Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recruiting Houston reinforces the habit of name players for high draft picks. Houston is 28FFS and only a half back. We do this in 3 years, we are bottom 4.

He's 27 and been All-Australian the last two years...
He's durable (barely missed a game the last three years), can kick the ball better than anyone we have in our team (only Mitch McGovern in our entire squad has better disposal efficiency) + he's averaged over 11,200 metres gained per season the last two years (more than any of our current players).

AND, it appears his preference is to play with us (best mates with JSOS)

We struggle to move the ball out of half back and indeed with our precision inside 50 (in 2023 he had 113 x Inside 50's!).

He is the type of player that would help us greatly.

No brainer.

Last edited:
More than one and NO they never do which says it all. They are happy to attack when wrong but never say anything when right
Correct, I used to post mail about another club that was rock solid but things change in football and they rarely appreciated it when I was right, if I got it wrong I was just a troll etc.

Also, I’ve been a prick to you before and apologised but there’s definitely not enough of admitting you’re wrong on the internet

We all come here for our love of the Blues, I just try to get along with everyone and sometimes you need to bow your head and admit when you’ve been unreasonable

Correct, I used to post mail about another club that was rock solid but things change in football and they rarely appreciated it when I was right, if I got it wrong I was just a troll etc.

Also, I’ve been a prick to you before and apologised but there’s definitely not enough of admitting you’re wrong on the internet

We all come here for our love of the Blues, I just try to get along with everyone and sometimes you need to bow your head and admit when you’ve been unreasonable

No you weren't. As we discussed we had some "clashes" over opinions but we discussed it in a message like people should. We understood each others reasons and move on

TBH you showed a lot of class and grace and it was great.

I'm wrong a lot. Need to keep an open mind

Vast majority here are excellent and I really enjoy some of the discussions especially when we have a different opinion.

They could ask, I wouldn't be paying it though.

Coming off an ACL and I don't think he's the player you're suggesting he is in that post. He's kicked 44 goals in 103 games. 10 goals in his last 36 games.
Sam Walsh has kicked 42 in 119.

As mentioned by others, Bevo has stuffed him around a bit also. In a good setup he's capable of 20 a year imo.

Suggestion to Mods on this thread/site as this has been happening for years and years with the same, sad result.

Just like would-be bluemourers spouting nonsense with no backup (not sure how but I'm sure mods do some due diligence and know who's full of it)... surely there could be some kind of impact or action against posters pissing on posters (like your DQs and Soapys) for simply sharing info?

If you don't like what's being shared or want to have a go, thread-ban. Bang.

Not sure as a mod if or how this could happen but it's pretty bloody easy in retrospect to find culprits from recent bluemours.

Reason being that this thread creates some of the most active, engaged conversation (and often hope) for months of the year around draft, selections and player movement so is in the site's best interest to preserve potential good sharers of information.

Cheers.

I’ve read a lot of posts about team selection/integrity and upcoming trade period and I’m not sure what supporters want.

Very conflicting views from going after so called big fish or role players on the cheap or just going to the draft.

At the end of the day we just need to trust the club and unfortunately it’s not going to please everyone.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I agree, and this is a good point.

I actually think the club has some big decisions to make as far as their overall strategy going forward in the football department as a whole regarding both coaching and playing list. I think we are at a bit of a crossroads.

With players like Cripps, Newman, Acres, Saad, Mcgovern, Kennedy all in that 28/29/30 age range now and with our core spine Curnow, Mckay, Weitering (27/28) all really hitting the prime of their careers, our window should absolutely be open right now.

Unfortuantly we have some perennial player injury issues (Marchbank, Cuningham, Williams, Martin, Docherty) who are also in the same age group as the above players and this is an area where we are falling down big time.

So where do we go from there?

• Bring in some big name players such as Houston etc. and keep going hard as Cripps and co are in their prime while also hoping that some of the often injured players can get back on the park?
  • Try and clear out some of those players and do a little mini rebuild as we go, while injecting some youth and hopefully some pace into the team if we can. Probably the best option but harder to do than to say, as we wont get much for those players.
  • Go back into rebuild mode, which I doubt Voss would be too keen on.

He's 27 and he's been All-Australian the last two years...
He's durable (barely missed a game the last three years), can kick the ball better than anyone we have in our team (only Mitch McGovern in our entire squad has better disposal efficiency) + he's averaged over 11,200 metres gained per season the last two years (more than any of our current players).

We struggle to move the ball out of half back and indeed with our precision inside 50 (in 2023 he had 113 x Inside 50's!).

No brainer.

I don’t get the no to Houston on here. He’s an A Grader add would add so much to us.

We lack quality foot skills. Champion Data rate him the number 1 kick in the AFL.

100% agree it’s a no brainier. He is exactly the type of player we need.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No brainer.

The other thing I would add is "only a half back". Such a furphy these days, at least one quality attacking half back is essential to any team wanting to reach the pointy end of the season. Two would be even better.

This "oh half back, easiest position on the ground" mentality is very outdated.

Mannagh was given two games early and then was sent to the VFL for 15 rounds.

Is that rotting in the 2s? Or just good development?

Humphries didn't get a game until round 16. Was he left to rot?

Also worth noting both of these players are mature-age. Same as Cincotta - who was given 16 games by Voss in his debut year.

What do you say to this?

There is a big difference in playing in a competitive VFL side as Geelong, who are still playing finals compared to a VFL side who are struggling to be competitive. Our young players played along side very little AFL experienced players because they were always injured.
Pretty hard to learn a system when you're chasing butt all day. Binns first year in, wins the VFL BnF and gets selected in the VFL team of the year, who is he learning from on field?
We seem to select our VFL regulars when all the names ahead of them have run out.
We can't compare ourselves to Geelong in any way, shape or form.

I don’t get the no to Houston on here. He’s an A Grader add would add so much to us.

We lack quality foot skills. Champion Data rate him the number 1 kick in the AFL.

If we were purely discussing ability and what he brings then I agree. No brainer. He's a gun

The issue is, many of us believe we have more than one big issue to solve. Houston will likely cost 2 x 1st rounders and a lot of money. That will cost us young players and maybe others in the future. He has probably 2-3 years playing at his elite level. It's a big gamble

I worry about putting everything into one player. It rarely works so I wouldn't do it but I can see why people are keen

No you weren't. As we discussed we had some "clashes" over opinions but we discussed it in a message like people should. We understood each others reasons and move on

TBH you showed a lot of class and grace and it was great.

I'm wrong a lot. Need to keep an open mind

Vast majority here are excellent and I really enjoy some of the discussions especially when we have a different opinion.

This explains your avatar, you’re definitely one of the last hot airbenders!! :tearsofjoy: :straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were purely discussing ability and what he brings then I agree. No brainer. He's a gun

The issue is, many of us believe we have more than one big issue to solve. Houston will likely cost 2 x 1st rounders and a lot of money. That will cost us young players and maybe others in the future. He has probably 2-3 years playing at his elite level. It's a big gamble

I worry about putting everything into one player. It rarely works so I wouldn't do it but I can see why people are keen

Would you do it for one 1st rounder and some change?

No brainer.
It is getting sucked in to a name. It is not what he has done in the past. It is what he does in the future. He is 28. He sucks up cap space for De Konig. In 2 years he is a true veteran. Look at all the skeletons in the closet

Daisy Thomas, Mitch Mcgovern, Zac Williams, Adam Cerra. Only Saad has been a success & justifies a first rounder. Even if we swap pick 11 for a 2nd rounder coming back

We have seen this type of trade as the solution for 20 years. It does not work. Look, how Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn mainly recruit role players for needs & they don't pay this type of salary or first rounders
Grundy 2nd Rounder and Pick 46
Ollie Henry - pick 25
Jack Bowes - paid to take.

The Elijah Hollands, Acres Deals are the model. Mark my words we get a season or 2 of "a sugar hit" but this is not how to build sustained success. We are heading back to the depths of the ladder, if we are not careful

I would happily recruit Houston.... if the price is right.

But as we've discussed multiple times, we have several holes in our list and with a Future First gone (+whatever else) for Houston - to make any of the other moves we need (fast skilled mids, 3rd tall forward, small forwards) we'd need to sell some of our current assets, which kind of makes it a moot point.
Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Think our list is in a crossroad and based on previous experience - recruiting the big name player has not worked for us and I really don't know if it's the right move here either.

Would you do it for one 1st rounder and some change?

Tempting. If we could somehow keep this years first and get Houston I would definitely go for it (as long as it doesn't cost us TDK with the SC)

Part of me believes we need to go full on this year and make 8-10 changes. 3-4 of these needs to be talented youth

The 'no' that people have is in regards to cost.
He would absolutely help our team.

Cost/benefit when there are limited resources (salary cap/trade capital) is where the discussion is.

I don’t think the club has a big name syndrome like some are implying. I don’t think we have used any more trade capital than other clubs in recent years. We actually have kept our first round picks a lot over the past decade.

Having said that Houston is not what we need. He would undoubtedly make us different in a very positive way. He is a gun and I watch every Port game. Just would cost too much.

For the right player (young, fast, skilful) would gladly give up quality draft picks, just not for Houston at his age, salary and what Port are asking.

Suggestion to Mods on this thread/site as this has been happening for years and years with the same, sad result.

Just like would-be bluemourers spouting nonsense with no backup (not sure how but I'm sure mods do some due diligence and know who's full of it)... surely there could be some kind of impact or action against posters pissing on posters (like your DQs and Soapys) for simply sharing info?

If you don't like what's being shared or want to have a go, thread-ban. Bang.

Not sure as a mod if or how this could happen but it's pretty bloody easy in retrospect to find culprits from recent bluemours.

Reason being that this thread creates some of the most active, engaged conversation (and often hope) for months of the year around draft, selections and player movement so is in the site's best interest to preserve potential good sharers of information.

Cheers.

i love trade rumours. true is nice, but i enjoy ridiculous ones too. it ain't life and death. they're rumours, not etched in stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back