Andrew McGrath Rising Star Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPP never had a chance, he's a West Australian playing in SA.

Welcome to the VFL, where the Herald Sun and Fox Footy run the game.
Seven of the last nine winners were from interstate clubs...

But yeah, keep pushing that argument when you have clowns like Tredrea clearly pushing their own agenda's :rolleyes:

Yeah SPP totally should have won despite being 7th in the AFL in total clangers whilst averaging a paltry 17 touches a game :drunk:

Gets punished a lot for taking on the game when maybe sometimes he shouldn't, in time when he has developed a bit more of a brain for the highest level that will come out of his game. I'd rather the clangers at this point of his game than a guy with his frame and abilities being a shrinking violet afraid to make mistakes in his first year.

And this is the problem. When tredrea picks the only kid he knows. The best way to make this award legit is to give the umpires or the coaches or the players themselves the vote.

Yes, game-day coaches or umpires would be greatly preferable over the current mess. At least you can be sure they've watched the games they are voting on.

Youre suggesting Essendon are fortunate to make the 8

They had better record

Yes I think I said that. 1.5 wins better. I didn't say they were fortunate to make the 8, so don't put words in my mouth. In fact, I said they were unfortunate not to make the top 4 if they are so much better than us, which is what the comment I was responding to suggested. 1.5 wins is not a massive margin, especially when you consider they had by far the easier draw, as a result of finishing bottom compared to Hawthorn who finished top 8.

Rest is BS

Yes, your post added nothing, we can agree on that.

Not overly upset about Burton not winning but definitely a real head scratcher, more so than previous years IMO...

Burton averaged more disposals, marks, tackles, inside 50s, rebound 50s, intercepts, score involvements and metres gained.
quality not quantity

yeah I'll take your word for it. You probably think Orazio's better than Betts and Heppell's better than Dusty.
you probably think Melbourne will one day make the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people really give a shit about this pissant award?
it's bigfooty mate. people give a shit if an ex-Essendon player wins $1.50 on a scratchy. cos, you know.... tha drugs!

The Judges were Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Sheehan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Andrew Dillon, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.
Not like many of them have a historical bias towards Essendon.

not many of them demand much respect though tbh.

Like others, i find it perplexing that not one judge gave Burton 5 votes..............

when 17 reporters from AFL.com judged the award during the week... the results were:

Ryan Burton:
4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 5, 4, 4 (77 votes)

Andrew McGrath:
5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3, 5, 5 (67)

And CrownBet had Burton as a $1.40 hot favourite on Monday. Andrew McGrath, was at $3.25, Not exactly close!

Fair enough that some Hawks supporters are annoyed, and some non-hawks supporters are surprised.

Well done to McGrath.

I also thought the vote deserved to be close. Shame it wasn't.

In the last three weeks the "Essendon Mafia" in the media have been explicitly campaigning. Okay if they believe McGrath was the best, but their predictions were normally expressed as a no-contest outcome. It stunk of desperation and was annoying.

So after 17 reporters and 11 judges voted, 28 total voters, McGrath 118 votes, Burton 118 votes, but Hawk supporters think Burton has been screwed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back