Game Day AFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Geelong Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong obviously the clear favourites here. Don't expect we'll go anywhere close to beating them. If we can play with intensity and with a coherent structure and gameplan, I'll be satisfied for this week..

Here's to a win obviously
But I will be happy if I see intent for 4 quarters and we are given a glimpse that the Buckley game plan works against true quality opposition
We saw them fight above their weight for two quarters here in the West against the Flat track bullies

Make us believe you are going in the right direction boys

Remember in the pre-season match and we were whatever it was down and booted 10 goals in the third (?). Don't write us off if we can switch on. Expecting us to not click until the second or third when everyone thinks the game is already lost.

I have a 100% record for match attendances this year it'll continue today ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things come into it for me. Midfield match-ups, specifically who we look to shut down, and our setup behind the ball.

With those two elements implemented well it'll be a tight contest, but if we don't get it right in those two areas Geelong will do it on their ear. To my tip:

Geelong by about 6 goals.

I believe we'll see them kick a lot of hopscotch style goals and hit the short options Brisbane refused to even look for when we give them leg rope. Here's to me being wrong, but I have limited faith in how we'll approach things today...

Oh and I should probably elaborate on the midfield match-ups.

Greenwood - Guthrie
Crisp - Motlop

With Dangerfield in support I don't think you can sit on Selwood and restrict him out of the game. Guthrie on the other hand with a tight run with I think you can keep him to 10-15.

Geelong score with every 2.75 possessions Motlop accumulates. The only players that have better ratios are KPF's (Kennedy, Waite, Franklin and Hawkins) who naturally win less of the ball plus Heeney and Stevie Johnson. Motlop is the most dangerous player they have and if he gets 20+ we can't win, IMO.

Oh and I should probably elaborate on the midfield match-ups.

Greenwood - Guthrie
Crisp - Motlop

With Dangerfield in support I don't think you can sit on Selwood and restrict him out of the game. Guthrie on the other hand with a tight run with I think you can keep him to 10-15.

Geelong score with every 2.75 possessions Motlop accumulates. The only players that have better ratios are KPF's (Kennedy, Waite, Franklin and Hawkins) who naturally win less of the ball plus Heeney and Stevie Johnson. Motlop is the most dangerous player they have and if he gets 20+ we can't win, IMO.

I reckon the only person I know that likes to use stats to prove a point as much you Sco, is Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the only person I know that likes to use stats to prove a point as much you Sco, is Buckley.

You could well be right! Maybe I should look for a gig on his coaching panel next year when it's cleaned out? He might finally have someone working with him that can use the word no hah.

I don't expect a win, heck I probably don't even expect us to get within 3 goals, but I just want to see that we can be competitive with a top side for a period of time.

Our midfield really should be able to keep us within touch, we really aren't missing much in the middle so if we can't at least break even today something's wrong.

The problem is at both ends, our forward line is really a makeshift group, while our backline is similar.

Their backline scares me really, nearly all over 30 years old, they just dominate sides at times.

Agree mattys123 I be happy to lose IF we are Competitive

Are you sure thats right?, so if he gets 25 touches, Geelong only score 9 times.
I was slightly confused by that too. Maybe it's to do with direct score involvements, so it would be 9 goals with his involvement plus others he had nothing to do with

Are you sure thats right?, so if he gets 25 touches, Geelong only score 9 times.

Nah. So he contributes to a score not the total score.

It's what makes having a good shutdown defender so important because the best KPF's go at about 2-1 and why we need to develop Moore's ability to find the ball not to mention get Cloke back in the seniors because even within poor start to the season he was going at 11 and 5...

Edit: initially misread your post.

Scratch my earlier reply I reckon Ross Lyon has me covered. He's so deep in the stats that he watches a computer screen in game not the match!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back