Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to play Nostradamus.

Melbourne deny they will trade him.

They start getting linked with high value players all over the comp. Mac Andrew, Max King, Ben King etc.

Finals ramps up, and the noise around Trac dies down.

Brownlow night, he doesn't show, teammates look awkward when he gets votes.

Day or so after GF, Melbourne says they will have chats, but intend to keep Christian.

Will they, won't they for the whole of trade week.

Big deal lands on the last day or so where Christian gets traded and Melbourne land a target or two as well as draft picks.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where? Collingwood? They don't have the picks?
Tigers? Petracca would be stupid to go there.
Essendon? See above.
Hawthorn? Does it give the big enough crowds Petracca wants and do they want to waste two years of draft capital when they're in a rebuilding phase for a 29 year old?

Anyone else? Doesn't fit the parameters of a big Melbourne club, certainly all would be smaller than Melbourne from that point.
If Collingwood want Petracca they will find a way to get enough picks to satisfy Melbourne one way or another. Noble, Hill, etc. players won’t be pushed but they will ask the question

I’ve solved it.

McKay + 11 for Petracca

Curnow + F1 for Houston.

Problem solved 😎 this list management gig is easy!
You’ve been around at Numbe3rs place having a tea like beverage haven’t you.

How often do we see players (esp gun players) end up at a Club that is not their preference or within the parameters of their preference? It’s rare enough to assume it’s not going to happen to Trac.

He may well be open to other clubs, but no chance it’ll be a club that looks stuck to the bottom the next few years.

Most likely scenario is that he gets to his first choice.

Petracca is contracted and has little say.

Collingwood don’t have the picks but the players to get it done. Plus if they get something good for Noble, that could be in play.

If he wants to leave and Richmond / Essendon are offering the best deal, they will deal with them instead. Petracca seems like the type of player to see where the most likely deal will occur before requesting a trade. If he wants to leave badly enough, Richmond and Essendon are on the table.
You're confusing yourself here. As you say Petracca is contracted, so if he doesn't want go to Richmond or Essendon - he has EVERY say in the matter. He holds all the cards. Melbourne's options are trade him to where he wants to go (Collingwood or Carlton) or hold him to his contract. There are no alternatives.

How often do we see players (esp gun players) end up at a Club that is not their preference or within the parameters of their preference? It’s rare enough to assume it’s not going to happen to Trac.

He may well be open to other clubs, but no chance it’ll be a club that looks stuck to the bottom the next few years.

Most likely scenario is that he gets to his first choice.
Tom Papley still haunts me

McKay for Tracca is seems too much of a stretch. Looked what happend when both of went down, a weird make-shift fwd line, imagine if we trade one or the other and they went down.... we be in serious trouble. TDK is just a modernized ruck who can kick goals, I don't want him playing as a KPF...

You're confusing yourself here. As you say Petracca is contracted, so if he doesn't want go to Richmond or Essendon - he has EVERY say in the matter. He holds all the cards. Melbourne's options are trade him to where he wants to go (Collingwood or Carlton) or hold him to his contract. There are no alternatives.

Not confusing myself. Maybe I just didn't make myself clear enough.

If he does not want to go to Richmond or Essendon, sure he has a say. Just like Melbourne has a say to reject trading him at all. He has little say. He does not hold "all the cards" as Melbourne could just outright refuse and as you mentioned and hold him to his contract.

There is nothing to say he wants to go to Carlton either. I saw a video of him saying he wanted to go to Collingwood so there is a lead there. Nothing to say he wouldn't want to go to Richmond or Essendon either. So it is all just speculation at this point.

Not having a crack 4FI5Y but why would you hate Danger for a fair hit? We’d have loved to see the same from a Carlton player.

He’s been one of the hardest players in the comp for 15+ years. I’d have loved him in navy blue.

Unrelated but kind of related - I saw Darren Milburn in a bar a few weeks ago. He gave my the thumbs up for my Carlton scarf 😆 I grew to like Milburn despite the hit on SOS (who was my fav player). Everyone is allowed a mistake.
yeah ok, the contest in itself was ok.... plenty of other stuff from Dangerfield, on and off field, comfortably justify the tag imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have no tradable assets and almost no draft capital to use

They do have tradable assets but it all depends on whether they want to use them. No draft capital needed really if they use their players but they could still give away a future first.

Would not discount them at all in this. Particularly if they are interested

They do have tradable assets but it all depends on whether they want to use them. No draft capital needed really if they use their players but they could still give away a future first.

Who could they trade for picks? Their whole list is stacked with older players and players that are integral to their future. Maybe you can afford to bugger off a McReery or Quaynor type but they aren't getting you near the cost of Petracca

Who could they trade for picks? Their whole list is stacked with older players and players that are integral to their future. Maybe you can afford to bugger off a McReery or Quaynor type but they aren't getting you near the cost of Petracca

From what I have read, Noble is likely leaving to Gold Coast so that would be a pick.

Pies fans seem to want to get rid of Lipinski (stupid decision imo) but if that were to happen, there is another that a pick will come attached. Bobby Hill's name has also been discussed for trade on here. Unsure if that one will happen but it is possible.

I also would not rule out them getting rid of a big name such as De Goey to add to the trade capital. They definitely have players to work with there.

3 way trade involving Saints (Max King)

If it happens, someone is going to have to get real creative.

‘Professional Suicide’

Doesn't seem that vitriolic in any way to me, if anything seems quite pragmatic.

The Professional Suicide line in context isn't anywhere near as inflamattory as it seems as a headline. He basically said the approach they took (for which he was part of and endorsed) was the career suicide, not going to Carlton in broader terms.

I think in retrospect all of us would agree with that. Pushing people out over 30 early, 45 player turnover in 3 years, relying too much on youngsters and not having on field leadership was what he was referring to, not Carlton.

Again, if they want Petracca they will find a way
Not without giving away one of their top three players & Future 1st rounder.
They are not releasing the Daicos boys & Melbourne need a forward, Pies lack key forwards
Any club will need to give up alot, don't see it happening with them at all, no 1st round pick makes it extremely difficult.

From what I have read, Noble is likely leaving to Gold Coast so that would be a pick.

Pies fans seem to want to get rid of Lipinski (stupid decision imo) but if that were to happen, there is another that a pick will come attached. Bobby Hill's name has also been discussed for trade on here. Unsure if that one will happen but it is possible.

I also would not rule out them getting rid of a big name such as De Goey to add to the trade capital. They definitely have players to work with there.
At best they might get a few late 2nd rounders for most of them. Hill I'd have in the untradable category and if they traded Degoey they'd be selling him at an all time low. Cant see it happening but each to their own

What assets are tradable?

Their only pick in the first two rounds is 32..

They’ll get 34 for Noble you’d think, so:

If they get Trac, the assumption from Melbourne would be that the Pies would be going deep in 2025, putting their first in 2025 at 14 or so.

14 (2025), 32,34 and F2 (32 or so) is not going to be enough for Trac.

If they are to get this done, it’s going to need to be a player outside their core stars that they cannot afford to lose (Cameron, Daicos x2, Moore, Maynard, JDG) and it’ll need to be someone relatively young (so not Mitchell, Howe, Sidebottom, Pendles, Elliott, Crisp, McStay)

What does that leave?

Bobby Hill
Ed Allan
Beau McCreery
Issac Quaynor

I think of those, Hill and Quaynor are worth a late first and Allan/McCreery are mid to late seconds at most

Allan has huge scope too, so would they trade him?

I don’t think they can get it done without emptying two years of the draft at the pointy end (leading into Tasmania) and getting rid of a best 22 player.

Huge outgoing with an aging list profile and Tasmania going in. They would almost guarantee bottom four for 5+ years as they’d be so hamstrung for future movements in the years to come. Would Nick stick around and play for a poor club during the peak of his career?

Seems like list suicide

I remember the Judd trade. Pick 3, Pick 20 and Josh Kennedy, a Pick 4 promising young key position player. We gave a huge amount for Judd, albeit he was only 24. Plus, not all first rounders are equal.

I'd say Petracca would want other clubs as well, but they don't have the currency to do the deal.
We also got a cult figure out of it and one of the fastest players I’ve ever seen. Yazz’s second goal… Army starts 15m behind him.

The topic of the day :
Like most here, my initial reaction to H for Petracca was .. no bloody way !!
After a lot of thought and discussion, I’m now of the belief that it is indeed the way to go for Carlton.
Carlton needs to be relevant again.
We’ve been too long in the football wilderness.
We need to win a premiership with this group … we need 17 !!
Working backwards from there, the obvious question for me is, can this group win a premiership without a beastmode Cripps leading the charge?
The answer for me is no, but he is going to need some serious help.
Beastmode Cripps probably has 2 seasons left, 3 at a stretch which would take Charlie, Weitering and Harry to 30yo in any case.
So for mine, we have a 3 year window to get the job done.
Beastmode Petracca fits this timeline perfectly and is exactly the crucial piece we are missing.
Recent history shows that the explosive goal kicking midfielder is now the driving force in footy and usually delivers the Norm Smith medalist these days.
Dusty and Danger, DeGoey and Petracca himself have all been “the man” with this season, Heeney, Worner, Horne-Francis, Raynor or Bont likely to feature.
Again, my initial reaction was … Charlie can’t carry the forward line alone !!
The reality is, he doesn’t have to.
There’s not much Harry can do that TDK can’t and I’d wager that the King is more aggressive in nature.
Both physically imposing, athletic left footers who can seriously clunk the sherrin.
Kemp shaping nicely as the 3rd banana.
“But we’ll miss the Kings groundwork around the stoppage” I hear you say …
With Cripps, Petracca, Walsh and a fit Cerra in play, I say it won’t be necessary.
History is also littered with premiership teams that run a blue collar ruckman.
Ruckman traditionally don’t win grand finals, their role is to deliver a physical presence and contest for their team, something that the best of Pittonet is capable of.
So we’re now all in on 17 within the 3 year Cripps/Petracca beastmode window.
Houston : again fits this timeline perfectly and apparently wants Carlton.
Aleer : would be a great fit and has apparently been approached.
Hewett becomes expensive backup so could be traded to North who are in the market for a professional, hard nosed, experienced midfielder (Viney) to assist their developing young midfield.
Owies and perhaps Martin would yield some trade return.
Marchbank, Cuningham and S.Durdin moved on for list spots and a little salary cap relief.

In : Petracca
Out : McKay

In : Houston
Out : 2024 1st and 2nd rounder

In : Aleer
Out : 2025 1st rounder

In : Campo x 2
Out : trade returns on Hewett, Owies, Martin and existing 2024 3rd rounders.

So for the sake of the discussion we now have :

Saad Weitering McGovern
Houston Aleer Cowan
Walsh Cripps Acres
Hollands TDK Williams
Motlop Curnow Kemp

Pittonet Petracca Cerra

Docherty Hollands Kennedy Durdin Cincotta

I recall Scott promising Dangerfield that the club would do everything possible to strive for a premiership.
In the background, no doubt Cook was doing his thing and Cameron was delivered to get the job done.
At Carlton, Cripps is the key and the driving force towards 17.
With Cook again in the background doing his thing, maybe Petracca will be delivered to again get the job done.
Going all the way back to Barrassi, Carlton have always chased the best to be the best.
Sticks, Braddles and Rhys in 87
Diesel in 95
It’s the Carlton DNA
Perhaps we need to embrace it rather than fight it in the pursuit of 🏆 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back