Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is brilliant. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I feel you'd be short changing yourself tho.

A lot of it comes down to points. They are arbitrary but if we do a handshake deal and try to swap 2,000 points for 500 I doubt the AFL will approve it.

Hawthorn and St Kilda swapped picks 10 and 68 for picks 23, 36 and a future first round pick. That was 1454 points for potentially 2,302 (ended up being 2,961) so there is some wiggle room, but that involved Gold Coast and another trade that period. We don't 'need' a top 10 pick AFAIK. If you include players it muddies the waters a bit. There's no rule to say you can't value Preuss at pick 97 or whatever. Teams do token trades for fringe players each year. It's not like including LDU (last year's pick 4) and trying to pass off that you don't rate him.

RE: Polec, if he went into the draft I would expect him to last until pick 17. Good player but with a $7-800k price on his head I think most teams would let him go.

Except Port. Unless West Coast shit the bed, that compo pick is going to be in the 20s.
Port will take a first. They might have a big sook but they'll take it

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Do you honestly think Gaff is going to leave $200k+ a year on the table so you can get a slightly better draft pick?

If he accepts our offer, whether you match or not, he's surely not going to then accept a smaller contract elsewhere. You'll either have to find a team that will give you a decent trade and also pay him $1.2m, or he'll walk to the draft.

I expect if you match then he'll be playing at West Coast next year.

Did Dangerfield get top dollar at Geelong?

No he didn't. He got to where he wanted to go for less and the Crows got a better deal than one compo pick.

So if Gaff says I'm moving even if you match you expect the Eagles to roll over and accept pick 22 just so Gaff can pocket $200k pa more?

Like really?

The Eagles will do what is best for them. If that means Gaff doesn't get silly money as a fa then so be it.

And some on here say I am dreaming.

I think this would work for all concerned.

As long as the AFL gives the Preuss + 10 for Gaff compo and 35 the tick

Preuss is the steak knives in the deal which isn't a stretch. A ruck who played VFL all this season who wants opportunity.

North turn pick 10 into two picks, one to trade the other to use themselves.

It's a pretty decent deal for North. Port and Eagles would want more but clubs losing players rarely get what they want.

Of course Port would want pick 10 but really that is overs for Polac and everyone knows that.

Did Dangerfield get top dollar at Geelong?

No he didn't. He got to where he wanted to go for less and the Crows got a better deal than one compo pick.

Three key points of difference:

1) He was never going to accept a move elsewhere
2) Geelong had the means to facilitate a trade. We don't because our first rounder this year and next year will be tied up
3) Geelong were paying him a pretty reasonable salary. We're not, hence not trading

So if Gaff says I'm moving even if you match you expect the Eagles to roll over and accept pick 22 just so Gaff can pocket $200k pa more?

Like really?

I don't expect anything, I just think you coming up with scenarios where other clubs are going to trade for Gaff is not that realistic.

If you match I expect he will be playing for you next year for $1.2m, or he will be draft-bound. Just an opinion though, neither of us is looking at this objectively.

Three key points of difference:

1) He was never going to accept a move elsewhere
2) Geelong had the means to facilitate a trade. We don't because our first rounder this year and next year will be tied up
3) Geelong were paying him a pretty reasonable salary. We're not, hence not trading

I don't expect anything, I just think you coming up with scenarios where other clubs are going to trade for Gaff is not that realistic.

If you match I expect he will be playing for you next year for $1.2m, or he will be draft-bound. Just an opinion though, neither of us is looking at this objectively.

Others on here including Norths posters don't agree.

Will just need to wait and see.

I can see Gaff moving as a fa but only if a separate deal is agreed to satisfy the Eagles.

We will trade 2019 first round with something coming back if we get Shiel for Pick 1 with something coming back
Interesting to see what your priority is this year and Fischer would be thereabout right.

Others on here including Norths posters don't agree.

Will just need to wait and see.

I can see Gaff moving as a fa but only if a separate deal is agreed to satisfy the Eagles.

Why do you think West Coast will match if they haven't already?

Reliable source: Gaff has told North he's committing to the club immediately after the WCE finals.

Am aware that similar reports have been out for a while, but given my source (whom I'm obvs not going to reveal) this is now as good as confirmed as far as I'm concerned.

Fine for skeptics to doubt as they see fit. Most of the NMFC board knows I don't drop stuff like this often but have some good contacts whom I share info from occasionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reliable source: Gaff has told North he's committing to the club immediately after the WCE finals.

Am aware that similar reports have been out for a while, but given my source (whom I'm obvs not going to reveal) this is now as good as confirmed as far as I'm concerned.

Fine for skeptics to doubt as they see fit. Most of the NMFC board knows I don't drop stuff like this often but have some good contacts whom I share info from occasionally.
Yeah can confirm, true.

This just seems like a North/West Coast slugfest, there are 3 other clubs have put in offers for him verbally to his management.
And been rejected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back