Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t read the past 30 odd pages of this particular thread, so I apologise if it’s already been mentioned, but I’ve heard he absolutely went ape after the game & tore shreds off one of the captains in front of the playing group.
Thanks for the ITK. I don’t think there’s many that would be surprised. Both captains lifted mid season, but LMAC in particular couldn’t keep it up. Time for a change

Haven’t read the past 30 odd pages of this particular thread, so I apologise if it’s already been mentioned, but I’ve heard he absolutely went ape after the game & tore shreds off one of the captains in front of the playing group.
It might have been Jy.

There was a point where Xerri was down on the ground and Jy was nearby but didn't go up to him to check he was okay. I was a bit disappointed in that myself.

It might have been Jy.

There was a point where Xerri was down on the ground and Jy was nearby but didn't go up to him to check he was okay. I was a bit disappointed in that myself.
The other captain.

And sounds like that was his last game as captain…

You never ever want to hear this stuff but for so bloody long this team has accepted where it currently sits and did not want to fight.

Clarko will turn the joint upside down if he has to. He wants the players to be on the podium. They need to be reminded that the AFL is still a cutthroat industry.

It might have been Jy.

Can you give me a time frame. I have nothing but the entire pre-season to fuel my Jy and Luke hate after the ending to the season.

The other captain.

And sounds like that was his last game as captain…
Well fair enough to be honest.

Jy was our best player but I thought it was a bit shit that he didn't get to X and help him up or check he was okay.

You never ever want to hear this stuff but for so bloody long this team has accepted where it currently sits and did not want to fight.

Clarko will turn the joint upside down if he has to. He wants the players to be on the podium. They need to be reminded that the AFL is still a cutthroat industry.
****ing hope he does. Two years in and I don't think there's been enough anger from him. Cuddly bullshit needs to stop. Not sure about everyone else but in school, it was often the prick teachers that kept us in line and in whose classes we generally did the stuff we were supposed to do. Shouldn't be any different for a lazy and content playing group, lack of quality leadership be damned. Step up or **** off

Last edited:

They thoroughly deserved it.

Taking your info on face value, I'm glad the players got torn a new one. Makes much more sense than Clarko suddenly turning into someone that mollycoddles players who have demonstrated unacceptable effort.

Humiliating the captain in front of his peers doesn't sit all that well with me though. I hope there's more to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately the playing group have been known to drop their bundle after these incidents.

Me gets a feeling the Clarko is about to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'd hate to be the blokes who turn up out of condition on day 1 of pre season.

One of Clarko’s first talks to the players that was shared with supporters basically said his job is to sort the wheat from the chaff and train a side that can win silverware, and they have to decide if they will be wheat. It was said gently but firmly. That sorting can’t be done overnight, but there’s nothing in new or old Clarkson that suggests he is going to be overly sentimental about individual players until or unless he sees them as part of the solution. You can see in the farewell to Shiels how much he invests in the players who do buy in, and you can also see how ready he has always been to move on from players who don’t and/or who can get him someone else he wants.

So far he has chosen to publicly highlight X, Wardlaw, Scott and Archer repeatedly and unprompted as players he likes. I think the shortlist of players he thinks he must keep and must play is pretty short.

Not sure how we can claim the last 2 years to be a pass. We went backwards this year in every statistical indicator. That’s off the back of a horrible 2023. Keeping players that everyone complains about as being the clubs main issue hardly seems a win. We ranked last in so many key metrics it’s frightening. Clarko defenders will blame the list and the players. Absolutely the list has holes. Our major issue is no discernible game plan or style. No one on this board could honestly after 2 years under him state the style of footy north plays and why it could/would hold up in the future and signify improvement

The weird correlation drawn on here is that he has to be angry publicly and angry behind doors.
some supporters have a little bit of trouble with the ol' emotional regulation following a loss. that's not a dig, losses are hard. and they search for validation of those emotions in the pressers. which is just the worst place to look. any interview with any coach, player, bootstudder is always going to be curated nonsense not worth watching ever. they literally recieve training on how to do that. yes occasionally they themselves may slip the veil, but it's rare and not what they intend.

further to that, and i know that this isn't your point Gaso but i feel it's worth addressing, what the **** would be the point of an angry presser? Dimma tells his side to grow the **** up in his presser and they continue to spiral. achieved absolutely nothing. because it is absolutely meaningless.

Not sure how we can claim the last 2 years to be a pass. We went backwards this year in every statistical indicator. That’s off the back of a horrible 2023. Keeping players that everyone complains about as being the clubs main issue hardly seems a win. We ranked last in so many key metrics it’s frightening. Clarko defenders will blame the list and the players. Absolutely the list has holes. Our major issue is no discernible game plan or style. No one on this board could honestly after 2 years under him state the style of footy north plays and why it could/would hold up in the future and signify improvement
Game style is pretty obvious.

Pressure the opposition, move the ball quickly when we can and control it at other times.

Our major issues are some players poor skill under no pressure and the fact most of the side is very young and unable to keep up those levels of pressure for long enough. That second one will be fixed with age and I reckon the skill issue will be fixed with work around composure or list turnover.

Game style is pretty obvious.

Pressure the opposition, move the ball quickly when we can and control it at other times.

Our major issues are some players poor skill under no pressure and the fact most of the side is very young and unable to keep up those levels of pressure for long enough. That second one will be fixed with age and I reckon the skill issue will be fixed with work around composure or list turnover.
Sounds very generic. Pressure and move the ball quick when you can. I reckon 17 other teams are running with that. I would be super worried for the supporters of a team whose coach wasn’t asking his players to “pressure the other team” (we are dead last in this metric btw). Anyway seems most here are happy with the coach so who am I to argue. Personally I have been thoroughly underwhelmed. Hopefully we can start improving in a few key metrics next year to justify the goodwill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back