Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

1deb_3_wings-20120719221442675509-300x0.jpg

May I offer a little Micky Turner perhaps…. streaming down the wings… different type players but your line prompted my brain to dig deep and pull that….

and im spent…

Go Catters
Peter Riccardi too
Massive fan Turner
Always thought Wojo would have been the ultimate winger

Fair enough, Bews is still young and inexperienced, so we can expect from him a few crap games like last night.
Sorry to very much disagree with that Fred.
One of our better players last night.
Menzel's 4 were not all Bews related.
Bews' attack and flare and defending last night was on display and noted by many. His stats were average, as always, he's no Chris Johnson yet, but his tackle count, 1%ers, and taking players on, even Yarran, is great.

Last edited:
Guthrie played a great game in a return to the midfield tonight, tagging out Judd and some great attacking runs through the middle. Haven't all those calls to put him back in defence gone silent recently :p
You can thank me for that Seeds, I mentioned to Guthrie + Scott last week that he's better in the midfield ;)

Very good game overall. Blicavs, Guthrie, Caddy and Murdoch were good, among others. Selwood got tagged out of the match, so it was good to see some of the others step up a bit. Curnow gave him a very hard tag. But we can't get too carried away by the result - it was against Carlton. They were poor, and have been for the whole season.
We need to build some momentum and just play some good, solid consistent footy - whether it's in a win loss or draw. Definitely a positive result overall tonight, we just need to keep it up.
Judging from this season's results so far, we are a middle of the road side at the moment. We get belted by the top handful of sides (sometimes we can stick with them for a quarter or two), but we can also give the bottom sides a good shove around. West Coast in Perth will be an interesting game. I feel they are a medium-level side, maybe on the slightly higher end of that group. If our tall forwards can fire, we should be in with a big chance to snag the four points (obviously with Mackenzie and Mitch Brown injured).
Great summary.
My only ?? is the highlighted. I prefer the notion that it would be nice if we did, but given our list, I think it is a bonus when we win well, and just to get a win is a great thing. Our young players can easily get blown away by the faster, bigger, stronger top 4-6 teams, and then as you say, we are def in that middle tier, 7-12.
Playing good consistent footy is what all top teams aspire to, but we just do not have the right mix to expect that yet. Getting back Mackie, Kelly will help- competition for spots is really beneficial.
Getting game time into Gregson, Bews, Lang, Thurlow, Murdoch, Stanley, Cockatoo, Kolo, Blicavs , and watching their improvement is the highlight for me. Winning is going to be elusive. Next week will tell us a lot. WC is def a team that could take our spot in the 8 this year.
Caddy, Murdoch, Guthrie, Clark, Hawkins and Motlop have huge responsibility this year. Their form determines the modus operandi of our team in many ways, imho.

Last edited:
Not now he's not. He's finished and is complete rubbish. Guthrie made him look like an old man.

Screw him.
MM said in an ideal week, they wouldn't have played him this week, 2 consec Etihad games. Injuries necessitated that.
Don't know if he is finished yet, but he certainly is not able to be managed the way they would like.
Early in the week, they thought Kreuzer, Henderson, Simpson would all return- only Simpson did, and missing Jamison- their backline is so shabby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is the double LIKE button. Now can someone please tell me what we gained from playing Mackie and Kelly tonight , one out and Kolo in ...especially against that rabble. Didn't we discuss playing kid v the muck previously? Rivers played well.. good player but all the noise say he has a Carlton knee... get games into him when we can.
But, but, but, Kelly played a ripper! Super quick return from his nasty injury, makes me think he has balls of steel ;) There are so many puns! Kelly is such a tough nut, no wonder Carlton dropped dick :p

"Modern" as in "2004-2012", I suppose. But yes, not any more. One year too long.
I would argue that Judd is as finished as Bartel is- concussions galore, speed of the game, knee...

Both can still contribute something on their day, and Judd finished off 2014 really well. They should not be expected to carry their teams any more, and evidently, they don't.

I t
If Stanley and blitz can improve their timing at centre bounces then we should win more hit-outs as they both have loads of spring, but tend to jump early.

Both were good today. Feels like a lifetime ago I was watching Hmac shuffling around.
I think they are forced to jump early else the bigger bodied ruck men will block their run and beat them body on body. Jumping early they win some but also reduce opposition effective taps.

I would argue that Judd is as finished as Bartel is- concussions galore, speed of the game, knee...

Both can still contribute something on their day, and Judd finished off 2014 really well. They should not be expected to carry their teams any more, and evidently, they don't.
Judd was a ripper wish he had played for us,worn out now but that's what happens when you give your all,his body would be screaming at the end of games.

Bartel was seventh in the B&F last year and was one of our few shining lights in his only full game this year. He's been out with injuries (both collision, not soft-tissue) all year. He's versatile, Judd is not. He kicks goals, Judd doesn't. He could easily find a role as a designated sub for a year or two, Judd couldn't. He's played 20+ games every year for a decade, Judd has had several years that have been severely hampered by injuries and has to be managed through his (multiple) chronic complaints. Bartel plays a role where he can be effective having 15 or less disposals, Judd doesn't.

I really don't see a comparison.

Bartel was seventh in the B&F last year and was one of our few shining lights in his only full game this year. He's been out with injuries (both collision, not soft-tissue) all year. He's versatile, Judd is not. He kicks goals, Judd doesn't. He could easily find a role as a designated sub for a year or two, Judd couldn't. He's played 20+ games every year for a decade, Judd has had several years that have been severely hampered by injuries and has to be managed through his (multiple) chronic complaints. Bartel plays a role where he can be effective having 15 or less disposals, Judd doesn't.

I really don't see a comparison.
Very persuasive and factual, as usual..
Same draft, same age, both ex MF, both can still contribute. Bartel last year was not mooted for retirement, Judd was, I agree.
Judd can do more than what you have stated there.
7 Brownlow votes in 12 games last year.
He is def near the end, but imo, so is Bartel, but he did have a good start apart from the knee, concussion- would not surprise me OR upset me if BOTH retired end 2015. Differing reasons.

Last edited:
Very persuasive and factual, as usual..
Same draft, same age, both ex MF, both can still contribute. Bartel last year was not mooted for retirement, Judd was, I agree.
Judd can do more than what you have stated there.
7 Brownlow votes in 12 games last year.
He is def near the end, but imo, so is Bartel, but he did have a good start apart from the knee, concussion- would not surprise me OR upset me if BOTH retired end 2015. Differing reasons.

Yeah, but I guess you could compare Judd to Joel Corey and Bartel to Chapman. I think history will underrate Corey's contribution to three premierships and to Geelong in general during his tenure, compared to Ling/Chapman/Enright and Chapman could afford a longer twilight than Corey, because the only way Corey could earn his keep was if he was getting 20+ disposals a game and taking a midfield spot, where you've almost always got good players waiting in the wings. Bartel is unlikely to ever be as consistently good up forward as Chapman is/was, but he has the additional string to his bow of being able to go back as well. If you were filling out a starting 18, Bartel's magnet could easily go in any of 13 places on the board. Judd is pretty much restricted to 5.

And the other thing is Bartel has never really relied on elite (at AFL standard) athletic gifts, whereas Judd, in his prime, was a freak in that regard.

Yeah, but I guess you could compare Judd to Joel Corey and Bartel to Chapman. I think history will underrate Corey's contribution to three premierships and to Geelong in general during his tenure, compared to Ling/Chapman/Enright and Chapman could afford a longer twilight than Corey, because the only way Corey could earn his keep was if he was getting 20+ disposals a game and taking a midfield spot, where you've almost always got good players waiting in the wings. Bartel is unlikely to ever be as consistently good up forward as Chapman is/was, but he has the additional string to his bow of being able to go back as well. If you were filling out a starting 18, Bartel's magnet could easily go in any of 13 places on the board. Judd is pretty much restricted to 5.

And the other thing is Bartel has never really relied on elite (at AFL standard) athletic gifts, whereas Judd, in his prime, was a freak in that regard.

I don't think veedubs was comparing careers.
Just where they are now.

Judd has been pushed into a year too many.

But you can't compare them. Judd then daylight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back