Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't help but feel we'll always struggle to maintain a professional organisation if this is the decision making process around a potential generational talent suffering from a mild case of ennui...

Would a club have recruited Garry Ablett Snr under these deliberations? What do we have two psychologists at the club for?

That's definitely the risk, but the alternative is two of Lamb, Kerridge, Graham and Rowe. I'll take that bet if it's offered, but it was not.

Never said Will was small potatoes (assuming he's fit and ready to go), but Scully and Scrimshaw are relative to Shiel, Gaff, Beams, Lynch, etc.

We just finished last in a season in which we were expected to rise, that's what I'm referring to.

Good question, but the Hawks have bet a four year contract on him. I don't really rate whatever the Giants are doing up there in terms of training loads and injury management, because every year their list is made to look like it's full of blokes made out of chalk.

It's been made painfully clear that all Scrimshaw and Scully would have cost is a future third round pick.

6-8 wins in 2018 and I think a very different story would have unfolded, which was the point of my post.

Jim, you (Scrim)shaw need to let it go.... :)

The story was republished, and the quotes you're hinting at appear to be in tact:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-16/bargain-or-bust-question-marks-over-new-hawk

Even Eade, a renowned hard arse, is questioning the approach taken by some. There's even code words in that article for anxiety disorder.

Great that we opted not to spend pick 5 on him, but what's the problem with a future pick swap? The biggest hurdle for mine was convincing him not to go to his beloved Hawks, but it seems we trashed that idea in June after some initial conversations.

I don't see how sidestepping this bloke twice makes us a strong organisation. The fact that people here seem to talk about his issues in the same way they would for Fevola is what scares me, because there's absolutely no evidence of that.

It's the sum of the parts that will make us a strong organisation and we're simply not there yet. If I'm to be honest and objective about where we are as organisation from culture and leadership perspective, then I'd still describe us as a work in progress. I'd also put our administration and board in the same boat. The fact that we had a rookie as part of our leadership group probably demonstrates that and the fact the board still sees the need to let the skeletons out of the closet an annual basis to either woo a potential trade target with flights in a private jet or sack the CEO, etc is another example.

Once you've got a dozen or so best 22 players who've been in the system 6+ years driving expected standards then you have a better chance of dragging a wayward character like Scrimshaw along a better path. I know it sucks, but we're just not there yet.

Last edited:
Newman would be alright seeing that Jed lamb is probably our running small defender backup. He and Thomas. Schumacher still developing (but I hope he gets games). We actually do need to find a young gun running half back or two in the coming seasons. Simmo getting older. Docherty ideally rotates through the midfield and defence. Williamson with health issues. Would like a young gun wing/half back at some stage.

Shiel said no to Hawks and they moved on and went and found new targets. We're wasting our time being strung along. Don't see this as a positive.

I agree... wholeheartedly.

But if push came to shove and Shiel is potentially available at the price we were originally prepared to pay?
I'd still do it.

Let’s hope Newman is the defensive back pocket we need.

Not sure he's quite this, but I think "for free" he's worth a go. Obviously Byrne gone, Mullett and O'Shea were disasters, Newman may well be stronger option than those guys have been. Can find the ball, is a good size and has a pretty good left peg. I think he's not overly quick, which would be the concern in a fully defensive position. Certainly worth a spin, I reckon, and that seems to be what the club thinks too.

Salary cap dumps
Salary cap dumps
Especially as the AFL has now confirmed that if you trade a player in and it’s a career ending injury, you can payout their contract outside of the cap, worst case with Patton his tooth pick knee goes again and we say it’s career ending and pay him a heap of money outside the cap.

The money outside the cap is worth it just to screw * I’m sure everyone here will chuck in $100

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiel said no to Hawks and they moved on and went and found new targets. We're wasting our time being strung along. Don't see this as a positive.
Who says we are being strung along, if we force * to pay more that IS a positive for us.

We got our targets and didn’t have to trade out one of our best young players to do so. Hawthorns trade period is meh.

Sounds like you’re partly judging by volume of acquisitions, we’ve done ok in that regard. Might even be getting Newman today too. Relax with the ‘we’re being strung along’ sos isn’t that dumb.

Our remaining interest in Shiel and gws is probably well blown out of proportion by the media, it’s a great piece of click bait for them. Old Victorian rivals competing to the last minute of the trade period.

yep and we got nothing but time, (having completed our mooted trades); salary cap space; next year's 1st to offer.

(and two slightly ungainly flawed KPPs)

always worth a chat.

SOS just sitting back. Sent out a message yesterday saying happy to consider trading future first round and Pick one. Picks & Players a must. Best offer considered. :)

It came out late last night that EssenDONE are looking for GWS to add Finlayson to Shiela in order to 'justify' two first rounders to GWS.
There are LOTS of ways to frustrate the EssenDONE deal in order to maximise the price EssenDONE will have to pay.

I continue to believe that Shiela and another player is worth this year's first rounder and I would not hesitate for a second to give up this year's first rounder and next year's for Shiela / May and another strong player + a pick in the top10.

THAT is the killer deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back