Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about him. Can he football?

Now if it was the other Bailey Williams from WCE I would be very interested....

I think the Plowman comparison is somewhat apt.

He's Plowman with less capacity to get a fist in and spoil a marking contest, but more willingness to chase and tackle.

Given the balance of talls in our backline, I think someone like Williams might be more complementary than Plowman.

Docherty, Jones, Newman
Williams, Weitering, Marchbank
Williamson up the ground.

...still lacking true small defender.

Restricted Free Agent at the end of 2020.

Potential Dylan Shiel candidate then. Trade him out for maximum currency prior to his free agent year.

I feel it’s a good time to change the coach. I think we’re building a great squad but the gameplan is obviously flawed. New face, new game plan, new results hopefully. We’ve given Bolts unprecedented support and he’s beyond the designated refresh and things haven’t changed as far as results are concerned. I’d love Ratts to come home and reckon he would if asked, but I am open to immediate change as long as it’s not a newbie. We need positive strong vibes flowing through the club and quick.
Positive strong vibes by sacking the coach?! Going back to a coach we sacked 7 years ago?! In

Doesn’t sound like strong positive vibes to me. We may only have 1 win, but if you can’t see the improvement I don’t know what to say.

Operation get Coniglio!

RFA end of this year.

giphy.gif

Potential Dylan Shiel candidate then. Trade him out for maximum currency prior to his free agent year.
Can't see any chance they'd be willing to lose him a year early even if they know he will leave, he is a better player and worth much more to them than Shiel.

Can't see any chance they'd be willing to lose him a year early even if they know he will leave, he is a better player and worth much more to them than Shiel.

Yeah Whitfield is a far superior player to Shiel, the difference in their kicking is night and day.

It would be irresponsible to not offer 2 first and 5 years at 1 million bucks.

We need the right fit, not necessarily the perfect fit, and we need it multiple times. We should think of that when we try to work out how to deal out our resources come trade time. The likes of Clape, Pearce and Manton weren't exactly household names before they won themselves a premiership in 1995.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s probably a bit gun shy in talking in absolutes also, I read it as he wants to come home and we are in his ear.

To be frank, for a player of his type then Carlton would be in neon lights in his thought process. Up and coming list, guaranteed to get a fame as there is literally none else of his talent in the position he plays on our list and plenty of tall timber to feed him his bread and butter.

I think Papley was interviewed post our game and had good words about our growth/contest.

I feel it’s a good time to change the coach. I think we’re building a great squad but the gameplan is obviously flawed. New face, new game plan, new results hopefully. We’ve given Bolts unprecedented support and he’s beyond the designated refresh and things haven’t changed as far as results are concerned. I’d love Ratts to come home and reckon he would if asked, but I am open to immediate change as long as it’s not a newbie. We need positive strong vibes flowing through the club and quick.
Not convinced that it's a good time to change. The team has shown improvement and isn't far off the pace, so as things stand a 'mid year' sakcing won't improve things and isn't warranted. That said, a few wins are needed at some point for players and coach alike.

I like Tom Phillips.

22 yrs old, ball magnet, left footer, good user, outside class, 5th string in Collingwoods midfield and out of contract.

Coniglio/Kelly would cost too much salary wise and would squeeze our depth out a few years down the track.

Agreed, he’s got a fair bit of improvement still too, and although he never needs to star he always impacts at the right times: kicks vital goals, wins important one-one-ones etc.

Still a heap of scope to develop his inside game too, as he’s almost purely an outside player at this stage.

Not convinced that it's a good time to change. The team has shown improvement and isn't far off the pace, so as things stand a 'mid year' sakcing won't improve things and isn't warranted. That said, a few wins are needed at some point for players and coach alike.

I don't think it's a good time to change either but, if the whisper that Longmire might be heading to North is right, I wouldn't be against us looking at Brad Scott for the role that Craig played.

Yep. They set the agenda - 66 games - and it hasn’t worked and doesn’t look like working anytime soon. We had a number of admirable losses last year too, but had some huge losses when the kids got tired. It won’t be any different this year. We need change and the installation of greater hope for supporters, because I reckon if you did a poll right now, it would be damning for the coach and the club.

After Round 6, 2018: 18th on the ladder, 0 wins, percentage of 66.3.
After Round 6, 2019: 15th on the ladder, 1 win, percentage of 93.6.

One or two players show a little more composure in the dying seconds of the GC game, and we win.
2 more seconds on the clock in the Hawthorn game, and a decent chance we win. Alternatively, not losing three players by 3QT and we win.

Could easily have been 2 or 3 wins on the board. We'd be sitting in 11th place if that was the case.

I know - it's not - we're in the bottom 4. But this time last year our season was cactus. This year it feels like we could pinch the win in just about any game, all it takes is the players keeping their intensity up for four quarters. Whether it suits your little personal narrative or not, the improvement is clear to see.

And with all due respect to these "supporters" you want to poll - most of them are idiots. Most people are idiots when it comes to most subjects. Footy fans are, by and large, idiots when it comes to how a footy club operates, though some of them are smart enough to not proclaim their ignorance from their digital rooftops. A subsection of supporters look no further than the ladder in any given week, and they don't like it when their mates hang shit on them after a loss. Subsequently they take out their frustration by spewing ignorant vitriol in online forums.

I'm surprised someone who spends as much time on this forum as you do is apparently blind to the improvement in the side compared to last year. I'm surprised you think the vocal minority are in any way representative of what the club should or shouldn't do. And I'm surprised you think the "supporters" don't have hope, given the membership numbers have hit a record high.

Most of our losses this season are a result of poor skill disposal or decision making at a critical time on the field, hopefully this will improve as the players gain more experience.
So at this this point in time it wouldn't make too much difference as to who is sitting in the coaches box as they can't kick or make a decision for the player on the field.
If our team is not performing consistently well with out injuries in 12 months time then you might be asking questions.

One or two players show a little more composure in the dying seconds of the GC game, and we win.
2 more seconds on the clock in the Hawthorn game, and a decent chance we win. Alternatively, not losing three players by 3QT and we win.

Could easily have been 2 or 3 wins on the board. We'd be sitting in 11th place if that was the case.

I know - it's not - we're in the bottom 4. But this time last year our season was cactus. This year it feels like we could pinch the win in just about any game, all it takes is the players keeping their intensity up for four quarters. Whether it suits your little personal narrative or not, the improvement is clear to see.

And with all due respect to these "supporters" you want to poll - most of them are idiots. Most people are idiots when it comes to most subjects. Footy fans are, by and large, idiots when it comes to how a footy club operates, though some of them are smart enough to not proclaim their ignorance from their digital rooftops. A subsection of supporters look no further than the ladder in any given week, and they don't like it when their mates hang **** on them after a loss. Subsequently they take out their frustration by spewing ignorant vitriol in online forums.

I'm surprised someone who spends as much time on this forum as you do is apparently blind to the improvement in the side compared to last year. I'm surprised you think the vocal minority are in any way representative of what the club should or shouldn't do. And I'm surprised you think the "supporters" don't have hope, given the membership numbers have hit a record high.

This. So this.

Last year we were the 18th best side with 17th WELL ahead of us. We had to catch up to the pack to even be in the pack.

This year we are in it up to our eyeballs, competitive against just about anyone, and have shown we can actually dominate for periods of the game. For a few years some wise heads have been banging on about percentage being a useful indicator, and I think it really shows how Carlton circa 2019 is absolutely *IN* every game we play.

What we do not have yet is the ability to eek out wins, to take 50-50 situations and make them ours. Clearly that's the NEXT thing to learn. The Hawthorn game was a perfect example, where a more experienced, better-drilled team that categorically knows how to win out-gamed us in key moments. A tweak here, a tweak there, and that Hawks side is not getting within 5 goals of this Carlton side.

As nice as it would be to have conigilio and/or whitfield, we have players that are developing into these types. I think we'd get the most improvement in our list by addressing our weaknesses - a gun small forward or two would go a long way to balancing our list, more so than additional mids imo.

And with all due respect to these "supporters" you want to poll - most of them are idiots. Most people are idiots when it comes to most subjects. Footy fans are, by and large, idiots when it comes to how a footy club operates, though some of them are smart enough to not proclaim their ignorance from their digital rooftops. A subsection of supporters look no further than the ladder in any given week, and they don't like it when their mates hang **** on them after a loss. Subsequently they take out their frustration by spewing ignorant vitriol in online forums.

👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back