Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's Dimma, Bevo, Simmo and now Fagan. Even McRae worked under him for a year.
It's a hell of a record
Brisbane finally win a GF under Fagan after 8 years including his first 2 years of finishing 18th and 15th. Surely Clarko needs at least 1-2 more years to turn things around seeing as 2024 was his first full year of coaching .Naturally we wont make the gains that Brisbane did from 2019 but l'm expecting better than what has been on display so far...

18th in 2017
15th in 2018
2nd in 2019
2nd in 2020
4th in 2021
6th in 2022
2nd in 2023
5th in 2024 + Grand Final winner

Brisbane finally win a GF under Fagan after 8 years including his first 2 years of finishing 18th and 15th. Surely Clarko needs at least 1-2 more years to turn things around seeing as 2024 was his first full year of coaching .Naturally we wont make the gains that Brisbane did from 2019 but l'm expecting better than what has been on display so far...

* 18th in 2017 (T)
15th in 2018
2nd in 2019
2nd in 2020
4th in 2021
6th in 2022
2nd in 2023
FIFY

1727519430950.png

Just get us competitive mate, ffs

It's Step 1 - be better than mediocre.

In 2018 they only won 5 games under Fagan. But their percentage was 89.1. They lost their first 8, but thereafter went 5-8. Winning three games by 50+ and only losing one by 50+ (to us!) and winning two against a Top 4 team

And after that fairly mediocre run they win a flag SIX years later.

We approached a mediocre run but fell well short. 3-9 in the back half of the year with three 70+ losses and no wins against finalists is less than mediocre.

So, IF 2025 is our mediocre year then 2031 is our year.

We are MILES off.

18th in 2017
15th in 2018
2nd in 2019
2nd in 2020
4th in 2021
6th in 2022
2nd in 2023
Clarko's proven he can develop players and coaches.
I look at it as an 8 year process, taking over from rock bottom. It took Melbourne 8 years from their utter hopelessness in 2013, and Brisbane 8 years from their very worst in 2016.
Melbourne had 3 players who played in the flag from their 2013 list (Gawn, McDonald and Viney). Plus 2 who missed out Jones and Jetta.
Brisbane also had 3 survivors from 2016 in their side today (Lester, Zorko and Andrews). Plus Gardiner who missed out.

Our rock bottom was 2022, but the clusterf*** caused by the aftermath of the Egan report has damaged him and set us back. Clarko likely won't see out the full 8 year build, but I'm confident he'll have us on the right track when hands over the reins.
If we follow the path Melbourne and Brisbane took, we enter a window from 2027/28 and win it in 2030.
The main concern is whether Brady, Clayton and the list management team, will be as competent as Jason Taylor and Dom Ambrosio are.

Clarko's proven he can develop players and coaches.
I look at it as an 8 year process, taking over from rock bottom. It took Melbourne 8 years from their utter hopelessness in 2013, and Brisbane 8 years from their very worst in 2016.
Melbourne had 3 players who played in the flag from their 2013 list (Gawn, McDonald and Viney). Plus 2 who missed out Jones and Jetta.
Brisbane also had 3 survivors from 2016 in their side today (Lester, Zorko and Andrews). Plus Gardiner who missed out.

Our rock bottom was 2022, but the clusterf*** caused by the aftermath of the Egan report has damaged him and set us back. Clarko likely won't see out the full 8 year build, but I'm confident he'll have us on the right track when hands over the reins.
If we follow the path Melbourne and Brisbane took, we enter a window from 2027/28 and win it in 2030.
The main concern is whether Brady, Clayton and the list management team, will be as competent as Jason Taylor and Dom Ambrosio are.

The Melbourne rebuild to 2021 was the model before today. They hit Ground Zero in 2013 winning 2 games with a percentage of 54. By 2015 they won an ordinary 7 with a percentage of 77, the next year they were around the 8 and in 2018 they made a Preliminary Final.

The Melbourne 2013 team had Viney, McDonald and Gawn but no other 2021 Premiership players. By 2015 they had those three plus only Salem, Brayshaw and Neal-Bullen. But in 2016, when they were close-ish to playing finals they'd added Petracca, Oliver, Spargo and Harmes.

By 2018, they had Gawn, Petracca, Salem, Oliver and Brayshaw in the midfield and by being OK-ish from 2016 they were able to add Lever, May from other clubs in key position roles. Guys like Jordan Lewis, Heritia Lamumba, Jake Melksham and Bernie Vince gave short-term experience and Nathan Jones is retained as a leader.

So for us we might identify 2022 as Ground Zero. That team has LDU, Xerri, Larkey and Simpkin as maybe to only long-term 'stars' (Viney, Gawn). By 2024, Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher and Duursma are in (Salem, Brayshaw Neal-Bullen). In 2025, short-term experience is added - Parker, Darling. So that's where we hope to be next year for a 2031 Premiership - Melbourne in 2015 (7 wins and percentage of 77). Prelim in 2028, contending in 2031.

So to place that timeline on the Lions. Eight years from Ground Zero to Premiership takes us to 2016. The Lions of 2016 had Zorko, Hipwood, Andrews and Lester who played today - that's all. Two years on they'd added McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Cameron, Starcevich and Bailey. But Luke Hodge, Grant Birchall, Dayne Beams and Allen Christensen came from premiership teams for short-term leadership (plus Ryan Bastinac, Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker, Stefan Martin who were able to hold a competitive place). Being OK-ish attracted Daniher, Ah Chee, Dunkley and Neale. They get lucky with Ashcroft and Fletcher and are smart with other picks.

So, for us again. We have LDU, Xerri, Larkey and Simpkin. We add Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher and Duursma. Add in short-term place holders in Parker and Darling. Being OK-ish brings in more talent. We hope for some luck, canny drafting and maintain patience and stability. Ride some disappointment and growing pains. And hopefully 2031-ish is our year.

The Melbourne rebuild to 2021 was the model before today. They hit Ground Zero in 2013 winning 2 games with a percentage of 54. By 2015 they won an ordinary 7 with a percentage of 77, the next year they were around the 8 and in 2018 they made a Preliminary Final.

The Melbourne 2013 team had Viney, McDonald and Gawn but no other 2021 Premiership players. By 2015 they had those three plus only Salem, Brayshaw and Neal-Bullen. But in 2016, when they were close-ish to playing finals they'd added Petracca, Oliver, Spargo and Harmes.

By 2018, they had Gawn, Petracca, Salem, Oliver and Brayshaw in the midfield and by being OK-ish from 2016 they were able to add Lever, May from other clubs in key position roles. Guys like Jordan Lewis, Heritia Lamumba, Jake Melksham and Bernie Vince gave short-term experience and Nathan Jones is retained as a leader.

So for us we might identify 2022 as Ground Zero. That team has LDU, Xerri, Larkey and Simpkin as maybe to only long-term 'stars' (Viney, Gawn). By 2024, Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher and Duursma are in (Salem, Brayshaw Neal-Bullen). In 2025, short-term experience is added - Parker, Darling. So that's where we hope to be next year for a 2031 Premiership - Melbourne in 2015 (7 wins and percentage of 77). Prelim in 2028, contending in 2031.

So to place that timeline on the Lions. Eight years from Ground Zero to Premiership takes us to 2016. The Lions of 2016 had Zorko, Hipwood, Andrews and Lester who played today - that's all. Two years on they'd added McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Cameron, Starcevich and Bailey. But Luke Hodge, Grant Birchall, Dayne Beams and Allen Christensen came from premiership teams for short-term leadership (plus Ryan Bastinac, Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker, Stefan Martin who were able to hold a competitive place). Being OK-ish attracted Daniher, Ah Chee, Dunkley and Neale. They get lucky with Ashcroft and Fletcher and are smart with other picks.

So, for us again. We have LDU, Xerri, Larkey and Simpkin. We add Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher and Duursma. Add in short-term place holders in Parker and Darling. Being OK-ish brings in more talent. We hope for some luck, canny drafting and maintain patience and stability. Ride some disappointment and growing pains. And hopefully 2031-ish is our year.
Ahh damn I missed Hipwood being there in 16!

Good analysis of how both built their lists. Dees and Lions both managed to begin their builds with a small group that contained multiple leaders. Two premiership captains in Gawn and Andrews and two former captains in Zorko and Viney.
They then managed to hit 2 or 3 picks at the following drafts and became an attractive prospect for established players about 3 years post rock bottom. The template is there for us

I'm actually hopeful our 22 side had a better base than 13 Dees and 16 Lions.
There's the main 4 you mentioned, but I reckon Chom, Jacko, PC, Powell and hopefully Goater can be there in 2030/31.

Whose in charge on controlling this bloke in 2025?

My way or the highway. Out of control.

That’s the narrative I’ve heard again today.
The buck stops with Clarko so I can understand the need to take control of the rabble in front of him. He may not be our next premiership coach but I think he’s the leader we need right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whose in charge on controlling this bloke in 2025?

My way or the highway. Out of control.

That’s the narrative I’ve heard again today.
Did you hear this at the breakfast?

Fwiw I fully believe it. Hodgey said this is his style of doing it, and that he needs pretty close checking.

I guess Todd would be the guy, but maybe he's tired, itching to get back to the farm etc. and has let the lead go a bit loose.

Ahh damn I missed Hipwood being there in 16!

Good analysis of how both built their lists. Dees and Lions both managed to begin their builds with a small group that contained multiple leaders. Two premiership captains in Gawn and Andrews and two former captains in Zorko and Viney.
They then managed to hit 2 or 3 picks at the following drafts and became an attractive prospect for established players about 3 years post rock bottom. The template is there for us

I'm actually hopeful our 22 side had a better base than 13 Dees and 16 Lions.
There's the main 4 you mentioned, but I reckon Chom, Jacko, PC, Powell and hopefully Goater can be there in 2030/31.

Leaders. Therein lies the rub.

Who's our 2013 Gawn or Viney? Who's our Nathan Jones? Or Daniel Rich or Tom Rockliff?

Who is setting the standard from here? As for Gawn and Viney for us it's LDU, Larkey or Simpkin. Who do you trust? Simpkin is the co-captain now. LDU is the best player, Larkey the highest profile. Leadership is only evident those immersed in it, so I can't say, but from the outside I'd say plant your flag in the ground now. LDU it's you. Unfortunately, you don't have the Rich or Jones to support you. LMac, I love your club history and passion for us. But you aren't playing in our 2031 assault and you aren't good enough for this assignment. You need to step aside.

Luke Parker and Jack Darling. You will never be NMFC premiership players. But if you bring the professionalism and leadership like Luke Hodge, Grant Birchall and Jordan Lewis did you will have a place in our history. Sadly, like Lewis, Hodge and Birchall it will go largely unacknowledged. IF it ever gets rewarded.

Anyone else more fascinated by the year ahead than anything else? This is a team with some great talent that hasn't shown what it has sans that now-exhausted ad nauseam post-bye period, which I think could absolutely be our baseline if various (non-talent-related) things were different.

The pathway before us is now more unique and less linear than basically every rebuild before it. We have an embarrassment of top 5 picks (with potentially another on the way), and plenty of players who have shown that they can be serviceable, but often fall apart without a nucleus to hold them together. And that's the great thing about being mind-bogglingly shit with our list, is that the whole is much, much less than the sum of its parts. Meaning that once you find a way to hold the whole together, suddenly 90% of inhibitions are gone and you find yourself shooting up the ladder. If we're on a dead end path that leads straight into a river, a few paths over to the left is the path that crosses the river and climbs up to the top of the footy mountain. It's not miles away (if you want miles away, go check out Melbourne's list in 2013, holy hell) it's simply there, out of reach for the moment. I believe we're as likely to get 11 wins next year as we are 2. The only thing is, it's a compulsive habit at this point to ignore the bush-bashing required to switch paths, and instead sprint towards the river, jump in, and be swept away into shitness. Then we get out at the end of the season, walk back, rinse and repeat.

Now feels like a great time to me for a coach to get stuck into the North restoration project. Treat it like an old dilapidated classic car that you want to see purring smoothly on the roads again. I'm not going in with any expectations, because they've literally been beaten out of me, but it's a team with the bare tools to deliver 17 or so weeks of exciting footy. Comben, Larkey, Simpkin, LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Xerri, Logue, Corr, Scott, Fisher, Curtis, Archer, Ford, Zurhaar, Duursma, W/Kawson, all are capable of forming a solid unit together. Specially if we land Parker (and frankly, I wouldn't be against Houston either, even at a steep price).

Make it happen Euge, or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back