Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Eagles match Polac and Gaff contract status is then the same.

Thats the point North supporters continue to ignor.
The minimum contract length is 2 years for a free agency bid.
Is it then possible to offer say 3.4mil over 2 years. then 12 months into the contract extend to the original deal?
im pretty sure gaff would get that his first 2 years anyways with our front loading.
these free agency rules seem to have more glitch's than an 80's video game.
legit question no chest beating idk.

Is it then possible to offer say 3.4mil over 2 years. then 12 months into the contract extend to the original deal?
im pretty sure gaff would get that his first 2 years anyways with our front loading.

I vaugley recall something like that happening but can't remember how it panned out or if that 'glitch' was fixed by the AFL.

The current free agency model is far from perfect and the AFL know it.

I'd almost guarantee if they wanted Preuss they'd get him cheaply, and not just because of the Gaff stuff. From all accounts we really don't rate him that highly.

But, if they think they can land English in the next couple of years, then a cheap stopgap like Roughead makes a lot more sense than Preuss.

What?? We rate Preuss highly. Dunno what "reports" you've heard.
He's just unlucky goldy had a return to form and rucks alone all day like a machine.

What we should look at is trading our compo pick to North. The only reason North want a first round pick is to trade for Polec. Surely Polec for 17 isn't unreasonable.

North get Gaff as a FA, we get pick 17 or whatever as compo.

WC: 17, 20, 35.
North: 10, 28, 39, 53.

WC get: 10, Preuss
NM get: 17, 35

17 for Polec, 28 + 35 on its own is possibly enough to bid on Tarryn Thomas (~pick 13 to 14), picks 39 and 53 free to use in the draft.

This is brilliant. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I feel you'd be short changing yourself tho.

Wouldn't mind the Gaffer over at the Hawks....Where he to accept a little less, for the chance to play for a big club & a Premiership....I reckon a little less will do it for that opportunity.
I think Shane Crawford & Roughie are using the same lines to entice T Lynch to the club. For some reason can't see T Lynch wearing a Hawks guernsey.

The whole point of paying Gaff 1.2m is we get him for free, instead of his actual market rate.

How are you still not getting this? No wonder WA is a fiscal basketcase, no one in that state has any concept of worth.
How can people still not understand this? It's common sense!

So basically the only reasons why North will still trade if West Coast match are:

- We promised Gaff and it's bad player management if we don't ruin our list management plans just to get him
- North haven't landed a big player so they really need to!
- North have to otherwise their fans will get teased on big footy.

West Coast match = North walk. It's really as simple as that. There is a reason why Gaff has a big offer on the table. It's to convince him to knock back West Coast's offer. North are paying a premium in an effort to price West Coast out.

Welcome to free agency West Coast. Go speak to Hawthorn fans so they can help with the grief. They had to deal with a similar scenario with Buddy.

Last edited:
How can people still not understand this? It's common sense!

So basically the only reasons why North will still trade if West Coast match are:

- We promised Gaff and it's bad player management if we don't ruin our list management plans just to get him
- North haven't landed a big player so they really need to!
- North have to otherwise their fans will get teased on big footy.

West Coast match = North walk. It's really as simple as that. There is a reason why Gaff has a big offer on the table. It's to convince him to knock back West Coast's offer. North are paying a premium in an effort to price West Coast out.

Welcome to free agency West Coast. Go speak to Hawthorn fans so they can help with the grief. They had to deal with a similar scenario with Buddy.
With Nic Nats next contract likely to be a lot less and Lycett possibly leaving means it probably would not be to difficult to up our offer. If it is purely based on Gaffs will to get home i think even he would like his former club to get a reasonable deal.

With Nic Nats next contract likely to be a lot less and Lycett possibly leaving means it probably would not be to difficult to up our offer. If it is purely based on Gaffs will to get home i think even he would like his former club to get a reasonable deal.
I don't care where or if West Coast can round up the money to match North's bid. The fact remains that North have an offer that is more than West Coast's. The balls in Gaff's court. He can either let West Coast know he wants to return to Victoria and to not bother upping their offer or he can let them know he wants more money. If it's the latter the ball is in West Coast's court - do they think he's worth it or do they say "thanks for your years of service but we can't afford to/don't think it's worth it and best of luck".

North are not going to offer a million plus and cough up draft picks - it's fanciful. List managers are experts not big footy draft and trade speculators.

The Hawks did something similar with Vickery, initially offered him 3 years, then it was changed to 2 years for the same money giving Richmond a better compo pick or something like that - I think the AFL looked at it, but didn’t do anything about in the end.

what you’ve written is all in your head. It’s very imaginative but it shows you’re way to emotionally invested in this already.
It’s time to switch off the radio put the papers down.. if you keep going at this rate your brain will be scrambled before the start of trade week.

Think long and hard..
Gaff may or may not leave west coast..
If he comes to North, great.
If he doesn’t, we’re in the same position. How does that hurt north?

That was clearly explained.

Other neutral posters concur.

If you are happy for Norths to totally run a root on getting quality players knock yourself out. Enjoy missing finals for years to come.:):thumbsu:

The Hawks did something similar with Vickery, initially offered him 3 years, then it was changed to 2 years for the same money giving Richmond a better compo pick or something like that - I think the AFL looked at it, but didn’t do anything about in the end.

Yep thats the one I didn't recall.

Not quite the scenario raised.

I don't care where or if West Coast can round up the money to match North's bid. The fact remains that North have an offer that is more than West Coast's. The balls in Gaff's court. He can either let West Coast know he wants to return to Victoria and to not bother upping their offer or he can let them know he wants more money. If it's the latter the ball is in West Coast's court - do they think he's worth it or do they say "thanks for your years of service but we can't afford to/don't think it's worth it and best of luck".

North are not going to offer a million plus and cough up draft picks - it's fanciful. List managers are experts not big footy draft and trade speculators.

If like you say Gaff indicates he wants to move to Melbourne even if you offer the same coin why wouldnt the Eagles match and force a trade?

If Norths back away with their tail between their legs then Gaff talks to other clubs who are willing to trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is brilliant. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I feel you'd be short changing yourself tho.

Glad someone can think outside the box.

The only hitch here is the compo pick likely wont be 17 unless the Eagles drop out in straight sets.

The question is what will Port accept for Polac? 17.......20?

Id be satisfied with 17 plus 35 for 10 plus Preuss.

It basically means we get pick 10 for Gaff and pay 35 for Preuss.

Still massive unders for Gaff but at least its a mid first not a late first.

Port likely has its eyes on the two SA kids (Hately and Rozee) , I doubt they would become a willing partner in a deal where we trade 11 but not to them. I also expect the Polec deal will be agreed in principle before Gaff can even accept an offer.

Hypothetically, if you did match and we didn't want to trade, do you think any other clubs would be able to beat your compo via trade and also pay Gaff $1.2m per?

Are you a list manager or a bigfooty draft and trade speculator?

Port likely has its eyes on the two SA kids (Hately and Rozee) , I doubt they would become a willing partner in a deal where we trade 11 but not to them. I also expect the Polec deal will be agreed in principle before Gaff can even accept an offer.

Hypothetically, if you did match and we didn't want to trade, do you think any other clubs would be able to beat your compo via trade and also pay Gaff $1.2m per?

Depends on the club.

Chances are they wouldn' offer $1.2 but maybe $1 to win the bidding war.

Hence the previous post wondering if there was another scenario agree where his salary dropped if they had to trade.

As for beating the compo pick.........that is easy. North could do it and still pay $1.2 and come out miles ahead.

The player managers will be out there trying to insert one of their own into the deal, the more the merrier for these guys/parasites.

I hope Gaff stays at West Coast, I feel like he owes you guys after his little brain fade

Depends on the club.

Chances are they wouldn' offer $1.2 but maybe $1 to win the bidding war.

Hence the previous post wondering if there was another scenario agree where his salary dropped if they had to trade.

As for beating the compo pick.........that is easy. North could do it and still pay $1.2 and come out miles ahead.

Do you honestly think Gaff is going to leave $200k+ a year on the table so you can get a slightly better draft pick?

If he accepts our offer, whether you match or not, he's surely not going to then accept a smaller contract elsewhere. You'll either have to find a team that will give you a decent trade and also pay him $1.2m, or he'll walk to the draft.

I expect if you match then he'll be playing at West Coast next year.

Glad someone can think outside the box.

The only hitch here is the compo pick likely wont be 17 unless the Eagles drop out in straight sets.

The question is what will Port accept for Polac? 17.......20?

Id be satisfied with 17 plus 35 for 10 plus Preuss.

It basically means we get pick 10 for Gaff and pay 35 for Preuss.

Still massive unders for Gaff but at least its a mid first not a late first.
I think this would work for all concerned.

As long as the AFL gives the Preuss + 10 for Gaff compo and 35 the tick

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back