Game Day AFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Geelong Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I suspect we might get trounced and there could be a few meltdowns on here. But I'm going out on a limb there.

I am admiring the positivity in the predictions here.
Allow me to now sh%t all over it.

Cats by 10 goals.

I find this game depressingly brings into focus how badly we have failed in our "rebuild" since 2011. Cats win the flag that year.. here we are in 2016 and Cats are favorites for the flag whilst we are bottom 4 material.

Taken from the cats board, here's the least experienced 6 players from each team and their number of games played:

Collingwood:
De Goey (24)
Moore (17)
Maynard (15)
Cox (4)
Smith (4)
Crocker (2)

Geelong:
Horlin-Smith (39)
Menzel (29)
Lang (28)
Kersten (26)
Bews (25)
Gregson (25)

Taken from the cats board, here's the least experienced 6 players from each team and their number of games played:

Collingwood:
De Goey (24)
Moore (17)
Maynard (15)
Cox (4)
Smith (4)
Crocker (2)

Geelong:
Horlin-Smith (39)
Menzel (29)
Lang (28)
Kersten (26)
Bews (25)
Gregson (25)
Exceptional by the cats. Average age of the squads is almost identical yet they have a much more experienced bottom 6. Really building we'll into their new window.

I have discovered a vital stat for today's game....
The most direct route from Simonds stadium by automobile is 77km to the MCG....However, this is where it gets interesting ladies and gentlemen....If you decide make the trek by foot via the federation trail it will take approximately 16 hours, 41 minutes.
So, I'm hoping that if the Geelong players decide to walk to the game and either:
a. They get to the game feeling very tired, or
b. They don't get to the MCG until tomorrow and we get the 4 points by forfeit!

Game day.

Today will be my second game of the season attended, first being the crazy 1 point win over Richmond.

Not an easy game by all means, but a win today would be simply mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we win today you need to go to the rest of the games this season including grand final. If we lose, you need to go to every game this year because I'd take 50/50 from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here you go fellas.

If this gets up drinks on me at the pub post match ;)

7637c266c397464a26f78e8facddb476.jpg

The game is on at 10.30am at the Aussie Sports Bar in Luang Prabang, Laos. First game I will have seen in 3 weeks so I hope the boys acquit themselves admirably or at least tolerably well. Glad Reid is back in because our defence needs the touch of class he provides. Williams is another who is becoming a long term out - when is he due back? Geelong are in 2nd spot so the game will provide a good indication of where we are at as a team. It is going to be difficult watching the game without alcohol support. I could have a beer I suppose but I drink enough of it later in the day and evening without adding to my tally in the morning. In the close heat that congregated under the bar's inadequately shaded laser-lite roof, I watched the Swans beat the Hawks this afternoon, and we downed a couple of bottles of Beer Lao each followed by a few more at dinner. With any luck the boys won't get me too anxious or angry and I will be able to watch in relative comfort, substituting a mango shake for the beer.
Have you been to vang vieng? Im sure its lost its aura of a few years ago now but i loved that place.........i think....i was pretty drunk the whole time i was there!

I don't expect a win, heck I probably don't even expect us to get within 3 goals, but I just want to see that we can be competitive with a top side for a period of time.

Our midfield really should be able to keep us within touch, we really aren't missing much in the middle so if we can't at least break even today something's wrong.

The problem is at both ends, our forward line is really a makeshift group, while our backline is similar.

Their backline scares me really, nearly all over 30 years old, they just dominate sides at times.

Collingwood:
De Goey (24)
Moore (17)
Maynard (15)
Cox (4)
Smith (4)
Crocker (2)

Geelong:
Horlin-Smith (39)
Menzel (29)
Lang (28)
Kersten (26)
Bews (25)
Gregson (25)

Jeebus. Our most experienced has played less games than their least experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back