Autopsy Big Big Loss - Giants over Freo by 9 points in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's worth it, I always watch on delay now. I find it calmer. The guys played some good footy and I actually thought Banfield was fine until the 2nd half where he really cooked it. Cox was horrendous from the opening bounce. I've never seen a game where the game was lost almost purely because of two- three players.

I'll go as far to say that we win by 3 goals with Pearce over Cox. Cox was THAT bad.

I watched it. Ffs, I was imagining we played like shit based on some of the comments here.

Cox and Banners lack of brain cells cost us that game. Honestly no idea wtf was going on with Cox - even if he was injured why the hell did he keep spoiling the ball right to where their smalls/his direct opponent were waiting?? Clear the ****ing area. Gahhh.

And we had all the ascendancy in the last up until Banfield ****ed it.

Was a good game though from both sides.

It gets worse every time you watch it, you are right no block either, I think its because all he has in his brain is panic about who to give the ball to so its not him making a decision, as soon as he handballs his mind is probably just blank feeling relief.
Why not Jackson just communicate and block himself? Jackson, for all his ‘unicorn’ skills is such a slow indecisive ball burner at times. It’s like his pace just goes out the window as well. He has been so poor this season.
Banfield is a very decent kick as well. Jackson shouldn’t have asked for the ball in that position.

You'd think Amiss would be doing a fair bit of around the corner at training, especially as seeing his conventional shots have been junk. The one where he hit the post from close in, every left footer on the planet kicks that goal.
He’s been ordinary kicking for goal. Momentum killers as well when he misses. Think was against Carlton he missed directly in dront, only for the Blues to get a massive boost and score rapidly after that.

Why not Jackson just communicate and block himself? Jackson, for all his ‘unicorn’ skills is such a slow indecisive ball burner at times. It’s like his pace just goes out the window as well. He has been so poor this season.
Banfield is a very decent kick as well. Jackson shouldn’t have asked for the ball in that position.
Jackson has room temperature IQ but Banfield is supposed to be intelligent. He should know better.

As bad as Cox was I’d say he at least has a halfarsed excuse that he played on a shithot, in form, currently the best key forward in the league, he’s hardly alone there, Hogan burned lots of other key defenders

As bad as Cox was I’d say he at least has a halfarsed excuse that he played on a shithot, in form, currently the best key forward in the league, he’s hardly alone there, Hogan burned lots of other key defenders
Nah, no excuse. At one point Hogan took a mark on the wing in front of me, with Cox trailing behind him (who didn’t man the mark). Then he ran ahead of Cox and took a mark again further down the possession chain, with Cox not having put any body pressure on him the entire time. It was as if he didn’t have an opponent at all

Yeah but you have to at least try your best. Getting burnt by a better player is fine. If Cox played like that on Tabs he'd kick a bag on him too. It was woeful.

Yeah but you have to at least try your best. Getting burnt by a better player is fine. If Cox played like that on Tabs he'd kick a bag on him too. It was woeful.
That’s why I say half arsed, what I meant was it’s not embarrassing to be in that company (of players Hogan made look second rate), the embarrassing part is the effort, or should I say non-effort.

Some other players that performed poorly don’t even have that halfarsed excuse

Hmm maybe if we don't rush Pearce in 3 weeks after a broken arm against a Melbourne side with no serious tall forwards, we wouldn't have been in this predicament.

I think the most glaring thing is how badly the coach and the match committee has cooked this back half of the season. You could mount a case that all four of our last losses could have been flipped with better selections and planning.

Vs Hawthorn - Not playing Reidy to continue the 2 rucks plan after Darcy was out. Jackson has been monstered as a solo ruck all year after Round 2 or so, gets monstered by Meek in the last quarter as we can't get our hands on it particularly and that's game

Vs Essendon - Brodie coming in for Fyfe was the easiest call of the year and they whiffed it. Smashed in the clearances early, and again when it mattered.

Vs Geelong - The less said the better. What a disasterclass from a selection point of view. No Reidy. Tabs in for Darcy late. Worner sub. WTAF.

Vs GWS - More of a case of our poor planning coming back to bite us with the management of Pearce. Subbing Fyfe instead of Banners. Not moving Cox off Hogan after Hogan has 5 shots in the first quarter. Both of those decisions literally kill the game for us in the last.

Btw you might think a lot of those are hindsight calls but they really weren't

Hmm maybe if we don't rush Pearce in 3 weeks after a broken arm against a Melbourne side with no serious tall forwards, we wouldn't have been in this predicament.

I think the most glaring thing is how badly the coach and the match committee has cooked this back half of the season. You could mount a case that all four of our last losses could have been flipped with better selections and planning.

Vs Hawthorn - Not playing Reidy to continue the 2 rucks plan after Darcy was out. Jackson has been monstered as a solo ruck all year after Round 2 or so, gets monstered by Meek in the last quarter as we can't get our hands on it particularly and that's game

Vs Essendon - Brodie coming in for Fyfe was the easiest call of the year and they whiffed it. Smashed in the clearances early, and again when it mattered.

Vs Geelong - The less said the better. What a disasterclass from a selection point of view. No Reidy. Tabs in for Darcy late. Worner sub. WTAF.

Vs GWS - More of a case of our poor planning coming back to bite us with the management of Pearce. Subbing Fyfe instead of Banners. Not moving Cox off Hogan after Hogan has 5 shots in the first quarter. Both of those decisions literally kill the game for us in the last.

Vs. Essendon disagree on Brodie. Erasmus was playing fine. He didn’t need to subbed out. He’s a far superior onballer than Aish. We could have subbed someone other than Erasmus. Brodie could have been sub instead of Aish.

Agree on the rest.

Vs. Essendon disagree on Brodie. Erasmus was playing fine. He didn’t need to subbed out. He’s a far superior onballer than Aish. We could have subbed someone other than Erasmus. Brodie could have been sub instead of Aish.

Agree on the rest.

Brodie in was the right call initially.

FWIW I agree Erasmus wasn't playing too badly and was surprised at his sub. Then we see Aish come on and attending some of the centre bounces as a traffic cone during Essendon's 4 goal run without us touching it. Another match losing call by the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem isn't who we had playing on Hogan (albeit it's ridiculously naive to think it wasn't a team defence job anyways), it's more the fact Hogan wasn't playing for us.

To me, one of the key indicators of a players quality is how they stand up in big games when it really matters. As it’s the added pressure that really tests a person.
We had two players that could genuinely hold their heads up on the weekend. Probably another 2 or 3 that were ‘competitive’ and that’s it. This was the type of game where Fyfe needed to lift, but he is only a contributor now, not a match winner. It’s such a shame he can’t play forward.
Jackson is another who should’ve shown that he’s a cut above the rest, but it’s just not there (yet) and clearly by any metric, does not contribute enough to win a game.
We don’t have the quality when it matters under pressure. And that’s a mental thing as much as a talent one.

These are reasonable and evidence based observations that really do not reflect well on the coach.

All year long I thought Reidy was a complete spud. I thought - surely if he was remotely useful at AFL level we’d have seen him by now? We all thought he must be useless.

Turns out he is actually quite serviceable! On a ruck in Briggs that simply destroyed us in 2023.

Unforgivable that he did not play before this week given the games that Darcy missed and his fitness all year. It’s 100% on the coach and he should own that selection mistake and be held accountable.

I think our performances as a whole in all those games have been pretty good... if you rate them objectively. There are some tough games in there, which by and large we, as a developing group, held our own in. It's only a moment here and there that didn't go our way that cost us. We want to be careful we don't fall too hard into the revisionist cherry picking crew. (and yes, Harry Hindsight, despite denials, is fully on board).

These are reasonable and evidence based observations that really do not reflect well on the coach.

All year long I thought Reidy was a complete spud. I thought - surely if he was remotely useful at AFL level we’d have seen him by now? We all thought he must be useless.

Turns out he is actually quite serviceable! On a ruck in Briggs that simply destroyed us in 2023.

Unforgivable that he did not play before this week given the games that Darcy missed and his fitness all year. It’s 100% on the coach and he should own that selection mistake and be held accountable.
Reidy's primary problem is he's not Jackson or Darcy. Nevertheless, going for other options over a hulking L-plater ruck against Stanley and Blicavs was, at the very least, an understandable call. Even if you don't ultimately agree with it.

Reidy certainly made sure an injured Briggs went through his paces.

Given that we got the same kind of outcome we've had the weeks previous when he wasn't in the team, it's debatable what overall difference he made...

Encouraging step for Reidy though.

Reidy's primary problem is he's not Jackson or Darcy. Nevertheless, going for other options over a hulking L-plater ruck against Stanley and Blicavs was, at the very least, an understandable call. Even if you don't ultimately agree with it.

Reidy certainly made sure an injured Briggs went through his paces.

Given that we got the same kind of outcome we've had the weeks previous when he wasn't in the team, it's debatable what overall difference he made...

Encouraging step for Reidy though.
We played Patrick bloody Voss in the ruck and made Stanley look like Stephen Michael. Of course Reidy should have played in hindsight. He should have played v Essendon too.

And Briggs wasn’t injured? He played last week. Its was a great tussle with Reidy. Briggs didnt look too injured when he was kicking that long bomb goal from 55 m out over the goal umpires head.

We played Patrick bloody Voss in the ruck and made Stanley look like Stephen Michael. Of course Reidy should have played in hindsight. He should have played v Essendon too.

And Briggs wasn’t injured? He played last week. Its was a great tussle with Reidy. Briggs didnt look too injured when he was kicking that long bomb goal from 55 m out over the goal umpires head.

Briggs missed last week but agree with the rest. How can anyone say the Tabs call over Reidy was understandable, it was crazy the moment the news broke.

Bailey Banfield has negative aura as the kids say nowadays.

Stanley could've looked like anything, but did it make that big a difference? Maybe Reidy would've had him appearing up to Polly Farmer levels...

As I said, Reidy playing against GWS was modest impact and we got very similar narrow loss outcome (with us rueing X or Y moment to take the game) as previous weeks.

Sometimes you gain in weight, but take a hit in speed.

I only agree Reidy had to come in against Geelong. Jackson has had several BOG performances in the ruck over the last two years, like, had the most coaches votes as a KPP (or closr to it) last year largely due to games playing as solo ruck.

Jackson's form since the start of this year had made the call seem worse. It'd losing Treacy as well that means Reidy has to come in because Tabs is clearly done at the level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Big Big Loss - Giants over Freo by 9 points in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back