Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v Richmond, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 22 April

Predict the winner and margin

• Geelong by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 1-24

• Draw

• Richmond by 1-24

• Richmond by 25-48

• Richmond by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really happy with the club at the moment since they are not letting me into the ground this week. I usually just go standing room (waiting for new stand to be built so i can get a seat in there) so all i do is scan my membership when i walk in. But thats a no no this Sunday. Apparently you have to RESERVE STANDING ROOM. I wan't told this. So I get to miss out of my first home game for 5 years. I'm that angry i'm looking at going into the club and demanding a refund on my membership.

There's been plenty of news for months that you'll need to reserve a ticket for standing room.Did you want the club to ring every member so they knew ?

Not really happy with the club at the moment since they are not letting me into the ground this week. I usually just go standing room (waiting for new stand to be built so i can get a seat in there) so all i do is scan my membership when i walk in. But thats a no no this Sunday. Apparently you have to RESERVE STANDING ROOM. I wan't told this. So I get to miss out of my first home game for 5 years. I'm that angry i'm looking at going into the club and demanding a refund on my membership.

Are you on the club mailing list? I have a reserved seat so the fully ticketed thing doesn't bother me, but I reckon I've received 6-10 emails from the club telling me about it since the NAB Cup. It's disappointing you'll miss the flag unfurling, but at least you know for the next game/s.

No I can't. If there were no talls left and they'd been forced to select Stringer, you'd have a point. But Stephenson is healthy (as far as we know) and he played pretty well last week, they've just decided not to pick him.

And fpm84, Graham didn't end up making the final Richmond side, so it's just Maric and Vickery.

Additionally, Maric would be first ruck at maybe GWS. And Vickery is talented but is out of form.

Still surprised the MC has excluded Orren. Possibly they don't think the the Tiges ruck combination will do us much damage and the game will be won or lost at ground level. Anyhoo, I'm not about to second guess them as they are way better informed and get it right way more than they get it wrong.

Hope you haven't invested to much on the Tiges ypo. My readies are going on Hurtle Myrtle in the Doncaster. ;)

And fpm84, Graham didn't end up making the final Richmond side, so it's just Maric and Vickery.

That's good news... I think Vickery's played pretty much exclusively forward (and had a terrible start to the season) this year, but no doubt they'll throw him in the ruck at times to try and exhaust Westy...

I'm guessing Lonergan will go to Vickery - has Lonners done any rucking? Could keep him on Vickery all game, and West could go off whenever Maric does. It wouldn't want to be much nor too near to their goals, but it'd have to be preferable to Hawkins, and he's got the build to have a crack. Want Jimmy scrounging after the hard balls so Pods seems like the next best (and far worse) option.
you pick one said:
Josh coming straight back in could mean two things,where over the number of inexperienced player they would like to field or heaven forbid Mackie will be a late withdrawal,:eek:
Ugly prospect, but it'd make sense to do it the way they have. Could move an extra small from the forward line to the middle for grunt and trust Pods, Tomahawk and SJ?

Stokes would want to play well...disappointed for Byrnes I definitely would prefer him to Stokes at the minute.

Surprised on Stephenson too. And good luck to Stringer (who I admittedly dont know anything about)

There's been plenty of news for months that you'll need to reserve a ticket for standing room.Did you want the club to ring every member so they knew ?
Pfft arrogant sarcastic prick.

Are you on the club mailing list? I have a reserved seat so the fully ticketed thing doesn't bother me, but I reckon I've received 6-10 emails from the club telling me about it since the NAB Cup. It's disappointing you'll miss the flag unfurling, but at least you know for the next game/s.

I'm on the texting list mate. The club sends me stuff all the time via text. Strange that i didn't get anything. I'm still not really happy though. But your right, at least i know now. Thanks.

Josh coming straight back in could mean two things,where over the number of inexperienced player they would like to field or heaven forbid Mackie will be a late withdrawal,:eek:

That was my worry yesterday. (that Mackie wouldn't play)

But I always expected Hunt to come straight in.

That was my worry yesterday. (that Mackie wouldn't play)

But I always expected Hunt to come straight in.

You think Mackie won't play?

I suppose if Orren and Byrnes only play a half tonight (or don't play at all) then we know Mackie's in doubt.

Stokes would want to play well...disappointed for Byrnes I definitely would prefer him to Stokes at the minute.

Surprised on Stephenson too. And good luck to Stringer (who I admittedly dont know anything about)

You can't be disappointed for Byrnes.
Stokes has had him covered for a long time.
And they play completely different roles.

Someone said "what does stokes offer that Byrnes doesnt"

Well when Byrnes was playing well he used to wheel through the middle and provide a link as we went forward.

Stokes has always been a forward link.

Stokes is still doing that. Byrnes is not doing his role. In fact he cant even get the ball through the middle anymore. Well it seems that way.

You think Mackie won't play?

I suppose if Orren and Byrnes only play a half tonight (or don't play at all) then we know Mackie's in doubt.

No, I don't think that. I'm just suss on it. We all know the Cats take the safest option of any team in the league when it comes to concussion.

That was my worry.

But Walker's not in the side.

If they dropped O to bring in a pinch hitting ruckman who offered more around the ground you could understand it. (and I would actually agree with doing that)

But dropping O for nobody places a big load on West.

If need be ... I know he is not in the side. From that pov he may be more relevant in the side than Brown but thats down the track
Actually , I dont think we are that far apart on this. Im not enraptured with the thought of Hawkins doing much in the ruck but obviously we must get more grunt in the side , the blokes brought in bring that. Its a work in progress and happy to try it out. If it proves out OK , its elevates Wests worth , if not its proves the need for that extra ruck.

As far as Byrnes or Stokes , I think they are both lucky I nearly would have gone for Schroder but just too many kids I suppose.

Agree that Stokes has had him covered previously but
vinum coupe said:
Stokes is still doing that. Byrnes is not doing his role. In fact he cant even get the ball through the middle anymore. Well it seems that way.
not sure about this. Last week aside (Byrnes being good last week with so many stars down on form would've been amazing), against the Hawks I thought Stokes was worse. Byrnes seemed to find a fair bit of the ball in that game but had very rusty hands and mucked up a lot; Stokes just seemed a non-presence against Hawthorn. At the time I was very happy with Stokes out and Byrnes staying in for North.

Wouldn't mind both finding form in the 2nds this week, though. Unconvinced they'll bring much more than Schroeder et al. on recent form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If need be ... I know he is not in the side. From that pov he may be more relevant in the side than Brown but thats down the track
Actually , I dont think we are that far apart on this. Im not enraptured with the thought of Hawkins doing much in the ruck but obviously we must get more grunt in the side , the blokes brought in bring that. Its a work in progress and happy to try it out. If it proves out OK , its elevates Wests worth , if not its proves the need for that extra ruck.

As far as Byrnes or Stokes , I think they are both lucky I nearly would have gone for Schroder but just too many kids I suppose.

I think it's reasonable to make the assumption that the club accepts we need an extra ruckman. Just that Orren hasn't successfully made the transition so far.

Things just haven't gone our way in the ruck area with Otto's decision not to give us another year while Vardy and Simpson developed. Followed by both the up-n-comers succumbing to long term injuries.

As for the weekend, I don't reckon there's enough fire power in the Tiges rucks to do substantial damage. Big ask for West to carry the bulk of the load for the entire match though. Methinks Hawk may be called upon to handle the forward 50 rucks much to my chagrin.

Don't see a problem with this. His main role is to be there as back up West. Atm he not adding much more than West gives by himself and if need be be we can give Walker a go as a utility.
I have no doubt he will get many more games before the years out.

spot on :thumbsu:

I think playing the one ruck is the right way to go for us as we need another small or mid to add pace and Westy is seriously improving every week.

Good news as well with big Simpson back training at the club which could mean he may be pushing for selection by midway through the year or later.

Big O is there if worst comes to worst and we lose West through injury but so far Westy is sitting 7th in the league for average hitouts per game, 14th overall for one percenter acts (spoils, knockons, shepherds, smother's, defensive pressure etc), if he can just fix up his disposal efficiency then he can become an A grade ruckman as he already does the hard stuff but now needs to add polish to his game by taking the contested marks and kicking the goals.

I think it's reasonable to make the assumption that the club accepts we need an extra ruckman. Just that Orren hasn't successfully made the transition so far.

Things just haven't gone our way in the ruck area with Otto's decision not to give us another year while Vardy and Simpson developed. Followed by both the up-n-comers succumbing to long term injuries.

As for the weekend, I don't reckon there's enough fire power in the Tiges rucks to do substantial damage. Big ask for West to carry the bulk of the load for the entire match though. Methinks Hawk may be called upon to handle the forward 50 rucks much to my chagrin.

Its an assumption based on last year , with West being last years #2. We may well need an extra but he has now , more than once , handled it solo. (Hawk will probably help out when the ball is forward )

Now while we are struggling for grunt and form an extra mid gives us a little more chance of building our HBG's.And I'd say its also opponent dependent. I would not ask him to do it against WestCoast for instance.

People must realise that West is not a mug,he has done his time and earned this chance. This will give him confidence and hopefully he can repay it with performance.

Why drop 'O'? His game last week was decent, especially for a guy still getting used to the top level. His clearly not injured, as he is playing the 2's. Very weird decision IMO. I hope Hawkins isn't going to be thrown back into the ruck.

I actually thought his ruck work last week was OK, the major problem seemed to our mids reading him.

What is the weather meant to be like for Sunday?

That would be the only reason for us not taking Orren into the game is if it is expected to be either very windy with the Wade stand no longer there or overly wet making it of no benefit to have an tall set up

Its an assumption based on last year , with West being last years #2. We may well need an extra but he has now , more than once , handled it solo. (Hawk will probably help out when the ball is forward )

Now while we are struggling for grunt and form an extra mid gives us a little more chance of building our HBG's.And I'd say its also opponent dependent. I would not ask him to do it against WestCoast for instance.

People must realise that West is not a mug,he has done his time and earned this chance. This will give him confidence and hopefully he can repay it with performance.

I think we’re on the same page Turbo. In the best of all possible worlds two class ruckman is a given for most teams. My belief is that if the MC thought we had another big man who could compete to a reasonable standard at AFL level he’d be playing.

I’ve always rated the value of ‘A’ grade ruckman and what they can do to set-up wins. It’s one of the advantages the Blues and Eagles currently possess over the other serious contenders and an achilles heel for us.

At the risk of inflaming matters, not having one ‘A’ grader exacerbates that situation. Love what West has done and doing, but he’s no more than a very good number 2 as we speak.

Can anyone see now why I'm pushing for Walker.Should have been the rookie up grade this week.

total agreement, or Bathie.
How many AFL teams win games with only a #2 ruck? Not a fan. If West goes down with anything, so do we. We were vulnerable last week by H Mac going forward, what's wrong with our other ruck resting down back on the opposition giants? Lonergan was not up to that. Maybe our MC feels Tigers have no dangers in that area. We've been out coached wrt not tagging Mitchell, then Harvey, so hoping we pay more respect to Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Foley.

shall we start a petition to have JWalker elevated ?

Yes.

And you know how we make that petition work.

Just ask all the supporters-do you want to see Hawkins rucking?

1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 0 the answer is NOOOO.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back