Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

To summarise the coaching changes :

1) Pratt (Backline coach) leaves
2) Webster moves from forwards to backs
3) Knights moves from midfield to forwards
4) Shuey joins as stoppage coach
5) Schofield has his role as strategy and stoppage coach elevated to be in overall charge of the midfield
6) Horsley (Development coach of 3 years) replaces Wiley as WAFL coach
7) Brennan has some sort of role change in the development coaching ranks whilst Nicoski is no longer part of the development coaching group at all

In : Shuey
Out : Pratt, Wiley, Nicoski

That’s a net loss both in terms of numbers of personnel and coaching experience and a shuffle of roles between those who’ve remained

All up it’s a tad underwhelming and we can only hope there’s an addition or two still in the pipeline, preferably someone with a reasonable level of experience at another club(s)

Also, the last time we did a similar shuffling of line coaches was prior to the 2020 season. It didn’t work so good, although the disruption to that preseason caused by covid would have been a factor in that

Does mention at the end of the article some changes are still to follow.

"Further changes to the West Coast Eagles’ Football Department will be communicated in due course."

To me, that reads there is more to come. Seems to be left quite late with training starting next month.

The soft cap has increased for 2024 and I can't see any shift within that article that would have significantly increased our soft cap spending. Acknowledging that Mat Inness coming from the Dogs, which was announced weeks ago, is likely an increase in spending from Warren Kofoed.

If there is money to be spent:
-I would love to poach someone like Leppitsch, who is currently heavily linked with a move from the Pies to the Dogs.
- Or, what is arguably more important for us would be a development coach, someone like Luke Power. Mick Ablett was recently on SEN and said he is one of the best he has seen.

The soft cap increase for 2024 is modest (about $250k or <5% from 2023) which would struggle to cover pay rises for existing staff

News this morning re Leppitsch is that he’s staying at Collingwood

Does Shuey even know anything about stoppages?

584ee9cad3e6a51478f72cf798187a4c.jpg

This management crew just don’t seem to learn a *ing thing.

No wonder we are backward in our game plan, we are so insular.

Also just how Luke Webster is still on our coaching panel astounds me.
Now moved to the backline …. So watch that go backwards this season.

His late old man, Ron and King Nissy were good mates.

Can’t wait till we bring in a new CEO.
this is literally the definition of shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

im also not really a fan of players moving straight into a coaching role at the same club.

To summarise the coaching changes :

1) Pratt (Backline coach) leaves
2) Webster moves from forwards to backs
3) Knights moves from midfield to forwards
5) Schofield has his role as strategy and stoppage coach elevated to be in overall charge of the midfield
6) Horsley (Development coach of 3 years) replaces Wiley as WAFL coach
7) Brennan has some sort of role change in the development coaching ranks whilst Nicoski is no longer part of the development coaching group at all

In : Shuey
Out : Pratt, Wiley, Nicoski

That’s a net loss both in terms of numbers of personnel and coaching experience and a shuffle of roles between those who’ve remained

All up it’s a tad underwhelming and we can only hope there’s an addition or two still in the pipeline, preferably someone with a reasonable level of experience at another club(s)

Also, the last time we did a similar shuffling of line coaches was prior to the 2020 season. It didn’t work so good, although the disruption to that preseason caused by covid would have been a factor in that
A tad underwhelming!!

FFS it says everything.

Took too long on simmo. Decent assistants went elsewhere. Any serious contender as a future potential senior coach won't come near us while simmo still in charge.

The CEO change can't happen fast enough.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like Shuey, I like the idea of him staying at the club. Just not sure I like the fact that our approach to being one of the worst stoppage clubs in the league is by taking a player who has learnt under our previous stoppage coaches and giving him the task of turning it around in his first year in the system. Seems like someone with outside experience would be the best option, but idk maybe I'm overestimating the responsibilities of the position.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah.

Never seen him once burst out from a stoppage and hit up a FF lace out.
I think he has matured into quite a wise head. Had time in the box to analyse and to be assessed. He will fit well with a youthful midfield. I can live with it. The worst captain?? with the highest ever GF rated performance?

My issue is, "wtf does Shuey know".

He's pretty much had one coach for most of his AFL career and that game plan is now obsolete. And sure, Schoey is calling the shots, but can we grab some fresh people from successful clubs?

Nah.

Never seen him once burst out from a stoppage and hit up a FF lace out.
You can't teach that though. Hewett seems to have it. Reid probably has it. Potentially Ginbey too. The stoppage coach is more about structure and positioning. I assume the plays around this is similar to this season, so he'll know it and be able to teach it. But our gameplan will evolve as our talent gets more games into them, and as the AFL top midfields evolve and we follow. Can Shuey do this?

I like Shuey, I like the idea of him staying at the club. Just not sure I like the fact that our approach to being one of the worst stoppage clubs in the league is by taking a player who has learnt under our previous stoppage coaches and giving him the task of turning it around in his first year in the system. Seems like someone with outside experience would be the best option, but idk maybe I'm overestimating the responsibilities of the position.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I don't suppose it is possible that after playing in the middle for 14 or so years he has a few ideas of his own, is he really tied to what his coaches have told him while he was a player and can't think for himself?

I don't suppose it is possible that after playing in the middle for 14 or so years he has a few ideas of his own, is he really tied to what his coaches have told him while he was a player and can't think for himself?
He's not going to have the broad view that someone who has played and coached under multiple coaches. At this stage, he's probably just getting instruction from Schoey as to exactly what Schoey wants him to do. So the advantage is he'll be doing exactly what Schoey wants so everyone is on the same page. The disadvantage might be that he might not be able to add little tweaks that improve performance.

As an aside I thought Knights appeared so wooden speaking during a video I saw (think it was from the BnF) for somebody who was a head coach.

Then I remembered just how 'adored' he was by Bomber fans.

They hate anybody that isn’t a dyed in the wool, 5th gen Essendon person though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back