Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v Richmond, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 22 April

Predict the winner and margin

• Geelong by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 1-24

• Draw

• Richmond by 1-24

• Richmond by 25-48

• Richmond by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting.

Really mustn't be confident in Big O, hey?

unless their thinking is ease him into the season?
Regardless not a good sign for the big O.
Good to see John back and Stringer for a run! Cant wait to see how the kid goes.

Scott was really bullish on Big O in the press this week. What happened?

I don't know.

Can only assume they felt the need to bolster both the clearances hence Stringer and the defence (hence putting Josh straight back in) were considered essential and they were prepared to sacrifice a ruckman to do it.

I don't like it though, the reality is Hawkins is doing too well as a forward now to ever ruck him again which means every game you do this West has to play 90 % gametime and you've got to risk valuable assets like Bartel as your 3rd man up in the ruck for the other 10 %. I'm not sure either of those things are good ideas, regardless of whether O is considered best 22 or not. Particularly before we've got Simpson up at full capacity, running West into the ground doesn't seem like a good idea.

It won't be quite as taking for West doing it here as at the g, but I still don't like it.

I don't know.

Can only assume they felt the need to bolster both the clearances hence Stringer and the defence (hence putting Josh straight back in) were considered essential and they were prepared to sacrifice a ruckman to do it.

I don't like it though, the reality is Hawkins is doing too well as a forward now to ever ruck him again which means every game you do this West has to play 90 % gametime and you've got to risk valuable assets like Bartel as your 3rd man up in the ruck for the other 10 %. I'm not sure either of those things are good ideas, regardless of whether O is considered best 22 or not. Particularly before we've got Simpson up at full capacity, running West into the ground doesn't seem like a good idea.

It won't be quite as taking for West doing it here as at the g, but I still don't like it.

perhaps it just comes down to O being a bit sore? He's used to rucking against either kids or average ruckmen, maybe coming against big and strong AFL grade guys is taking a toll on his body at this early stage?
Im trying to find a reason why they would drop him and just cant seem to find one....

Don't see a problem with this. His main role is to be there as back up West. Atm he not adding much more than West gives by himself and if need be be we can give Walker a go as a utility.
I have no doubt he will get many more games before the years out.

But Walker's not in the side.

If they dropped O to bring in a pinch hitting ruckman who offered more around the ground you could understand it. (and I would actually agree with doing that)

But dropping O for nobody places a big load on West.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bizarre - I thought O was better than West last week. Maric has been a solid pick up for the Tigers and West will have a big afternoon keeping up with him, Graham and Vickery.

Good luck to Stringer. I hope he's the sub and Horlin-Smith gets a full game, he was impressive in his limited game time last week.

Great to see Josh back too, we've really missed him.

If Orren was sore he wouldn't be playing in the VFL tonight. I didn't think he was that bad against North, strange decision.

I don't know much about Stringer but it seems a bit soon to be giving him a game.

perhaps it just comes down to O being a bit sore? He's used to rucking against either kids or average ruckmen, maybe coming against big and strong AFL grade guys is taking a toll on his body at this early stage?
Im trying to find a reason why they would drop him and just cant seem to find one....

If he's sore, he wouldn't be playing tonight.

Looks like Scott's concerned we've been leaking too many easy goals and as OP says, has brought Hunt straight back in.

Hopefully our mids will have been flamed, and Pods and Hawkins will put on a double act worthy of ThisIsTheShow!

Problem is we've been losing the centre too. In light of that dropping Orren doesn't make no sense, particularly considering at some throw ins we will therefore have no ruckman.

Good luck to Stringer.

The Geelong team is old no more. 9 of the 22 players against Richmond will have played 32 games or less. All of them aged 22 and under.

We will have 10 players that have played under 50 games if you include Pods. (The veteran)

Our best (er, only) win of the year came with just one ruckmen, but I worry about the load on West and the possibility of Pods or Hawkins having to ruck for even 20 mins in a concern.

Not really happy with the club at the moment since they are not letting me into the ground this week. I usually just go standing room (waiting for new stand to be built so i can get a seat in there) so all i do is scan my membership when i walk in. But thats a no no this Sunday. Apparently you have to RESERVE STANDING ROOM. I wan't told this. So I get to miss out of my first home game for 5 years. I'm that angry i'm looking at going into the club and demanding a refund on my membership.

Very pleased for Stringer -had a terrible run with injury -so i hope he makes the grade. Some posters were calling for him to be cut at the end of last year

Re the game -weve got what 5 players with less than 10 games -Gillies Horlin -Smith Stringer Guthrie and Motlop. -i think some of our supporters are like Carlton supporters in the 80s in that they believe that a player that pulls on our jumper is instantly a good player . Add to the fact that Josh Hunt is 1st up for a month -and that Corey and Chapman are old and could be on the wane -then if Richmond cant give this a Big Shake on Sunday -then they are seriously No Good

Can anyone see now why I'm pushing for Walker.Should have been the rookie up grade this week.

No I can't. If there were no talls left and they'd been forced to select Stringer, you'd have a point. But Stephenson is healthy (as far as we know) and he played pretty well last week, they've just decided not to pick him.

And fpm84, Graham didn't end up making the final Richmond side, so it's just Maric and Vickery.

Very pleased for Stringer -had a terrible run with injury -so i hope he makes the grade. Some posters were calling for him to be cut at the end of last year

Re the game -weve got what 5 players with less than 10 games -Gillies Horlin -Smith Stringer Guthrie and Motlop. -i think some of our supporters are like Carlton supporters in the 80s in that they believe that a player that pulls on our jumper is instantly a good player . Add to the fact that Josh Hunt is 1st up for a month -and that Corey and Chapman are old and could be on the wane -then if Richmond cant give this a Big Shake on Sunday -then they are seriously No Good

Josh coming straight back in could mean two things,where over the number of inexperienced player they would like to field or heaven forbid Mackie will be a late withdrawal,:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back