An offer he can't refuse

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with this. We need to do things in the right order -

1. Coach signings. Get a strong team together that makes us look respectable in the football department, and identify a player who can transition to a coach, from a good program. Bunga Hurn seems ideal.
2. Choose some midlevel talent that are EARLY in their career and getable. We don't want to be North Melb and just publicly chase players we don't get. We want Hately, MAYBE Caldwell, Graham, Valente, Coleman-Jones.
3. Fix the Admin. I don't think this impacts player decisions that much, but it's obviously a problem. Hire Craig Vozzo as CEO and get a new chair. Roo should probably be just in media - I like that he visibly backs the club, but mostly it just seems conflicted now.
4. Identify one or two tradable pieces. Laird, Lynch, Seedsman, etc. Let some out of contract players go for salary room, such as Atkins. Negotiate a payout for Gibbs and release him.
5. Draft well, and early. Three picks before the bid on Edwards should be the plan.

WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Do we need to target one or two 28-29 year olds to come in and be our senior leaders, to fill the void that's there currently? Then to morph from there into a coaching/development role.

Hodge Brisbane, Mitchell West Coast, Hardwick Port, Lewis Melbourne. Not all work out of course but it doesn't seem like standards are being set by our senior players. They are having their own battle to regain form, retain their place in the team. They can't be too worried about the kids coming through.

Priority #1 - where's our Luke Hodge? The on-field assistant coach can only come from the premiership winners of the last ten years., or special players. I want to canvass the top premiership players of the last ten years and find out who wants to coach.

I would accept:
Joel Selwood
Josh P Kennedy
Liam Shiels
Andrew Gaff
Shannon Hurn
Luke Shuey
Scott Pendlebury

Unfortunately while we're digging our way out - paying out contracts for coaches/players that haven't worked out - and riding things out, gathering youngsters who will hopefully be good one day...

Any good younger player we have (Doedee, Fogarty, the end) might look at things and say why spend a few years of my career while these guys try to get things back on track? Which they may not have the ability to do anyway

We need to identify the players we want to keep early - Doedee, Fog, etc. - and take them aside and explain the plan. Hell, us having a plan will be a novelty for them. We can walk them through the draft hand we have. The players we're going to target. These guys are smart - they'll put two and two together.

Most of all I want to see the shockwaves. The Crows are offering Taranto what?! Hurn's moving home for an assistant coaching position what?

We should be making noise immediately, starting fires, getting people nervous.

Attachments

• 1592452521257.png
    1592452521257.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 65
WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Priority #1 - where's our Luke Hodge? The on-field assistant coach can only come from the premiership winners of the last ten years., or special players. I want to canvass the top premiership players of the last ten years and find out who wants to coach.

I would accept:
Joel Selwood
Josh P Kennedy
Liam Shiels
Andrew Gaff
Shannon Hurn
Luke Shuey
Scott Pendlebury

Hurn would be a very good addition off field and gettable given he is from SA originally.

Cannot see Selwood, Kennedy or Pendles not first being offered and off field role at their Club.

I agree we need to wait for this ambush until 2022 we need two full years of low draft picks to get elite talent on to the list first before we start handing over 1st rounders to other clubs so we can pair them with 'the million dollar man'

I read people saying we won't have the money to chase elite talent. How is it that other clubs are able to drive a semitrailer load of cash up to the door of a Lever, McGovern, Cameron, Keath, Davis (okay, pass on Davis) and others if we can't? Apart from Mr Bust Gibbs, we have rarely traded in recent years and when we do its for 2nd raters. Do we need Visy to come onboard?

I read people saying we won't have the money to chase elite talent. How is it that other clubs are able to drive a semitrailer load of cash up to the door of a Lever, McGovern, Cameron, Keath, Davis (okay, pass on Davis) and others if we can't? Apart from Mr Bust Gibbs, we have rarely traded in recent years and when we do its for 2nd raters. Do we need Visy to come onboard?
We overpaid hacks who don't deserve it.

One thing I want our Club to do that it has never done. If a player wants to leave to another team, let him. But do not under any circumstances except unders.

This IMO has been the biggest downfall of the AFC. Accepting unders for any player that leaves us.

One thing I want our Club to do that it has never done. If a player wants to leave to another team, let him. But do not under any circumstances except unders.

This IMO has been the biggest downfall of the AFC. Accepting unders for any player that leaves us.
Except Jake Lever and Charlie Cameron

We spread the money and use the Geelong's "system".......this doesn't work anymore.

We've never had cap space before because we've always seen ourselves as in Finals Mode.

Brimming with talent therefore paid accordingly. Salary cap bursting at the seams.

This is the first time we've acknowledged that we're off the pace. Should surely affect our payscale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've never had cap space before because we've always seen ourselves as in Finals Mode.

Brimming with talent therefore paid accordingly. Salary cap bursting at the seams.

This is the first time we've acknowledged that we're off the pace. Should surely affect our payscale

There is no way we're anywhere but the salary cap floor right now. You don't shed what would have been 2ish million dollars of salary in one off-season (spitballing, but there is no way Betts, Jacobs and Jenkins weren't well paid) without being there.

For me, Hately stands out as a need, especially if we're going to make the decision (or be forced into it) that its better for B.Crouch to take FA. Other than that, maybe another kid who has struggled for an opportunity but is talented, though, I can't think of any examples that aren't GWS based.

Not Smart, the CFO. This guy

View attachment 894438

SHANE SMALLACOMBE Appointed to role of Company Secretary August 2014 Current position: Chief Financial Officer and Company Secretary Current committees:  Finance & Audit  List Management  Football Strategy
He looks like he comes from a good family 🤣

We got so burnt by the Tippett experience, we completely lost our nerve when other players decided to look at other offers. Dangerfield was a year-long disaster, Lever and McGovern tore the place down, and Betts/Jenkins/Sloane/Lynch left us with unsustainable contracts.

Next player who speculates about leaving we should just get on the front foot, accept that they may choose to leave and name our price. We could have taken the wind out of the sails if we just said:

"Dangerfield is a required player and we have a very good contract in front of him, but if he chooses to play elsewhere, we expect his new club to provide us with an appropriate trade given the quality player he is"

"Lever is a required player and we have a very good contract in front of him, but if he chooses to play elsewhere, we expect his new club to provide us with an appropriate trade given the quality player he is"

"Charlie is a required player and we have a very good contract in front of him, but if he chooses to play elsewhere, we expect his new club to provide us with an appropriate trade given the quality player he is"

"Mitch is a required player and we have a very good contract in front of him, but if he chooses to play elsewhere, we expect his new club to provide us with an appropriate trade given the quality player he is"

Remove this Banner Ad

An offer he can't refuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back