Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or are players peaking a bit later in this day and age? Maybe not the individual players themselves, but the team aspect of their game.

It's a funny one.

If injuries hit you then careers can be over in the blink of an eye. A ton of players who are ravaged by 25-26 and can't get through their 20's before retirement.

However, the increased level of professionalism means if you don't get hit by injuries then you've been taught to take care of the mind and body a lot better than what players were in the past.

It's not just Aussie Rules either. If you look towards European football and sports like the NBA you have players hitting the ground running (like you do in the AFL) but players are playing well past what used to be the prime years of their career with a lot more regularity now than in the past.

It's all about the advancement of sports science and some luck.

Not a fan of player development? :p

Autocorrect on my new desktop is driving me bonkers. Need to work out how to turn it off. :tearsofjoy:

Would be keen to add another couple of stalls to this list. Then with what we have and who we have coming the nucleus will be there.

Stalls are great! I love mine. 😊

T Shirt Heart GIF by Ascot Racecourse

Message second hand through our group from person that is heavily involved in player movement. Never discusses player names

Austin and team are extremely active and have spoken with everyone possible
Not looking at any "big" name players at this stage
Believe List is in a good spot. Needs are tall defenders and run off HB
Massive focus on fitness and medical by Cook. Expect big changes in dept after season over
Want to use first round pick in draft. Looking for deals to get more first round picks as believe there is good players up to 20-25. Mids and Talls. Won't be easy as many clubs want the same. Pushed for same last year but couldn't get a deal
Have money is salary cap if "big" name falls our way but happy to work with list we have with smart additions. Next year will be in great spot for any FA deals

My flabber is gasted if they don't see midfield pace as a need. That scares me.

Melbourne won a flag with Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Sparrow as their main mid rotation. The dogs had the best midfield in the comp with Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunkley and Treloar as their mid rotation. Our issue is more with ball use coming out of the middle

Not sure although next 2-3 years could be very good and we need to take advantage of McKay Curnow Cripps Weitering in their prime. If we went for a Petracca or Houston I may agree but I see our list differently and I think the club does as well. We seem to have a 10 year type focus. That is why we are going to draft again

It will all depend how Moir, Wilson, Lord, O'Keefe types step up. Cerra Walsh Ollie Elijah Cowan Kemp Motlop are still young
This is how we have to think as a club from now on. The scorched earth rebuilding model provides no guarantees so we're better off trying to follow the Swans/Cats method. Invest massively in drafting and player development.

Next few years: core group (Cripps/H/Charlie/Weiters etc) carry the load while the young guys develop.

2028 and beyond: young group have reached a point in their development where they can carry the load and allow the ageing stars to play a lesser role.

Rinse and repeat.

If you look towards European football and sports like the NBA you have players hitting the ground running (like you do in the AFL) but players are playing well past what used to be the prime years of their career with a lot more regularity now than in the past.

1724888640643.png

Rosas is an interesting one, I don't think Dimma really gave him a fair shake but at the same time he's not a world beater.

He's a 8-10 possession a game forward who kicks maybe a goal a game. Doesn't have great pressure. But there's growth there, he's lively and creative so I could see him taking a step or 2, but at this point he's essentially a slightly more athletic Motlop.

Melbourne won a flag with Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Sparrow as their main mid rotation. The dogs had the best midfield in the comp with Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunkley and Treloar as their mid rotation. Our issue is more with ball use coming out of the middle
That was before the rule changes and the quicker ball ups. Has made it harder for the big bulks to get to contests over time.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rosas is an interesting one, I don't think Dimma really gave him a fair shake but at the same time he's not a world beater.

He's a 8-10 possession a game forward who kicks maybe a goal a game. Doesn't have great pressure. But there's growth there, he's lively and creative so I could see him taking a step or 2, but at this point he's essentially a slightly more athletic Motlop.
Cheap owies replacement?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take is it's more about run on the outside. We are slow from defence

Look at most sides and they aren't quick in the middle (not slow) We also have Lord Wilson Elijah Ollie to move into midfield and a fit Walsh & Cerra makes a difference as well

Add a Garcia and it's even better

I still believe game style and ball use is our biggest issue

Reading the new rumour. Makes sense as the saints were really into Tom last year before he signed an extension with us.

Are we willing to part ways with TDK for Petrecca? I would assume it be a 3-way trade between Us/Saints/Melbourne if this were to occur.

Be something like.

Carlton
In: Petrecca
Out: TDK, Carlton 2024 3rd Rd (36-54 Range)

Saints:
In: TDK, Melbourne 2024 2nd Rd (Pick 23)
Out: StK 2024 1st Rd Pick (Pick 7)

Melbourne
In: StK 2024 1st Rd Pick (Pick 7), Carlton 2024 3rd Rd (36-54 Range)
Out: Petrecca, Melbourne 2024 2nd Rd (Pick 23)

Melbourne go into the draft with Pick 5 & 7 and rebuild?

Can't tell if I am under/over evaluating TDK.

Jack was in the box too and he is still SOS's son, makes sense if he was with TDK before the game and said "Hey Tom, my dad's in a box right now, wanna go watch the footy up there?"
That’s gold! Way to cut thru the BS
All the conspiracy theories in the world maybe fun, but I’m backing your take 100%.

Even more so, if your dads at the game it’s pretty much a given that you drop by and say hello - SOS ain’t coming into our rooms anymore to say hello😂

Mids were mentioned. Let's assume they mean speedy mids for the sake of our mental health.😛

It's a funny one.

If injuries hit you then careers can be over in the blink of an eye. A ton of players who are ravaged by 25-26 and can't get through their 20's before retirement.

However, the increased level of professionalism means if you don't get hit by injuries then you've been taught to take care of the mind and body a lot better than what players were in the past.

It's not just Aussie Rules either. If you look towards European football and sports like the NBA you have players hitting the ground running (like you do in the AFL) but players are playing well past what used to be the prime years of their career with a lot more regularity now than in the past.

Sports science, and I think at least equally as important is nutrition. We know more than ever how much of an impact diet has on our bodies and combined with improved recovery/training methods guys can hold up longer. So long as the motivation levels are maintained, also.

It's really interesting, people were saying constantly that Cripps would be cooked by 28 given the way he plays, but if anything he's physically better now than at any other point in his career - he would probably outrun 22 yr old Cripps. Murphy played years longer than he perhaps should have - aside from his cooked shoulder he was fine. Simpson was similar, his body probably could've kept him going for another couple years. Boomer Harvey had at least 1 more season left, maybe 2.

I could see Cripps being effective until ~32. Not as dynamic, probably less inside-outside run, but as a Josh Kennedy type inside mid, early-mid 30s being somewhat effective is definitely on the board. Especially if he finds his marking hands and can spend time forward. That'll extend his career years.

He’s a lightning quick, Bobby Hill type that needs another 5 kilos of muscle.

Absolutely one we should be into, has plenty of extended family in Melbourne so that would help moving to the big smoke

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Melbourne won a flag with Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Sparrow as their main mid rotation.
Melbourne's midfield might have been slow, but they had plenty of speed...

... Allegedly.

TDK for Petracca, I would be okay with that. I don’t rate rucks as highly as some do.
Looks like an awesome trade/draft period coming up. Would be great if we had a count down clock to the draft stickied in one of the threads at the top of the page

Now do Stengle before entering the Cattery!

1724889896442.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back