Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were to be a genuine chance to happen I would imagine that the powers that be would have a special meeting with Cripps, Weitering, Charlie, Harry, Doc, TDK and anyone else they considered to be a key and have a genuine discussion about the impacts cap and list wise (without going into the specifics).

Some of these (or all) might be more than happy to re-structure salaries to further back-end and allow some cap space to become available. I'm sure that all of these guys understand that a Carlton premiership (or multiples) is worth millions to them after their career is finished.

Pretty sure the salary cap rises $2 mil for 2025.

It’s not a question of saving money.
Yes, that is true in part. But i suspect some of our recent contract extensions like Charlie, Harry, Weitering and Cripps will be tied to a percentage of the salary meaning they automatically expand as the cap rises. I understand that's the standard for major contracts these days.

That may not be the case for older signings like Cerra or McGovern and is not the case for free agent signings like Williams whose contract is fixed. So while we will definitely get some wiggle room from the increased cap I doubt it is the full $2m and may be as little as $500k (hypothetically).

I think most (all?) players have clauses that their salary increases with cap raises.
I think this is only for larger, longer contracts. Pretty sure rookie deals and draftee salaries are fixed because they are shorter length (2-3 years). Plus free agent contracts are fixed.

If it were to be a genuine chance to happen I would imagine that the powers that be would have a special meeting with Cripps, Weitering, Charlie, Harry, Doc, TDK and anyone else they considered to be a key and have a genuine discussion about the impacts cap and list wise (without going into the specifics).

Some of these (or all) might be more than happy to re-structure salaries to further back-end and allow some cap space to become available. I'm sure that all of these guys understand that a Carlton premiership (or multiples) is worth millions to them after their career is finished.

I would like to hope that the club is smart enough to have the conversation with the leaders before pursuing someone like Petracca. I am sure that most of things gets discussed with Cripps + others before doing anything or you just shooting yourself in the foot.

edit: There has to be some middle ground between both us and Petraca or he is going to enjoy a wasted year at Melbourne.

IF they endangered his life they are in breach.

He’d have an OKish case for damages resulting from a reduced contract elsewhere. The commercial circumstances are different from an employment change or so he could argue.

But the whole thing would be super messy, likely have to be done during his career due to statutory limitations and pretty ****ing distracting for all.
That's exactly why I believe it'll never see the light of day.

It's a nice threat to throw about but I think that's an empty threat.

A few points regarding Petracca:

- If he leaves, it will only be for Carlton. Not remotely interested in going anywhere else.
  • We will not be letting a 'star' go under any circumstances. I am not sure where Cerra fits into this.
  • Where it fits within the AFL's rules, our top earners have a pact to forgo a portion of their salaries in order to get someone of the calibre of Petracca in. Salary won't be a problem.

Lots to play out yet.

#Bluemour

I like when a player only wants to join one club. None of this “Well I like Carlton. But I think I might like to play for Collingwood. But Hawthorn have a nice young list. How about Geelong? They were the highest ranked Victorian club this year, so maybe them.”.

Yup if a trade for Petracca is seriously under consideration, one would expect Adam Cerra a former pick 5, quality young midfielder with over 100 games under his belt, and our 1st rounder 2024 may be sufficient trade value for the Demons.
These hail mary’s very rarely work - especially for a combative 29 year old.

Much prefer to keep Cez

These hail mary’s very rarely work - especially for a combative 29 year old.

Much prefer to keep Cez
Cerra is a very good player. I understand people wanting him to stay. However Petracca is an absolute great and someone we would love at the club.

If we did trade Cerra as part of the Petracca deal, have to remember we do have some youth coming in this year and some already on our list. Lord looks a 200 gamer imo. Binns looked really good, Cowan hopefully gets midfield time in 2025, so on and so forth.

If Cerra unlocks the Petracca deal, the club would be silly not to do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cerra must be heavily concussed if he agrees to go Melbourne. Like why would you do that? Maybe if they increase his salary from 600k-700k to over 1mill and its a multi year deal then maybe. But why would Melbourne want a somewhat prone injured player and pay that much.

Cerra is a very good player. I understand people wanting him to stay. However Petracca is an absolute great and someone we would love at the club.

If we did trade Cerra as part of the Petracca deal, have to remember we do have some youth coming in this year and some already on our list. Lord looks a 200 gamer imo. Binns looked really good, Cowan hopefully gets midfield time in 2025, so on and so forth.

If Cerra unlocks the Petracca deal, the club would be silly not to do it
I’m not so sure HCJ - if he was 25-26 YOA I’d agree - smells of Dylan Shiel to me - 💩

I have a well grounded reason to suspect that a former player (non Melbourne) but a current "journalist" will refer to an unnamed source (or mention that it's a current player agent of at least two Melbourne players (not Petracca)) providing their insight / speculation into the Petracca-Carlton rumor in the next day or so.

Are we instantly premiership favourite In 2025 if we get petracca and don’t lose a star KP player. I’d happily turn over Cerra and a first but that is all.
Will always come down to youth stepping up. Petracca will be awesome if it happens, but growth from Moir, Lord, Wilson, Kemp, Binns etc will be what determines whether we take home the cup. Petracca is just the cream

I was racking my brain today trying to think of player defections of this magnitude in the modern game.

Judd, Franklin, Dangerfield, Ablett Jr, Cameron. Back in the day, Diesel, Lockett. This is the level Petracca is at.

These things don't happen all the time. When they happen, you welcome them with open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back