Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS have to reduce their list size and have quite a few academy kids coming through this year. They could on trade any early picks for multiple later picks which gives them the points needed to get these academy kids.
Interestingly I think they are actually okay listwise, but theyre 600k over cap and need to trade contracted players to get back under the cap

Based off of what we saw from SOS last year (and his past at GWS) you can almost guarantee that - even if the rumoured GWS 2.0 has truth to it - there is no way that we won't draft in the first round of the next two drafts.

Whether the trade is 2nd round pick and a downgrade of first rounder... Or some other combination, I don't think anyone at the club believe we are in a position to step away from the supposed '3 year rebuild'

That's not to say I believe those four players aren't worth a first and a second round pick, just that there will undoubtedly be a plan in motion to get us back drafting in the first round of the trade goes ahead.

Belief, people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be honest, I don't know too much about any of them. But from what I've seen, heard and read, Marchbank is probably the most important to us out of the four.
If he is what they say he is. He caps off what will be a ten year, highly talented back line.
It's already been mentioned, but Rowe is doing a fantastic job at the moment, but he won't be around for the next five years. Simpson is irreplaceable but Sheehan, Buckley and a couple of others can come in to play his role when he chooses to hang up the boots...
So imagine , Weitering, Plowman, Byrne, Doc, Touhy, Marchbank and a "Buckley type" as our back 6 or 7 for the next ten years. Marchbank seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle.
But again, I'm just going by the opinions and observations of others...

I think he's the most highly rated of that lot, but the point I'm (poorly) making is that he's no Weitering. If he wants to go somewhere else, for whatever reason, I don't think it's going to cause us any loss of sleep.

The Dogs unearthed an absolute gem of a defender in Marcus Adams, quite late in the draft. They're around, so if Marchbank doesn't pan out we can just reduce our offer for the other three players, and look elsewhere (draft or trade) for another key defender.

LOL - they are delusional

Saints traded it for Freeman:eek: last year. Also makes it hard to trade 2017 2nd rounder as AFL have rules on using the picks.

:p

Have a look at last years AFL trade period verdict if you want a real laugh...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-22/trade-period-the-final-verdict

The only restrictions on future pick trading are:

- Can only trade one year into the future (no trading 2018 picks this year).
- If a future first round pick is traded, cannot future trade any other picks.
- If future first round pick is retained, can trade any and all other future picks in that year.
- Must use (draft) at least two first round picks in any given four-year period.

So no worries for the Saints to trade a 2017 second rounder (and later) picks if they choose, provided they keep their 2017 first.

imagine this board the weeks leading into trade period.... OMG it'll be chaos trying to keep up!

You haven't been around for any other trade periods?

I remember commenting (or perhaps even posting here) on Stewart the first time I saw him play - I wanted him at Carlton. The guy made a great first impression on me and I reckon he is just as important as any of the other of the GWS4v2 we are looking at.

EDIT: Just did a search and I posted in this thread after our game against GWS in Sep 2015:
Have very much liked what I saw of Stewart. Would be great if we somehow wrangled him from GWS.

DOUBLE EDIT: Posted in the game day thread in August 2015:
Can we get Stewart? Like the look of him.

Last edited:
I remember commenting (or perhaps even posting here) on Stewart the first time I saw him play - I wanted him at Carlton. The guy made a great first impression on me and I reckon he is just as important as any of the other of the GWS4v2 we are looking at.

EDIT: Just did a search and I posted in this thread after our game against GWS in Sep 2015:

DOUBLE EDIT: Posted in the game day thread in August 2015:

But what do you think about Stewart?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only restrictions on future pick trading are:

- Can only trade one year into the future (no trading 2018 picks this year).
- If a future first round pick is traded, cannot future trade any other picks.
- If future first round pick is retained, can trade any and all other future picks in that year.
- Must use (draft) at least two first round picks in any given four-year period.

So no worries for the Saints to trade a 2017 second rounder (and later) picks if they choose, provided they keep their 2017 first.
Thanks for clarifying BB. I thought there was a limited restriction on trading the second round.

Still wonder if a second round pick is enough for Marchbank?

Given their history on trading in Carlisle last year, STK will publicly announce it will be done for a second round pick, then cave in and give up their first round pick for Marchabnak and GWS second round pick.:p

They have Carlisle and Goddard.
Would be a formidable backline if they could add Marchbank to that as well.

Goddard out for 12 months... Jesse Hogan kicked 7 goals in a losing side against them.

*Did you have a souvlaki the other night?

Keep up the wins and the positive performances, and more players than just the GWS4 MkII will want to come over to us.
Exactly. Player managers will be contacting us asking what it will take to get his player to Carlton.

Cap space, players preferred destination etc

GWS get cap space regardless of who they trade to. As for players preferred destination, this is most important. If Essendon or Bulldogs, Saints or Tigers offer any of those players $50-$100,000 per year more then their preferred destination can change pretty quick.

GWS have to reduce their list size and have quite a few academy kids coming through this year. They could on trade any early picks for multiple later picks which gives them the points needed to get these academy kids.

I understand they need to make room for academy kids and they need cap space but they get that regardless what club trades for their players. My point was, why would they accept 8 and 26 when the four players might be worth 8, 26 and 40? A good club wouldn't accept unders if they could get more elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back