Autopsy Autopsy vs Collingwood aka the Great Pain Robbery

Remove this Banner Ad

Super proud of the team today. Youngest list in the comp by a fair distance and we torch the reigning premiers for three quarters. Unfortunately, inexperience, fatigued and some of the most shitful umpiring I've ever seen gets us.

However, under Clarko we led by 6 goals against WC last year and won by 5. We led Freo by 4 goals with 6mins to play and hung on by a point. We had Sydney, Essendon and St.Kilda on the ropes and lost. We led Freo this year by six goal and a quarter later were beaten, led WC last week by 6 goals and lost the lead and now today.

I get it. Be patient. It will turn. But if they are learning to hold winning positions, profound or otherwise, the progress in that area is hard to see.
A month ago, progress, full stop was hard to see.

Terrible terrible umpiring but it also must be said we were diabolical as it got closer to the end. The whole honourable loss thing can absolutely * off. Standards are in the bin if thats the take. This is a game we should have won comfortably.

I can't help but feel this is more demoralising for the players than a 8 goal loss as now, no matter how much of a winning margin we get, they will just crumble under the pressure. Just pathetic. A win would have undone a bit of this year's hurt but alas they find new ways to dissapoint.
I think Coach Bombay you are being a tad harsh, we are all gutted to the point of, well there are a few words, numb, sick, and in a way, disbelief that we actually crushed them to be able to get 54 points up {the reining premier and champs}, to lose, not really surprising, think its normal for a bottom side that stuns a premiership contender and opens a big lead to fall away in the last quarter with all the momentum running with the pies, we did fight back to reclaim the lead and were coming again at the finish.

Why I say that is because we are still babies in knowing what to do at this stage of our playing ability and personnel. We have to remember how many games we've won in the last five years, I've said before we are going to see glimpses of how good we are going to be but not yet, the finished product is far from finished and while we lost and it hurts like hell, the coaches are slowly getting us there. Yes we beat West Coast last week but see the same thing happened, we improved at least another 25% to be able to destroy the pies early but we really don't know how to win and what to do when the opposition get a run on like that but then again Collingwood have done this to better teams than us.

Its about learning and belief and experience that will enable us to be a force we haven't seen for over twenty years. One last thing I would like to mention on a very hard day is that as much as we are feeling like this, x that by about 100 and I think you'll find how our players feel at the moment, to our boys, hold your head up high I say and don't be afraid to cry, or whatever you may feel, you made us so proud with the dare, poise and effort you displayed today, like with Rocky Balboa in Rocky 1 when he was fighting through the grades and got beat for the title, he got beat because he wasn't ready but that experience proved invaluable to the next step, eye of the tiger baby, eye of the tiger, we are coming and when we announce to the football world we're a force, there are going to be a lot of negative talk from opposition supporters, stay the course, and we're home free!

Because of our dire few years my main source of footy entertainment these days is playing fantasy.

Guess what I also just lost by 1 point this week.

nZ9bUPAC59_tBSsNT42JWXirW2M=.gif

Positive..Willphil
That first half
The youngsters are gunna be all right

Negatives :

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Moore handballing a kick in and getting a second chance ahhhhhhhh that's a ball up, wtf.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Add
only 2 free kicks…
And not being able to get back in control…
And

It sucks yes.
Progress yes….and this might be the spark that begins the journey up…..
We move on…

You say that it will burn. How many of these losses over last 15 years? Pretty much back to the * 69pt game. Different players, different coaches, different decades...same thing just keeps happening.
We are very slow learners!
15 years? Half of them just got out of nappies.

3 hours since full time and it hurts more then ever. Extremely proud of the effort and the 3 quarter performance.

Can’t help but worry how much of a negative impact that brutal loss will have on the club. We were so close to not just a win, however in my opinion a club changing win.

The north end was electric, late in the 3rd quarter I have not seen it like that in 10+ years.

Terrible terrible umpiring but it also must be said we were diabolical as it got closer to the end. The whole honourable loss thing can absolutely * off. Standards are in the bin if thats the take. This is a game we should have won comfortably.

I can't help but feel this is more demoralising for the players than a 8 goal loss as now, no matter how much of a winning margin we get, they will just crumble under the pressure. Just pathetic. A win would have undone a bit of this year's hurt but alas they find new ways to dissapoint.
In reference to your second paragraph, couldn’t agree more. I hear this, “but we will lock in the first pick, next year we’ll explode” crap and it shits me.
We’ve been picking up elite kids and we’re no better, all they are is good players that don’t know how to win. Just as winning becomes infectious, so to does losing.
Other clubs look at us and know full well, they’re never out of game against us, we’re the worlds greatest chokers.
Winning is the only way we’re going to improve and no amount of No 1s is going to change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where we lack leadership someone needs to take control in the middle lock on make every contest a 50/50 unfortunately we don’t have that someone out on the field at the moment
I'm hoping Wardlaw becomes that guy. The great teams, the premiership teams, all had someone that could do that. A hard contested player that could just dig in and halt any opposition momentum. Someone like Voss, Cousins, Selwood, Hodge, etc. It absolutely comes with experience though and we just lack that at the moment, and the fitness base as well

In years to come, this loss will be pointed to as the catalyst for ‘I will never allow us to lose like this again’.

Disappointed in the result. Exuberant at the 3/4 effort.

We are on the right path, stick fat.
Hopefully you are correct games like this can either make us or break us . An ex coach said that once.

That campaigner Gerard Healy “he looked like he was going to play on”. I’ve got a couple of people where given the opportunity, I go and piss on their graves. I might bump the schedule up a bit for this campaigner.
How annoying were Healy and Huddo especially. They could take a leaf out of Will Schofields book and actually comment on the game without blatantly wishing for us to lose. Drove me nuts.

Maybe I’m all emotional but I cant remember being so angry after a game . Umpires or not , you don’t blow a 9 goal lead , ever . It’s not acceptable . We can’t as a club be accepting of this , it’s a loser mentality . F*** this progress bs you can still make progress while getting the 4 points . I.WANT.WINS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back