Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour on the Aints board is that Marchbank is going to them for a 2nd rounder. Done deal.

Discuss.

Lol saints

I suppose they did pip us for Bailey Rice and Savage.

That's big footy for you, lets name two kids on our list he's good mates with, hmmn tall people are generally friends with one another, all those common interest... like being tall. Let's say he's besties with McCartin and Goddard

That's it isn't it.

Nothing like a plausible narrative to give them some hope for the rest of the season.

Rumour on the Aints board is that Marchbank is going to them for a 2nd rounder. Done deal.

Discuss.

I don't think we need a defender yet..apparently sos also said he is focusing on our midfield and forward line.

Rowe is doing a great job taking the oppositions biggest and best defenders each week and being versatile enough to pinch hit forward and in the ruck.

Unless we play Plowman on opposition medium/smalls and play all of him, Weitering, Marchbank and Rowe in the team...possible as Marchbank would then be replacing white.

I don't think we need a defender yet..apparently sos also said he is focusing on our midfield and forward line.

Rowe is doing a great job taking the oppositions biggest and best defenders each week and being versatile enough to pinch hit forward and in the ruck.

Unless we play Plowman on opposition medium/smalls and play all of him, Weitering, Marchbank and Rowe in the team...possible as Marchbank would then be replacing white.

Marchbank is a first rounder all day long unless he is to be packaged up to create salary cap and list management room. Sainters are as delusional.

Their salary cap will get tighter as their list matures. They are handling it well by trading out replaceable players in positions they have great depth in, this will not last forever. Allowing kids to go home as part of their list management strategy is okay for now, it will be toxic for their culture and survival long term, McCarthy is the tip of the iceberg.
Also the AFL have allowed GWS to keep the COLA for now, which is BS by the way. Clubs will soon be up in arms about it and it will have to be fazed out like Sydney are doing now.

Did anyone see the snippet in the HS on sunday, which quoted trigg as saying we need another 2-3 years of drafting top young talent?

To me, that doesn't sound like we will be trading out our 1st or 2nd rd picks. Unless of course we trade out some of our higher end talent [insert name (s) here] to get those picks back.
I saw that too and am of the same opinion.

Rowe is doing a fantastic job, but he is a stop gap until we get something better. No offense to him because as I said he has been great this year and taking all the pressure of Weiters and Plowman.

The time is now to be looking for our next big key defender and if Marchbank is on the table, we should and will be all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Discuss.

Wouldn't be the end of the world.

Steele, Tomlinson and Stewart for our second and third picks, make a play for Lachie Neale or Dion Prestia with our first and a player, or just go to the draft for best available mid with our first round pick.

I like Marchbank, but I don't think he's critical enough that we need to move heaven and earth, or overpay, to get him.

Ok i am a big fan of the proposed GWS 4 trade but i dont see how it will get done for only our 1st and our 2nd round pick. Lets say 8 and 26. Why would GWS except this off us when they could get more elsewhere? I would be willing to offer our third as well or even next years second to get it done. Does anyone else think it is huge unders?
GWS have to reduce their list size and have quite a few academy kids coming through this year. They could on trade any early picks for multiple later picks which gives them the points needed to get these academy kids.

There is inherent risk in all four.

Marchbank appears to be another mobile, attacking KPD, and maybe his skill set is too similar to Plowman and Weitering. Is he the 'stopper' that will allow the others to play to their strengths?

Four years in Tomlinson still doesn't have a defined role.

Stewart has fair numbers from a limited body of work, and often played as third or fourth banana.

Steele I like, but hard to get a read in the stacked GWS midfield.

Not to say I wouldn't do it, but you'd like a better idea of who you are foregoing before making the call. Could be the next Cripps or Bontompelli falls to pick 7/8.

The Saints threw the kitchen sink at Carlisle last year while Silvagni determined his price for him and stuck to it .
Re Marchbank , Silvagni will have all the knowledge available and if he likes him coupled with the no dickhead factor and no WADA hanging over his head , the Saints might just find Silvagni more up for the fight this time ...

We won't be overpaying for anyone, yet.
It's just not our turn to do so.

Plenty to play out before we can hang our hat on anyone just yet but we should be feeling pretty comfortable about a couple at least....for now.

Very true.

He is just another player on the list of potential candidates for this years SOS miracle move.

Steele, Tomlinson and Stewart for our second and third picks, make a play for Lachie Neale or Dion Prestia with our first and a player, or just go to the draft for best available mid with our first round pick.

I like Marchbank, but I don't think he's critical enough that we need to move heaven and earth, or overpay, to get him.
I'll be honest, I don't know too much about any of them. But from what I've seen, heard and read, Marchbank is probably the most important to us out of the four.
If he is what they say he is. He caps off what will be a ten year, highly talented back line.
It's already been mentioned, but Rowe is doing a fantastic job at the moment, but he won't be around for the next five years. Simpson is irreplaceable but Sheehan, Buckley and a couple of others can come in to play his role when he chooses to hang up the boots...
So imagine , Weitering, Plowman, Byrne, Doc, Touhy, Marchbank and a "Buckley type" as our back 6 or 7 for the next ten years. Marchbank seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle.
But again, I'm just going by the opinions and observations of others...

We did get pick 19 back but at this stage it is not looking like a good trade for us.

You’re right, at this stage not looking overly positive but I think it is still retrievable.
KJ I think can still develop into an AFL KP, still young and coming to terms with what Bolts demands, I think he just needs time to adjust
Boekhorst has talent and pace and would be in consideration for seniors if fit. Maybe hasn’t lived up to his pick 19 status but not a lost cause
Whiley I think is the miss. On exposed form at AFL level just doesn’t show enough and I don’t see any upside. I’m sure he’ll get another crack at some stage this year but would be surprised if he has a long term future

Still not a write-off!

Very true.

He is just another player on the list of potential candidates for this years SOS miracle move.

I think it may be something like this:

We want him and he says he wants us.
Everyone has an agreement-in-principle going on. The clubs, the players etc. but the manager may still be happy to be fielding offers and utilizing leverage.
Who knows which dollar breaks the camels back, in terms of where we see the value.

It may not be like that but we may have everything tidied up elsewhere, but just have a bit of a loose wheel here......and then we're still 4 months away. :)

Agreed. Neale > Marchbank any day of the week. Or even Brodie.

I'm not fussed on Stewart but would be happy to give away our 2nd this year and our 2nd next year for Steele and Tomlinson, if they want to throw in Stewart great. Then hit the draft or hunt Neale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back