Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither he will be fine. Just need to have a huge preseason and scrape 8 wins together . Have Logue fit , Comben fwd Goater fit and don’t **** up this years drafting and we will be fine . Then FAs will be interested
One's tongue was firmly in one's cheek...

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We’re still too young to be setting W/L benchmarks anyway. How we play is still more important.

Eg what is better: 10 wins by 1 point and 13 losses by 100? Or 3 wins by 6 points and 20 losses by 1 point?

IMO the latter is likely better and reflects a better game style.

We’re still too young to be setting W/L benchmarks anyway. How we play is still more important.

Eg what is better: 10 wins by 1 point and 13 losses by 100? Or 3 wins by 6 points and 20 losses by 1 point?

IMO the latter is likely better and reflects a better game style.
I know it's theoretical but I'd be much more likely to tie some bricks to my feet and sink to the bottom of the lake in that second scenario

Could we take 13 losses by 100?

I would much prefer the second scenario.

fair point.

I think that either would cause significant fraying of the supporter base.

What has been largely support while we get through this bad bit is red lining into anger and exhaustion of the compounded losses.

I doubt the rusted on 17k or so will stop attending or anything like that but I would think they are probably going to become more negatively vocal at games.

fair point.

I think that either would cause significant fraying of the supporter base.

What has been largely support while we get through this bad bit is red lining into anger and exhaustion of the compounded losses.

I doubt the rusted on 17k or so will stop attending or anything like that but I would think they are probably going to become more negatively vocal at games.
I know it is tiring. Main point is we’re begging for disappointment setting W/L benchmarks.

We could probably get 10 wins next season trading out kids and picks for mid-tier experienced players. Where would that get us though?

Focus needs to be on style. Wins will take care of themselves afterwards.

Has now coached the same amount of games for NMFC as David Noble (and 9 more than Rhyce Shaw for that matter which I will include but don't think it's fair to be used as a comparison).

Clarkson W/D/L: 6-0-32
Noble W/D/L: 5-1-32
Shaw W/D/L: 10-0-19

Before someone jumps down my throat or makes more sarcastic comments about being negative/sooking/wanting sugar hits/any other thought terminating cliche, yes looking solely at the WDL record doesn't tell the entire story, and yes there are other factors to consider.

On face value though their records are pretty comparable and I know we all like a good case of recency bias but I would say the footy we played post-bye in '21 was largely better than our little purple patch this year.

Clarko has the track record and runs on the board of course but there should be alarm bells ringing if we enter the bye in 2025 having performed similar to past seasons as he will be our longest serving coach since giving Brad Scotts the boot as of round 1.
There was a patch, Brad's last game all the way to the first two of 2020 where we won 10 of 15 games, nine of those with Shaw. Then we started on the shitful path we've been on since and won one game with him.

In 2020 we won the first two games of the year then Covid interruptions happened. We had one more win that year and 2021 was poor but we finsished strongly in comparison. Then 2022 happened...

In 2023 we won the first two games of the year then the hawthorn racism allegations caused another sort of interruption to the season and we finished poorly winning one more game. 2024 was poor but we finished strongly in comparison till the last two rounds. There are some similarities there but hopefully we get some stability and 2025 isn't like 2022.

lets hope we broke that cycle tho.

His first year won 5 games with a % of 82 and his second year won 9 games with a % of 86.

So they were a fair bit better and, crucially, improved quite a bit from year 1 to year 2.
Didn't he start in 2004?

Even so 5 games and 82% isn't much better than us and I think you're stretching things to claim it is. We lost two games by less than a goal and in both cases terrible umpiring decisions in the last minute or two cost us those games.

Xerri was on a podcast recently and said Clarko basically read him the riot act last year and said do I stick with you or do I go and get Grundy?

Thankfully X convinced Clarko to back him in and he proved himself correct.

The more I listen to Clarko and the more I look at the list and acknowledge it really is a pile of dogshit.

But Clarko needs to take some responsibility for some of the selections and tactics that have us where we are.

I’d say it’s a 30-70 split over what’s wrong.

Hopefully he gets a fit and firing defence and lands a centre half forward and then let’s see what 2025 brings.

If Clarko doesn’t find his edge next year he’s not gonna be there in 12 months time. Simple as that.

Thing is, most of our players are too soft to take this statement on board. They are so accustomed to just cruising through the season with shit training, shit standards and no real consequences

Didn't he start in 2004?

Even so 5 games and 82% isn't much better than us and I think you're stretching things to claim it is. We lost two games by less than a goal and in both cases terrible umpiring decisions in the last minute or two cost us those games.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he start in 2004?

The point was more the Hawks made a big jump in his second year, so his first two years there significantly better than his first two here

Well in that spirit Brad Scott made a big jump in his first year with us.

WHY ISN’T CLARKSON AS GOOD AS SCOTT?

In what spirit? Someone posted that his first two years at Hawthorn weren't much better than his first two years here, which is demonstrably false.

Nothing more to it than that. I don't even think it's all that comparable because the Hawks had some all time greats just starting out and some very good senior players.

The point was more the Hawks made a big jump in his second year, so his first two years there significantly better than his first two here
Hardly surprising given he coached 13 games in his first year with us because of the racism saga. He won three of the 13 games he coached in his first year tho so that's the same rate of wins as five in a full season.

If he coaches enough wins before the bye next year then his second season's worth of games has been better with us (tho its unlikely to happen).

But its not really comparable. Hawthorn played finals four years before he started with them. We'd been on the bottom twice and had four different coaches over the same period. You could also point out we lost our two most important young players before he started his second season of a full rebuild.

He hasn't been any worse with us than he was at the start with Hawthorn.

I know it is tiring. Main point is we’re begging for disappointment setting W/L benchmarks.

We could probably get 10 wins next season trading out kids and picks for mid-tier experienced players. Where would that get us though?

Focus needs to be on style. Wins will take care of themselves afterwards.
I am not even setting benchmarks.
Par for us is 6 wins. Percentage above 80. Thats realistic. Thats achievable. Its baby steps for this club.

Thats 1 win every 4 weeks.

The reality of where we are at is that a 25% winning record is a tick for these shitcampaigners.

Anybody expecting more or predicting higher is setting themselves up for disappointment.
Dont do it.

In what spirit? Someone posted that his first two years at Hawthorn weren't much better than his first two years here, which is demonstrably false.

Nothing more to it than that. I don't even think it's all that comparable because the Hawks had some all time greats just starting out and some very good senior players.
Not having a crack at you.

My main point is we need to take each club where they are at. Demanding more with no concern for circumstances is not smart.

Snippets from this article:

The fulcrum for him was the COVID period when he missed 18 months because of an ACL injury, his contract ran down and the club went through an infamously protracted and messy change of coach.

Candidly, Sicily said it impacted him. “There was a bit of uncertainty, a bit of doubt,” he said. “Who’s steering the ship here? It was Clarko [Alastair Clarkson] then, and Mitch [Sam Mitchell] was going to be in charge in the future.

“How do you juggle that? It was a bit confusing. I don’t think anyone’s done a successful handover yet. We’ll wait and see if someone can.”

Sicily said Clarkson and Mitchell were philosophical chalk and cheese, but both had shaped him. “Clarko’s had a significant role in my career, and a lot of my learning about the game is from him,” he said. “He’s a brilliant teacher.”

But Mitchell’s ascent was personally timely. “I’ve found it really rejuvenating, to be honest, the change of head coach,” Sicily said. “Two different philosophies, two great coaches. One more defensively minded, one more offensive. I’ve found that really refreshing.”

Early in Mitchell’s first season, though the Hawks were languishing, Sicily signed a five-year contract extension. He said he’d always seen himself as a one-club player, and besides, after that long stretch out of the game was not sure if or when he would get back to his best.

“I didn’t have much insurance,” he said. “I was happy to sign the deal and get my head around what the club was going to look like. I was happy to be on board for that.”

Hawthorn won only 15 of Mitchell’s first 50 games as coach, none of their first five this year. It looked grim. Then someone threw a switch and the Hawks have won 14 of 18 since, and almost without anyone noticing are in the finals again.

“It’s pretty crazy,” admitted Sicily. He put it down to the trust that develops as players reach 40 or 50 games together, and the confidence that compounds from winning.

“There’s a whole lot of confidence and belief at the moment,” he said. “It’s been a pretty awesome turnaround.”

It’s not accidental, of course. “We always talk about learning quickly,” said Sicily. “Don’t make the same mistake twice.”

An early and abject thrashing from Gold Coast and a later defeat snatched from the jaws of victory against Port Adelaide were salutary. “The Gold Coast game was a fork in the road,” he said. “That was pretty embarrassing, and we didn’t want to feel like that again. And the Port game was pretty devastating.”

The fulcrum for him was the COVID period when he missed 18 months because of an ACL injury, his contract ran down and the club went through an infamously protracted and messy change of coach.

Candidly, Sicily said it impacted him. “There was a bit of uncertainty, a bit of doubt,” he said. “Who’s steering the ship here? It was Clarko [Alastair Clarkson] then, and Mitch [Sam Mitchell] was going to be in charge in the future.

“How do you juggle that? It was a bit confusing. I don’t think anyone’s done a successful handover yet. We’ll wait and see if someone can.”

Sicily said Clarkson and Mitchell were philosophical chalk and cheese, but both had shaped him. “Clarko’s had a significant role in my career, and a lot of my learning about the game is from him,” he said. “He’s a brilliant teacher.”

But Mitchell’s ascent was personally timely. “I’ve found it really rejuvenating, to be honest, the change of head coach,” Sicily said. “Two different philosophies, two great coaches. One more defensively minded, one more offensive. I’ve found that really refreshing.”

Early in Mitchell’s first season, though the Hawks were languishing, Sicily signed a five-year contract extension. He said he’d always seen himself as a one-club player, and besides, after that long stretch out of the game was not sure if or when he would get back to his best.

“I didn’t have much insurance,” he said. “I was happy to sign the deal and get my head around what the club was going to look like. I was happy to be on board for that.”

Hawthorn won only 15 of Mitchell’s first 50 games as coach, none of their first five this year. It looked grim. Then someone threw a switch and the Hawks have won 14 of 18 since, and almost without anyone noticing are in the finals again.

“It’s pretty crazy,” admitted Sicily. He put it down to the trust that develops as players reach 40 or 50 games together, and the confidence that compounds from winning.

“There’s a whole lot of confidence and belief at the moment,” he said. “It’s been a pretty awesome turnaround.”

It’s not accidental, of course. “We always talk about learning quickly,” said Sicily. “Don’t make the same mistake twice.”

An early and abject thrashing from Gold Coast and a later defeat snatched from the jaws of victory against Port Adelaide were salutary. “The Gold Coast game was a fork in the road,” he said. “That was pretty embarrassing, and we didn’t want to feel like that again. And the Port game was pretty devastating.”
Matured immensely this bloke. Used to come across as a complete flog.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We have had a few of those type of losses as well - but we have been satisfied with feeling like that over and over.

Thought clarko was pretty open and honest and hopeful.

“It’s on me” to start getting wins on the board

And how he spoke about game plan matching the list (which was something I mentioned earlier as a big question mark for me), and how it takes 3 years for coaches to get it right (him at hawthorn, Mitchell at hawthorn, fagan at lions).

He certainly not shying away from expectations for wins in 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back