Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes and how was that side yesterday going to play fast football?
1.Turner
2.Young
3. McKay

4.Ford
5.Phillips
6.Taylor
7.Xerri
8.Ziebell

9.Archer
10.Simpkin.

The highlighted are cooked.
Are you going to drip feed the rest of the cooked list or rip the Band-Aid off. CCJ, PC and their ilk…

Love your posting around here but have a query after reading your posts regarding this a few times.

Worth noting that I've spent no time looking into the game plan with vs without Clarko and how they've played out, but a question:

How do you explain the success at VFL level? They're implementing the same style at both levels, and yet at AFL level we're horrific and at VFL level it's working great.

Considering the amount of injuries we've copped as a club, our VFL team is batting well above where I would think we should.
Good question Souup, one I admittedly don't have a clear cut answer for, given I don't watch enough of the VFL boys.

Strength of opposition, personnel, difference in opposition forward half pressure, difference in opposition defending all probably contribute, but I'll happily defer to someone that watches the VFL closer.

On his first day meeting North's young players, Clarko said this:

“We’re searching for players that can play in an AFL premiership team.

“There’s a lot of blokes capable of playing league footy and there’s a lot of them that will get that opportunity – they can play, but can they play at the highest level on the last day in September and be part of a team that holds the silverware at the end of the day.”

So after nearly a season of trials, how many has he got? For mine:

LDU
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Larkey
Logue
Zurhaar
Simpkin
Thomas
Scott

Its possible that Phillips, Powell, Goater, Curtis, Bergman and Comben join them. Is there anyone else?

So somewhere between a quarter and third of a contending squad.

If this season has achieved little else, I would say the papers have been stamped on a fair few others over the past couple months.

“There’s a lot of blokes capable of playing league footy and there’s a lot of them that will get that opportunity – they can play, but can they play at the highest level on the last day in September and be part of a team that holds the silverware at the end of the day.”

LDU
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Larkey
Logue
Zurhaar
Simpkin
Thomas
Scott

Its possible that Phillips, Powell, Goater, Curtis, Bergman and Comben join them. Is there anyone else?

If this season has achieved little else, I would say the papers have been stamped on a fair few others over the past couple months.

You’d hope the stamp has been busy.

We tanked then. We have absolutely tanked.
I reckon there's a very thin line between tanking on one hand, and on the other, giving cooked veterans farewell games and giving honest battlers one last chance to prove they have AFL standard qualities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate of mine reckons he watched sundays game and said we tanked
May have tanked at selection but the guys were trying to win it in the last quarter. Unfortunately we're just shit and they couldn't get over the line against a piss poor team. There was no tanking on game day and moving Sheez forward confirms this.

Mate of mine reckons he watched sundays game and said we tanked

I don't buy this.

Losing the game didn't net us the #1 pick; all it did was draw further attention to how poorly we're tracking and embarrassed and demoralised the club further than it already has been the last few years.

In order for it to have been a successful tank, we need to have been confident that West Coast win another game for the remainder of the season which is more likely not to happen.

Last edited:
I don't buy this.

Losing the game didn't net us the #1 pick; all it did was draw further attention to how poorly we're tracking and embarrassed the club further then it already has been the last few years.

In order for it to have been a successful tank, we need to have been confident that West Coast need to win another game for the remainder of the season which is more likely not to happen.
Yeah I don't buy it either. It's actually a cop out to say we tanked, because in actual fact we just weren't good enough to beat West Coast.

To me the playing group thought they were going to just win. This was evident in the first Q. They then put the foot down in Q2 which showed that when we want to be, we are the superior side. Q3 it was almost as if the group thought that they were home and could just sit back and enjoy a W, which didn't happen. Q4 the margin was too big and it's as though they realised they need to actually try and win, but ultimately was too late.

The contrasts in effort across each of the four quarters, paints the purest picture of the endemic issues at the football club.

LDU
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Larkey
Logue
Zurhaar
Simpkin
Thomas
Scott

We have lost 17 in a row. Won 11 in 4 years

At the moment there are probably 2 players capable of playing September, Sheezel and Wardlaw, the rest can't play between March and August let alone September

We tanked then. We have absolutely tanked.
Tanking implies that your are trying to improve change your ladder position for some kind of benefit.

Yesterday had no bearing on our ladder position. We are still second last and it would need to be a miracle for West Coast to win another game or their percentage improve enough or our drop enough for us to finish last.

Anyone that put that performance down to tanking is looking for excuses.

What we did do was pay no respect to our opponent and decided it was more important to play guys not up to it as some kind of loyalty or farewell thing, over prioritising the win the club badly needed.

So in short they royally ****ed up!

If we tried playing fast, we'd completely blow up before half time
It might sound strange but I actually think if we played chaos ball like Richmond that we might have better results. Scrub it into space and confuse the opposition. LOL

Surely beats the consistent turnover style that we currently have mastered.

The worst thing about this side is that not only do we get beaten up on turnover, but we can’t even make opposition teams pay for theirs.

The perfect shitstorm.

Yeah I don't buy it either. It's actually a cop out to say we tanked, because in actual fact we just weren't good enough to beat West Coast.

To me the playing group thought they were going to just win. This was evident in the first Q. They then put the foot down in Q2 which showed that when we want to be, we are the superior side. Q3 it was almost as if the group thought that they were home and could just sit back and enjoy a W, which didn't happen. Q4 the margin was too big and it's as though they realised they need to actually try and win, but ultimately was too late.

The contrasts in effort across each of the four quarters, paints the purest picture of the endemic issues at the football club.
Bingo. If they were present for the whole game and approached it on its merits, we'd have won by 50

We have lost 17 in a row. Won 11 in 4 years

At the moment there are probably 2 players capable of playing September, Sheezel and Wardlaw, the rest can't play between March and August let alone September
Tad harsh on LDU.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back