An offer he can't refuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Cripps! Carlton would be regretting all those salary dumps they have taken

Him or Connor Rozee :). "Connor, here's $1m/y for the next 8 years. You don't even need to move house."

Imagine the lols of snaring either Rozee or Cripps, with Power and Blues fans and acuqiring an A Class elite mid. Quintessential killing two birds with one stone.

Unfortunately while we're digging our way out - paying out contracts for coaches/players that haven't worked out - and riding things out, gathering youngsters who will hopefully be good one day...

Any good younger player we have (Doedee, Fogarty, the end) might look at things and say why spend a few years of my career while these guys try to get things back on track? Which they may not have the ability to do anyway
I think what will be a very important step is to give guys like these 2, and hopefully Jones/McHenry, ownership of the side. Make it theirs so they invest in it.

The good news is that even start up clubs and perennial basketcase clubs have been able to attract players with the almighty dollar

So we're a chance, despite it all

No way is the Sloane contract silly, right now we need leaders like Sloane for the development of the younger players. Sloane, Tex and Tals are so important to our rebuild it can't be understated. The last thing you want is a leaderless rebuild like Carlton and Melbourne of the last decade and just flounder around at he bottom. We need to be smart on our picks, have good leaders and ruthless with the list. We've started with the Ruthless, I'd like another couple of strong leaders, but we need more from the picks, next couple will be telling.
100% need him this year, next year and at a pinch in 2022.
I'm saying is that 2023 season there is no guarantee he will be able to play and going that long doesn't look great right now.

I'm saying is that 2023 season there is no guarantee he will be able to play and going that long doesn't look great right now.
22 I reckon he hands the captaincy over to someone else.

Do you really believe that JR makes that call? It’s a List Management committee decision on whether the keep a player, how much they’re prepared to pay and for how long. JR just plugs it into the spreadsheet and does the negoti with the player’s agent and updates the committee throughout the process. Andrew Fagan, the CFO, Roo, Pyke, Burton and Reid are the group that make the decisions and then Reid goes and does the bidding. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?
So you are saying the decisions are made by;

Fagan - no Football knowledge at all
Smart - Dumb
Roo - Dumb
Pyke - compromised
Burton - Dumb

and then Reid does the negotiating (which he sucks at).

No wonder we are so screwed.

So you are saying the decisions are made by;

Fagan - no Football knowledge at all
Smart - Dumb
Roo - Dumb
Pyke - compromised
Burton - Dumb

and then Reid does the negotiating (which he sucks at).

No wonder we are so screwed.

Not Smart, the CFO. This guy

1592450062610.png

SHANE SMALLACOMBE Appointed to role of Company Secretary August 2014 Current position: Chief Financial Officer and Company Secretary Current committees:  Finance & Audit  List Management  Football Strategy

Not Smart, the CFO. This guy

View attachment 894438

SHANE SMALLACOMBE Appointed to role of Company Secretary August 2014 Current position: Chief Financial Officer and Company Secretary Current committees:  Finance & Audit  List Management  Football Strategy
Wait, what? What the F@!& does Smart do then?
Is this the bloke who has to actually do the job that Smart is meant to do?

There's almost a valid spin off thread developing from this that's worth discussing in itself

Do we need to target one or two 28-29 year olds to come in and be our senior leaders, to fill the void that's there currently? Then to morph from there into a coaching/development role.

Hodge Brisbane, Mitchell West Coast, Hardwick Port, Lewis Melbourne. Not all work out of course but it doesn't seem like standards are being set by our senior players. They are having their own battle to regain form, retain their place in the team. They can't be too worried about the kids coming through.

There's almost a valid spin off thread developing from this that's worth discussing in itself

Do we need to target one or two 28-29 year olds to come in and be our senior leaders, to fill the void that's there currently? Then to morph from there into a coaching/development role.

Hodge Brisbane, Mitchell West Coast, Hardwick Port, Lewis Melbourne. Not all work out of course but it doesn't seem like standards are being set by our senior players. They are having their own battle to regain form, retain their place in the team. They can't be too worried about the kids coming through.
This will be year 3 outside the 8. Don't think there's ever been a 4th. Results suggest it may go to 5 (perhaps beyond).

I expect that they'll try every trick in the book to get back to being competitive.

I like the idea, but who ??

Shannon Hurns name was brought up, he would be a bit too old but it's not the worst idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, what? What the F@!& does Smart do then?
Is this the bloke who has to actually do the job that Smart is meant to do?

He's the financial controller. Smart might be on the footy committees, hard to know as it's not disclosed. You can assume the footy dept guys head coach, head of footy and list manager would be on them. Hard to know if anyone else is.

Smart is chief operating officer, not sure what he does, but whatever it is he earns a fair whack as do the rest of the executive. We have a chief commercial officer, which must be different to COO. No idea what the GM of Strategy and Projects does, but it must be important given the approximate salary package. Is it possible to believe that Shuttleworth deserves $400k/year. We spend a further $9m in the admin area, so that's 90 staff at $100k package. Total wage costs of $32m, footy dept cap and player cap loosely $20m. We spend a lot of money on wages doing things in support of the footy dept, but not actually within the footy dept. Sponsorship and corp box revenue combine to $22m, it's fair to say that money spent earning that is worthwhile. I would guess that we're not Robinson Crusoe here, but rather it shows how bloated these organisations have allowed themselves to become. If we stripped it back to focussing just on the football, sponsorship and game day revenues, would we be spending $12m in admin employee costs?

A Fagan Chief Executive Officer

S Smallacombe Chief Financial Officer

N Smart Chief Operating Officer

D Johnston Chief Commercial Officer

I Shuttleworth General Manager, Media & Communications

N McArdle General Manager, Strategy & Projects

C Wood General Manager, People, Performance & Culture

$3,144,239 = $450k each, or $400k each with Fagan on $750k or $350k each with Fages on a cool $million

So you take the risk he will be captaining the SANFL side in '23, I'm sure it's a front loaded contract. I'll wear that easily to get him across the line.

Shaun Burgoyne
Quite possible, but I'd be staggered if Hawthorn haven't already organised it.

I don't even think you'd need Shaun to play..... But having him in a development role would be enormous

I think 28-29 is a bit too young. I'd be looking at a 30+ year old that could fill a role for 1-2 years and head straight into coaching.

This player would also need to be in a position where we don't have a ton of young talent needing AFL games. That could possibly be half forward or back pocket? Third tall forward? Wing?

A few have suggested Shannon Hurn and I think that would be a really enticing option. Maybe Easton Wood or even having a crack at Scott Pendlebury

I like the idea, but who ??

Shannon Hurns name was brought up, he would be a bit too old but it's not the worst idea.
Hurn would be gold.

Scott Pendlebury
Callan Ward
Ben Cunnington
Shane Edwards
Dane Rampe
Luke Parker
Luke Shuey

I think 28-29 is a bit too young. I'd be looking at a 30+ year old that could fill a role for 1-2 years and head straight into coaching.

This player would also need to be in a position where we don't have a ton of young talent needing AFL games. That could possibly be half forward or back pocket? Third tall forward? Wing?

A few have suggested Shannon Hurn and I think that would be a really enticing option. Maybe Easton Wood or even having a crack at Scott Pendlebury

Callan Ward another one.

Edit: beaten. Maybe add Sidebottom to the list

Hurn would be gold.

Scott Pendlebury
Callan Ward
Ben Cunnington
Shane Edwards
Dane Rampe
Luke Parker
Luke Shuey
I was going to bring up Edwards, when's he OOC ??

Cunnington yep, he wouldn't say much but when he speaks you listen. Pendles will have his whole life at Collingwood.

I was going to bring up Edwards, when's he OOC ??

Cunnington yep, he wouldn't say much but when he speaks you listen. Pendles will have his whole life at Collingwood.
I wouldn't have thought Hodge or Mitchell would have left Hawthorn

Hurn would be gold.

Scott Pendlebury
Callan Ward
Ben Cunnington
Shane Edwards
Dane Rampe
Luke Parker
Luke Shuey

Parker is too young. He'd be taking up a pure midfield role for at least 3 seasons. Cunnington would be plonked directly into the inside midfield as well as he has no other position, I think he would hurt our development like keeping Thommo a few extra years. I don't think Rampe would be right either.

Ward a possibility, I really rate his leadership. Shuey a maybe.

I wouldn't have thought Hodge or Mitchell would have left Hawthorn
I did think that after I wrote it.

I'd like us to try just for the Eddie LOLs.

The issue we have is we are not only near the bottom of the actual ladder, we are bottom of the destination ladder.

To get one of these types, particularly the non SA guys, would take something remarkable.

Remove this Banner Ad

An offer he can't refuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back