Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll preface this by saying we need to be paying Owies and keeping him and its offensive that he hasn't been presented with an offer yet. We literally have no proven smalls coming in and performing like he has been.

But what would his value be in a trade as a 33-goal a year small forward?

My question is, is it ability or game style?

IMO at their best Saad, Boyd, Docherty, McGovern, Weitering are all very good ball users if used properly. Cowan is a very good kick, as is Cincotta and Wilson.

I am not sure Hawks defenders are elite kicks but the way they run and turn defence into attack seems to breed confidence and trust

When we have the ball we look up and see no options and just bomb it down the line
In my time playing footy, I have been a really good kick, something I can say though, no matter how good you can kick, you are only as good as your targets.

Our "bad kicking" problem isn't all it's made out to be. A lot of our targets up field are covered. Mostly because many have really poor overhead games or aren't really good runners and don't gain separation. In the Brisbane games we kit up Kemp on a couple of really hard leads. It's not something many of our players can offer.

If you are getting out run and out paced your kicking is going to look horrendous.

In the modern game where zone defending is a thing, you need to be able to run and carry the footy. This breaks down the zone, it makes zoned defenders panic and it creates space, we don't have the run and carry through the middle. Give our mids the ball with space in front of them and how often do they get mowed down?

I don't think the way we play is game plan at all, we simply don't have the players to run the ball from stoppage, run hard and gain separation to be marking targets and we don't have enough run and carry options in the middle.

We have been torched by a lot of quick sides and made a few of the other slower ones look silly. We are just stuck in the middle because we are one of the sides who have failed to get up to scratch with the change in the modern style of play.

Our list management and the direction our list management team have been getting have to be questionable.

I don't think we have huge issues in our defence. I think our defence would love to have the trust in the onball group to be able to play loser and attack more but they don't and rightly so. The forwards and the backs have been crucified by our onball groups inability to defend and run.

Hawks have a quick, tough and hard working midfield. Their defenders can afford to position offensively and attack more. Their mids really run and carry the footy and get it into the forward line quick. They are hard to play against, they have become a much better side than we are. I think they are just one of the many sides who have been working towards a team that suites the modern game while we have continued to try and build one that suites 2020 rolling maul congestion ball which is done and dusted and has been for 3 years now.

I'll preface this by saying we need to be paying Owies and keeping him and its offensive that he hasn't been presented with an offer yet. We literally have no proven smalls coming in and performing like he has been.

I would want a Pick under 35 or I'm keeping him

Laverde is contracted, will have to trade.
I don't think we really need another older 3rd tall as we have JSOS returning next year.

Draft a Pacy mid forward and KDP

We need another 2 genuine KPP. McMahon being the forward back up as a rookie. Hawks got the decent KPDs going around and we shouldn't reach for a player like Murray or Howard or like Port did last year with RG or BZT. Young was serviceable in the last couple of weeks. I would back him in

Sorry mate you lost me in trying to compare Mcgovern & Cerra's output to Franklin, Cameron and Dangerfields'

not sure that's what's being said at all.

I read Coops93 position as one that suggests trading fair value picks for players (Gov & Cerra) has been relatively successful for us compared to FA acquisitions.

Coops then provides some mitigation for Sydney etc picking up Franklin (access to academy players offsets cost of acquisition etc) as a contrast with our FA acquisitions.

Or at least that's how I read it... although I thought Cats traded for Cameron after the bid was matched.

Laverde would be an OK get as a backup tall, I can’t help but feel like Plow was still better than him though

He’s an absolute 🛻 If he’s not leading the worst contest win % for a backman in the comp I’ll be shocked.
Essendon mates can’t stand him and yes not good enough to tie the Plows shoelaces

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Or at least that's how I read it... although I thought Cats traded for Cameron after the bid was matched.
You're right, it was. Which further illustrates my point that Geelong do actually pay for expensive players as he was traded for 3 first round picks. 5x first round picks for 2 players, that are their 2 most important players.

The idea that we just look for messiah type players while they just recruit bit parts players and find excellent roles for them is a myth, yes they have done that, but they've also traded for the bluest of blue chip players and paid for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree with the first bit.

2nd round pick is the value.

Owies has trade value, but also, he doesn't really play as a small forward for us. It's the way he fits into the team.

Both Motlop and Durdin are more talented, and a lot younger (7 & 5 years).
Fantasia is a stop-gap for another year.

No club in the league would trade away their third highest goal scorer

I would want a Pick under 35 or I'm keeping him
Although he does turn 28 before the start of the 2025 season - basically the same age as Houston, where you could equally question his value based on his age.

I agree though that a pick somewhere around 35-40 is probably around his value - or possibly even a pick upgrade.

Ben Affleck Rain GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

No club in the league would trade away their third highest goal scorer
Cameron, Lynch, C Cameron, Hogan, Stringer, Chol, B Brown, E Betts ... good forwards move in trades all the time and generally elicit good value.
Owies is a good forward but I won't be concerned if he goes for a second rounder.

There are fewer leaks at the club these days, and there’s no problem, a new crow bar could jimmy something open maybe😝

This may be common knowledge, however posting anyway. Bartel has had on going discussions with Carlton/Cook about coming on board.

We're not the only club and the AFL are also in to him.

Imo it's either us or AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back