Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that sentiment but have we actually shown that we're great at developing young talent?

You'll get some that will have become great no matter where they landed (Cripps) but I don't think we're particularly good at developing young talent to play at the next level up.

If D'Ambrosio had come here 12 months ago, do you think he'd have had the season he just did? I've got several doubts about that.

I agree with your comments. Development is a major issue BUT what do we do? Just keep buying players and bugger our salary cap and development?

We need to get development right. You cannot be a strong club without it these days. We need to fix these problems, not avoid them

It's a very fair point that a few are angry about
I've mentioned it several times, Voss has a long history of selecting veterans over kids at nearly every opportunity. He did it in Brisbane and similar has happened here.

The only kid he's really invested games into is Ollie, the rest have been in and out. Cowan has seemingly broken into being cemented but he had to earn it several times over.

It's a frustrating selection philosophy.

I agree with your comments. Development is a major issue BUT what do we do? Just keep buying players and bugger our salary cap and development?

We need to get development right. You cannot be a strong club without it these days. We need to fix these problems, not avoid them
Oh I agree in the most part, with a current situational caveat.

We are in a premiership window and need to be able to get players in that can have an instant impact. Ideally you'd get them cheap like D'Ambrosio but if we can't develop them, we'll just continue to churn through them and waste potential.

I've mentioned it several times, Voss has a long history of selecting veterans over kids at nearly every opportunity. He did it in Brisbane and similar has happened here.

The only kid he's really invested games into is Ollie, the rest have been in and out. Cowan has seemingly broken into being cemented but he had to earn it several times over.

It's a frustrating selection philosophy.

Yep. I said it months ago and got slammed

He is very stoic and won't change. Has his favourites, likes mature bodies, and will stick with them regardless

Recruiting Houston reinforces the habit of name players for high draft picks. Houston is 28FFS and only a half back. We do this in 3 years, we are bottom 4.
What first round draft picks have we traded out for high end players recently?

Cerra is one, but he was a young early 20s mid for a single first round pick and future 3rd, not an expensive mid-late career big name player so not sure he fits neatly into that category.

Any aside from Cez? I don't think it's quite the habit that everyone says it is.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of what Houston will cost us.
Agree with this, I think it's a nice idea and does fill a need - ball use is shocking for us - but we have a breadth of needs that giving up capital doesn't help. We're several pieces away, not just 1.

Issue could be Voss is coaching for his career. Will be interesting how this plays out.
Good thing list management isn't Vossy's call completely then.

Yes.
So if it's F1, then fair enough I guess.
But, if as suggested we were planning to turn F1 into another 2024 1st and ontrade that, I'd be less comfortable.
Would love to be able to take 2 1st in this years draft.
Exactly. We shouldn't just be worried about our window is now and throw all our eggs in for the next couple of years. Need to keep bringing in youth and build a list that can challenge consistently. No short term quick fixes and then a long trough rebuilding. We've been there before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not saying he can’t go on, goreds. I’m saying that my gut feel is that he has decided he won’t go on.

For what it’s worth, if such a decision has transpired behind the scenes, it would further support the external view of your opposition club source that we had put the cue in the rack.
But he said after the game he now has 6 months rehab left to fill out his 12 months? He’s not going anywhere.

Let's say we land/chase Houston

It will cost Pick 11 and at best a second rounder, maybe another first rounder?

Let's say for this picks we could get Berry & Travaglia or similar PLUS have more money in cap for FA next year? Is that worth it?

Also, probably keeps Wilson or someone out of side and affects their development

Everything I hear from club is we want to go to the draft. It's our focus. If true, how do we do this deal?

Last edited:
Can play, but injured a lot. Played some good games late '23 and got a rising star nom.
Played 10 VFL games this year with good numbers, but tough to break into their midfield.
Would seem to be an odd get for us, unless we are going to triple down on winning contests at the expense of winning games of football.

Red Flag Japan GIF by MotoGP™

Saad was worth it, at least initially. Was just everywhere and seemed to never lose a contest.
Refer to Golden Rule A.
Make the most of each player's unique attributes and help them flourish.

Binns should have replaced Oli(or 1 of the struggling small forwards) for a few games earlier this season. Nothing to lose, only rewards effort, gains experience and puts a rocket up the more favoured ones.

Wholeheartedly agree, you need every player on the list to be on edge not just the young bucks plowing away in the twos for little reward.

Olli was putrid earlier in the season, a few games in the twos would have done him no harm at all

Cerra straight in every damn time, Cottrell another (seriously, when did he ever become an automatic?), Williams etc etc

There’s zero harm in playing those guys in the twos to find fitness and form, I just don’t get it at all

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, but like DQ I am not posting them anymore. Tired of the crap by the trolls on here
Sad but understandable.

Every year we see certain posters pick apart the ones who bring their information. Bugs me so much. I wish people could just get their head around the fact of RUMOURS and that in the majority of cases the information provided is the state of play at that time. Nothing should be taken as fact until it happens. Urgh. I will welcome and enjoy any bluemour provided. It’s all part of the fun.

Let's say we land/chase Houston

It will cost Pick 11 and at best a second rounder, maybe another first rounder?

Let's say for this picks we could get Berry & Travaglia or similar PLUS have more money in cap for FA next year? Is that worth it?

Also, probably keeps Wilson or someone out of side and affects their development

Everything I hear from club is we want to go to the draft. It's our focus. If true, how do we do this deal?
This is the way. We shouldn't be chasing Houston who will give us 5 years max, rather we should be looking for the next Houston that can give us 10+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back