Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know our social media team are amazing but I really feel we should add Daniel Gorringe to the team if he isn’t already on it. I really resonate with his optimism. The lid is off

If true congrats to Dow for getting a longer offer, but he may still knock that back for more opportunity elsewhere. I'd imagine he would start just behind Kelly at West Coast every week.

If he stays he will be behind Cripps, Walsh and Cerra and will still be fighting amongst Kennedy, George and then (hopefully) up and coming Carroll and some draftees.

Paddy being offered 2-3yrs! That’s going to make selection a doozy for a few weeks.
“We want u at the club but you’re not best 22” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
Yes, depth is fantastic for the club, but if he’s not playing he’s giving up a massive chunk of prime years. This will be interesting to see play out.

These days you can get “half minimum chips” whatever that is about.

And at our local on Blackshaws Rd Altona - their is minimum chips for $6 - but you can get a small chips for $4.

🤣🤣🤣
Small minimum?

What kind of world are we living in!?

If true congrats to Dow for getting a longer offer, but he may still knock that back for more opportunity elsewhere. I'd imagine he would start just behind Kelly at West Coast every week.

If he stays he will be behind Cripps, Walsh and Cerra and will still be fighting amongst Kennedy, George and then (hopefully) up and coming Carroll and some draftees.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up at the Pies, Mitchell looks like he’s cooked & he would be pretty handy supplying the light weights who don’t like getting there hands dirty in that side - I would prefer that over the Saints or *

Great news, Paddy had bugger all support here a month or 2 ago.
please don't confuse lack of support for a player with "let the coaches coach"............

Dow is a good thing to retain and we'd probably replace his list spot with a young mid anyway and we also have Binns and Cowan in the wings. I'd be;
  • offloading LOB for nothing, even pay 20% of his remaining year if required.
  • retire Ed and ask him to be part of coaching and play a year or two in the 2's to help the kids
  • Philp and Honey think we sadly release them and maybe consider rookie-ing one of them
  • Mirkov sorry we'll help you out with your medical issues and support you there but time to remove from list
  • One of S.Durdin or Young to be offloaded and maintain Akuei as cheaper cover and draft/trade for a key defender if possible
  • And one that may be hard to swallow.. one of C.Durdin/Fogarty should be considered moving on for better opportunity and potential salary cap relief

Dow is a good thing to retain and we'd probably replace his list spot with a young mid anyway and we also have Binns and Cowan in the wings. I'd be;
  • retire Ed and ask him to be part of coaching and play a year or two in the 2's to help the kids
  • Philp and Honey think we sadly release them and maybe consider rookie-ing one of them
  • Mirkov sorry we'll help you out with your medical issues and support you there but time to remove from list
  • One of S.Durdin or Young to be offloaded and maintain Akuei as cheaper cover and draft/trade for a key defender if possible
  • And one that may be hard to swallow.. one of C.Durdin/Fogarty should be considered moving on for better opportunity and potential salary cap relief
I think you have covered it rather well. 2 others to consider for going: Plowman, Carroll (although IMO I'd like us to be able to keep Carroll, but it may be better for all parties if he's afforded a chance elsewhere).

Edit: I'd also like us to keep both Durds and Fog...

Happy for Paddy, why would he go anywhere else when the club is flying and the chance of a premiership(s) is a distinct possibility. I have a feeling that he values his place at the cfc and fully appreciates the situation he finds himself in.
Increase his upper body strength to get the handball out in a tackle will compliment his positioning and general contested work, he just needs someone/something to unlock his appetite for defensive running and watch this young man smash the door off its hinges.

Great news, Paddy had bugger all support here a month or 2 ago.

Kicker on this if true will be whether Paddy is happy to wait for injuries to occur to get a senior gig or go elsewhere for most likely guaranteed game time.

Unless the coaching staff have had a change of heart in terms of what he brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

please don't confuse lack of support for a player with "let the coaches coach"............

I'll be honest and put my hand up and admit I wasn't as supportive as Paddy as I should have and wanted him moved on several weeks ago.

Absolutely delighted Dow has really made me eat humble pie and hope he does stick around at our great club.

He has really come through for the club when we needed him to the most in the past month or so, a real testament to his character and ticker !

I think you have covered it rather well. 2 others to consider for going: Plowman, Carroll (although IMO I'd like us to be able to keep Carroll, but it may be better for all parties if he's afforded a chance elsewhere).

Edit: I'd also like us to keep both Durds and Fog...
Forgot about Plow, yes he'd be great value for a North I'd think who will lose Ziebel and McKay. Carroll I'd retain and basically do the Dark Knight equivalent of "we'll be having try outs" with some of our young mids in 24 to see who we should retain before off-loading next year as most likely with the Campo twins looking quite promising we're going to have an influx of young midfielder types.

It’s easier to get a Western Australian player to a Victorian club than it is to get a Victorian to WA. Dow to West Coast or Fremantle was never a realistic option IMO.

Hopefully Dow accepts it and wants to stay. Couldn’t blame him if he wanted to move to a club with more senior time.
Because finally he can smell what's cooking. Team mates appear to really like him (he's a right footed Pendles)... he lives with 3 team mates who he must be really close with and who've undoubtedly backed him... he may have ticked off those things to work on and now he's repaying the faith, the list management and coaches are ready to return the favour.

And where would he likely go (in terms of who can afford him or who is not going to be a cellar dweller for a couple more years)?

A couple more years takes him to free agency, and he now is a much better known quantity providing that depth required to keep the group of mids around him on their toes to up their games/training to get into that 22.

A lot of posters wanted him traded for sfa, had no future in the AFL and not given games coz 'he won't be at Carlton next year". I'll confess to not supporting giving Ed so many games this season because it reduced the opportunities of younger players on our list.
He still might be gone, but at least he's been given a chance to prove that he can football.

Agree with some of this, but I don't think we should offload depth just for the sake of freeing up space. Sure, if we have someone in mind to bring in and we need to free up cash then we should consider a move, but I think we keep our depth as best as we can.

No to letting go of C Durdin, I have high hopes for him and we haven't seen him in this 'new' Cartlon that would be way easier to play in (especially in his position). And Fog, why let him go? Won't be on much at all. It's hard to maintain high forward pressure for a whole game let along a whole season, I believe that the depth of pressure forwards will be a strength of ours next year. Swap them in and out as needed, but having a glut of small forwards who can come in and pressure will be big for us.

Also keep L Young. When he has a clear role he has largely done alright, thinking back to Gold Coast game where he had to pinch in the ruck and just compete with Witts. And he has looked most solid in defence when we didn't have Weiters last year. If Weiters goes down then I'd back him in to be the number one tall down there.

Certainly some tough calls to be made though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back