Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some very unlucky young players to miss out on Sunday. This is a very good thing both short and long term.
Glad Sel's getting a break. Have him cherry ripe for Sydney!
I'm gonna go Walker (must give Westy a chop out), Smedts, T Hunt and Varcoe (sub) as interchange.

I hope we can still get a decent percentage boost without Selwood. It could be a costly move given how tight it is around us on the ladder.

I just hope Varcoe gets through unscathed and as the sub!

Selwood's All Australian chances were already waning going in to this match on the back of a pretty steep decline in form; resting him here makes non-selection a fait accompli unfortunately, but it's probably in our best interest come finals so I'll back the match committee.

Really encouraging to see the name Travis Varcoe on a Geelong team sheet. Finding his best fitness and form so quickly off the back of such a prolonged absense will be nigh-on impossible, so I'm lowering my expectations and just hoping he can provide more than the player he will be replacing (by definition a bottom six player; likely to be Simpkin, Smedts or Motlop) come finals. Anything more than that must be chaulked up as a considerable bonus.

I like the Selwood rest but gotta wonder who else will go (if any).
Why not name Motlop and Walker as outs aswell since they SHOULD have a weeks rest...

That's pretty harsh on Selwood.
He has copped pretty bloody hard tags the second half of the season and especially the last few weeks from probably the best taggers in the business.
Yet he has still had important hands in the games.

A week off will benefit him and get him cherry ripe for finals, good call from the selection committee.

Great to see Trav back & great to again have a selection dilemma of too many fit in form players to fit into the 22!!

264942-travis-varcoe.jpg

Yeah baby!

I think we'll drop out another senior player, maybe the crucial Lonergan, so we don't have to choose between Murdoch and Smedts. Yet. Next week, they will have to and that is a tough call. I think I prefer Murdoch at this stage.

What a thrill that Varcoe is back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not so sure about that. Varcoe needs to get some AFL-level mileage into his legs, I think they'll probably play him on the field with that in mind.

i have a feeling his delayed start to the year is actually extremely calculated.

does missing almost the entire season and coming back in for finals remind you of anyone we could have used this year?

i expect TV will start in the ruck. kudos to the MC, as well. this is the kind of left field thinking that wins flags.

does missing almost the entire season and coming back in for finals remind you of anyone we could have used this year?

i expect TV will start in the ruck. kudos to the MC, as well. this is the kind of left field thinking that wins flags.
So tempted to turn this into a Bagging Mark Blake thread...

If there are no late withdrawals, I'd suggest two of Simpkin, Smedts and Guthrie will be the unlucky ones. Varcoe wouldn't have been named if he wasn't going to play, Murdoch has to stay in and there's no-one else to do Walker's job.

EDIT: Taylor Hunt's on the bench too and unless he doesn't come up from his broken nose, he won't miss. My guess is all three of the above players are going to be unlucky.

i have a feeling his delayed start to the year is actually extremely calculated.

Are you suggesting that Trav should move maybe one locker down?:D

I'm not so sure about that. Varcoe needs to get some AFL-level mileage into his legs, I think they'll probably play him on the field with that in mind.

Agreed, he would be better running out this game first than the one next week which will be a lot harder.

They can't play varcoe. They just can't.

And my god does he look different today than from 11 months ago.

well, they can. and it seems like they will.

im looking forward to seeing how he goes. the club wouldnt do it without good reason, and they have a half decent track record.

well, they can. and it seems like they will.

im looking forward to seeing how he goes. the club wouldnt do it without good reason, and they have a half decent track record.
If they do it. They are idiots. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back