep for a quarter. Finals in three weeks - we need to have that hard edge honed and ready to slice whoever comes our way in an EF.
I agree. We need to play four full quarters. Anyway, the cats have to smash em because it is my birthday on Sunday.

We use to put 5 Geelong players in a hat and you had to have a shot every time your player got a kick (there was 5 of us). We needed a driver to take us all home so one of those 5 players was always Mark Blake. I got Blakey 2 weeks in a row! And had one shot in two weeks.

It doesn't seem to make any sense that we bring in a guy that we need to get to full match fitness to play more than likely a qtr - a qtr and a half in the seniors. He either needs to start or he would be better off playing 85% game time in the VFL imo.

Afl pace is a big step up from vfl though. Whenever Varcoe plays, be it this week or next, he's probably going to be the sub.

Be interesting to see how T. Hunt goes on M. Boyd.
Boyd racks up the hard ball gets and stats

Griffen is more damaging. Poodle played on him last time and will do so again.

Afl pace is a big step up from vfl though. Whenever Varcoe plays, be it this week or next, he's probably going to be the sub.

True, but even if he is the sub this week is he ready to step on if something like the Stevie J incident came about? Might be better in the VFL this week for more game time then used as a sub against the swans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back